Gymnasts that have opposite roundoff and twisting

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Okay, so I’ve been triggered. This is a very confusing thing for me, and I think it’s why I was never able to truly twist backwards. I do my round-offs and walkovers lefty. When I jump, leap, and spin, I always go to the right (and this makes sense because it’s easiest to do switch side leaps the same way). When I did front-halfs/baranis I twisted the same way I would my round-offs. I’m also able to do arabians in the pool and I twist to my right to do that. Am I weird?

Last edited:
Okay, so I’ve been triggered. This is a very confusing thing for me, and I think it’s why I was never able to truly twist backwards. I do my round-offs and walkovers lefty. When I jump, leap, and spin, I always go to the right (and this makes sense because it’s easiest to do switch side leaps the same way). When I did front-halfs/baranis I twisted the same way I would my round-offs. I’m also able to do arabians in the pool and I twist to my right to do that. Am I weird?
A left (left foot forward) roundoff is actually a right twist. In other words… as you move into the roundoff towards the ground… the right shoulder moves backwards. If you did baranis just like your roundoff… then everything would be consistent. You would be a lefty right. Left foot roundoff… right twister. You are the type of gymnast I am talking about in this thread.

Last edited:
Gervasio Deferr is literally the ONLY gymnast ever to compete a “genuine” Tsuk with more than two twists, as far as I know. He did the 2.5 twist and won an Olympic gold medal on vault for the 2nd time — a remarkable result given that those were probably the only two major vault finals he ever made. Look how crazy it looks coming off the table — it looks like it has more post-flight twist (and frankly it does)
This is totally awesome… I have had one gymnast able to do a twisting tsuk with this style. Cruise style slide up into the air while still doing a tsuk style vault. Just awesome!
On the other hand, he also learned to block on the left! Check out his Shirai 3 (Scherbo with 2 post-flight twists instead of 1). Left block and right twist.
This is pretty nuts. I’ve been walking around the house thinking about this on and off for a couple of hours now.

Not weird, but if you start to think too much about it then it can start to affect progress.

Like Jade does her tumbling twisting to the left, but she spins to the right and her L hop 1/1 and switch 1/1 twist right, but her tour jete 1/2 twists left.

She, like Komova and many others, is a left leg roundoff and a right leg split.

Then you have someone like McCallum who does her switch leaps, switch rings, and side aerials with her left leg but just about everything else with her right. She twists to the right but does her turns and tour jetes to the left. But again her switch 1/2 is to the right because of her splitting leg.

There’s so many examples I could think of. Also, some people do arabians in the opposite direction they normally twist. Hernandez turned to the right for her double arabian but all other skills went left.

I agree with all of that but I do think Jade Carey is an exception in multiple ways there. I’ve never heard of someone having so much variety in turning directions for saltos, spins, and leaps.

I remember when I was a kid, I decided I wanted to try twisting the other way. On the dirt in the backyard, I did work a full both directions and squeaked a 1.5 on my bad side, too. It was VERY weird, and I could not do it consistently and at one point got totally lost in the air. (Maybe not twistees, but a more in-the-moment thing like it). It was kind of funny actually.

Last edited:
I see. I suspect it’s because she had a much better right split. So she learned to do a FHS with her right leg forward to support front hs step-out and front aerials.

Is there anyone else who is like that? Usually, if people have a better split, it’s on the side they hurdle, but there must be other exceptions like Carey…

Apparently Kazuki Minami (aka Kenzo 2.0) is doing roundoff to the board, 3/4 twist onto the table + 2 and 3/4 off.

So it’s like an Amanar with an extra full twist into through the block!

There’s a video, but it sucks. And it’s got “Gagnam Style” in the background. Sorry in advance. After Kenzo…

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back