Gymnast Social Media Megathread

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also wonder how much insurance varies state to state. As self employed and considered ‘healthy’ the base plan I have is about $300/month with $30-60 co-pays plus a $3k deductible. If I had a pre-existing condition, the cost was $650/month with $50-150 co-pays as well as a $7k deductible. And insurance for going to the hospital is a whole other additional plan, it’s not included in that $650/month! This is in TX, for what it’s worth.

Mind you, you can adjust based on your needs and income.

Last edited:
I also wonder how much insurance varies state to state. As self employed and considered ‘healthy’ the base plan I have is about $300/month with $30-60 co-pays plus a $3k deductible. If I had a pre-existing condition, the cost was $650/month with $50-150 co-pays as well as a $7k deductible. And insurance for going to the hospital is a whole other additional plan, it’s not included in that $650/month! This is in TX, for what it’s worth.

Mind you, you can adjust based on your needs and income.
The worst one I had was about $200 a month with a whopping $13k deductible if something went wrong, and coverage was spotty at best. What I have had since I moved is light years better.

Coming from a country with free healthcare (well…taxes) where it’s almost impossible to be uninsured, the American “system” is hard for me to comprehend.

But I just can’t understand how a 55-year-old with past health issues (didn’t she have double hip replacement a few years ago) and 4 children would go uninsured.
I don’t believe the net worth data you can find online. But surely, there must be money somewhere (properties,…?) unless she (and her ex) lived beyond their means. Which, considering his job (isn’t he a high school coach or sth. - that can’t be a very high-paying job?), the house, putting all (?) the girls through gymnastics and her not having a regular job (or does/did she?) might actually be possible.

I actually despise insurance companies. They are almost evil. In the business of denying claims.
I’m not a huge fan of them either but in all fairness, they actually do pay for a lot of routine care. It’s the emergencies that they screw you over on.

I worked in pharmacy for years and I saw many examples of patients paying $50 a month for their medication and grumbling about it (totally fair)… until they learned that without insurance that medication would be $1200.

The people who end up declaring bankruptcy over medical costs are generally people who are uninsured or underinsured and have emergencies like MLR, and people who have serious chronic illnesses like cancer.

The real problem is that insurance premiums go up to astronomical levels when you have a family, which is when people often take the gamble of “we’re not going to get sick!” And then inevitably, they do.

Ironically the ACA made health insurance… maybe a bit more accessible for people who didn’t have it. But it made it much more expensive for people who already did, pushing them over to the side of going without and taking that risk. A real mess.

Last edited:
Ironically the ACA made health insurance… maybe a bit more accessible for people who didn’t have it. But it made it much more expensive for people who already did, pushing them over to the side of going without and taking that risk. A real mess.
That is very true. ACA was an ill conceived disaster

The ACA ended up gutted from what it originally was in order to get it passed in the majority-Republican Congress that also explicitly said they would do everything they could do to prevent Obama from getting any sort of win.

I recently started a job with one of the big tech companies and they pay 100% of my health insurance premium and it’s pretty excellent insurance with an HSA. And it’s one of the reasons why I’m not leaving this place.

IMG_8610

She looks fantastic. I hope she’s healthy and healing after all the blows she had to deal with. If she decides to return to elite gymnastics, I’d be elated, but I hope she’s just finding enjoyment out of the sport.

Maybe that’s the reason why they’re doing it. Probably not, but it appeals to my petty mindset.
Quite the opposite reason. To remind the Deva girls that they could come back at any time they like and beat them

Definately open to being called wrong in my feeling here. I in no way begrudge the Gadrilovas for needing a vacation. Lounge on the beach and take a well deserved rest. But to post on social media about your bubble party beach vacay…in Egypt…considering what is going on next door…seems particularly tone def.
Why is proximity of any relevance? Egypt has nothing to do with what’s going on with Israel and Palestine. Should Egypt close its tourist industry and send everyone home? What would be an acceptable distance away for people to continue enjoying their lives?

Why is proximity of any relevance? Egypt has nothing to do with what’s going on with Israel and Palestine. Should Egypt close its tourist industry and send everyone home? What would be an acceptable distance away for people to continue enjoying their lives?
I will delete. Did not realize I was implying the entire tourism industry of a nation should be destroyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back