Jade Carey laid out triple double

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

The tucked version should be her routine version. She should only think about doing the LO version to get it named. She should go to Doha World Cup and do it.

The rules don’t say you need to start or end the pass in bounds. As long as she TAKES OFF in bounds, and doesn’t fall, she would get it named.

I would love to see her get it named, it’s cool and honestly, good for her. Kind of makes me like her a little more. Props to her. It finally appropriately highlights her gifts in a singularly unique, if not interesting or beautiful way.

I would LOVE to see her throw it while starting fully out of bounds. A big middle finger to all the rules. It would cement her legacy as the ultimate loophole opportunist.

Even if all she does is the tucked version, the fact that we could have two triple-doubles in the Olympic floor final is astounding. But we knew from 2017 onward that Jade had the technique to pull off this kind of gymnastics, and I’m so happy her quad has come to fruition like this.

And I think her solid technical ability is why she’s been able to become usable on UB/BB over the years as well. She’s proven that she’s not just a power gymnast like Skinner, but rather that she understands mechanics and is able to replicate technique reliably.

I agree. She is obviously not a “natural” on bars and her beam is quite slow and deliberate, but all the pieces are there and she makes the best use of them. We’re never going to rave about her toe point or extension or dance, but she reliably gets the job done.

I’ll admit, I don’t want her on the team of 4 because she already has her spot, but she could bring big numbers for team usa and with China and Russia getting infusions of new talent…I can see the argument for her VT and FX scores (pending scoring).

I wouldn’t be surprised if Carey ended up on the 4 person team because of her scores. She has to want that team gold medal, who wouldn’t. Going for her own earned spot was like insurance if she didnt do well enough as an all-arounder. Girl has to look out for herself because USAG sure didn’t.

They can’t put Jane and Suni on the team. And I’d put Suni on the team over Jade. Unless Suni gets injured.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Carey ended up on the 4 person team because of her scores. She has to want that team gold medal, who wouldn’t. Going for her own earned spot was like insurance if she didnt do well enough as an all-arounder. Girl has to look out for herself because USAG sure didn’t.
I’m sure others will be able to articulate what I am trying to say much better than I but IF Jade decides to be on the 4 person team, she screwed another US gymnast from realizing their Olympic chance and that is so selfish and wrong as the USA will have lost one of the 2 +1s they had

LOVE Jade’s laid out triple double! 🤩 I hope that she gets it named for her at the Games!

And I just don’t believe that Tom is going to toss away that extra spot on the team. Imo, he’s just not going to give Jade one of the 4 team spots.

With Simone’s built-in lead Tom can afford to leave Jade off the main team. We shall see. Somebody will get left out of a medal when the rules are like they are. We need larger teams and no Byzantine rules.

Last edited:
Two problems though.

First, she incurs significant landing deductions not to mention she’s landing on a safety mat.

Second, she starting this tumbling line way past the OOB marker.

I don’t think she can do this from a FX corner and land it without falling forward with no safety mat.

Last edited:
Well it will be interesting to see if Jade goes for it at the Games! Simone went for her tumbles, even if she often bounced oob!

It’s the same weekend as Olympic Trials, no way is she missing Trials

I tried explaining the qualification rules and Jade’s situation to my husband while we were watching Classics podium training together.
He was so confused and said it sounded like they were making things up as they go. By the end of my poor attempt at explaining it, he was annoyed because he couldn’t understand it.

He was impressed with Simone’s YDP. But he also thought MyKayla’s bars were impressive.

I agree. But apparently Carey wants to do Trials so she can go for the 4 person team.
There is no deadline given by USAG to accept or not and have stated publicly that she can decline the spot.

She is guaranteed a spot at the Olympics, she is now being greedy and trying to make the 4 person team.
That’s not her fault though, it’s the stupidity of USAG.

If she doesn’t qualify to Trials (top 8 only) USAG doesn’t have to grant her a petition. They will invite her for sure, but I wonder if they will stipulate that she did not qualify for the Trials but they are inviting her to exhibition as prep for the Olympics.

I’m sure there’s an obvious answer I’m missing… but why couldn’t USAG have sent a B team to Pan Ams to try and grab a non-nominative spot? Wouldn’t that pre-empt Jade’s nominative spot, given that the chronology got reversed?

Or dis the Doha announcement just come too late for such scheming?

One possibility I haven’t seen brought up is if Jade finishes 3rd/4th AA across Nats + Trials and Tom puts her on the team because he doesn’t want to have to make any hard decisions.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back