Jade Carey laid out triple double

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

It was fairly clear to me.
Covid-19 cancellations changed dates and everything. Otherwise it was very clear…though the Careys seemed to think otherwise or maybe they were playing dumb the whole time, either way USAG caved into them and additionally, the whole matter would not be an issue if USAG put in the criteria that should a gymnast choose the individual route then they forfeit their eligibility for the main team. One or the other, not both.

I’m sure there’s an obvious answer I’m missing… but why couldn’t USAG have sent a B team to Pan Ams to try and grab a non-nominative spot? Wouldn’t that pre-empt Jade’s nominative spot, given that the chronology got reversed?

Or dis the Doha announcement just come too late for such scheming?
No, the order of awarding spots will still be Event World Cups, AA World Cups (replaced with top 3 NOCs from 2019 world team prelims), and finally continental championships.

Since Jade mathematically clinched her spot via vault, regardless of what happens in Doha, and the US was awarded an NOC spot via the world AA cup process, there’s no point in going to Pan Ams.

I am sure US would have sent a few ladies had Pan Ams been held in Utah as originally planned.
Most likely Skinner, McCallum, Eaker, and one other. Specifically because of the University of Utah connection.
They weren’t eligible (well Skinner was) to get a plus one but it would have been silly to host an event and not send anyone.

DiCello, Blakely, McClain, Finnegan, Emily Lee, or even Jones would have likely placed in the top 2 eligible AA participants or even won outright.

But like you said once the World Cup AA were reassigned and with Carey clinching the VT and FX spot it was all but a done deal.

I wish I could be a fly on the wall when Valentina sees that. In the unlikely case Skinner makes the team, the US would have three triple doubles.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back