Gabby Douglas Comeback Thread (New goal: LA 2028)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

At the very least, I am thrilled to see Gabby’s return. Purely on the fact that it appears she is doing this for herself and seems to be loving gymnastics.

Considering all that she has been through and the pressure she has faced, it is nice to know that she wants this.

I honestly haven’t even thought up a team or any locks besides Simone. Some people like to make predictions. Who cares what their predictions are? There are other gymnasts making comebacks that we haven’t seen and haven’t trained for 9 months like Gabby. She’s a two-time Olympian, it’s not out of this world to predict she’ll make the team.

Last edited:
Simone and Gabby both had rough second Olympics so if that pattern were to hold Suni would be the odd one out.

Simone and Gabby both had rough second Olympics so if that pattern were to hold Suni would be the odd one out.
How did Gabby have a rough 2nd Olympics? She definitely had a rough lead up to the games but team gold and 3rd AA in the world? Not bad

I read reports of extensive online bullying while she was at the 2016 Olympics. (People went crazy when she didn’t smile, or stood respectfully–but w/o her hand over her heart–during the national anthem, when she didn’t seem to cheer enough for Simone, when she fell in bars final . . .) That’s all a bit hearsay but it didn’t sound like a good time despite a third gold medal.

ah… I was thinking during the actual comp
There was an article at the time that said post UB finals, after all the press was finished with, she went to a corner by herself and just cried.

I read reports of extensive online bullying while she was at the 2016 Olympics. (People went crazy when she didn’t smile, or stood respectfully–but w/o her hand over her heart–during the national anthem, when she didn’t seem to cheer enough for Simone, when she fell in bars final . . .) That’s all a bit hearsay but it didn’t sound like a good time despite a third gold medal.
I found the article basically summing it all up. It was an absolute nightmare for her.

Gabby Douglas calls social media critics ‘hurtful’ after ending Olympic career - ESPN

Screen Shot 2023-07-14 at 4.57.42 PM

This jerk has been trashing Gabby on his Twitter page.

Discussions on internet forums are not required to be based in reality when we are in-between competitions.
OK. But surely someone should be able to point out that there is no real basis for hopes or predictions of Gabby making the Olympic Team without people jumping on them.

True.

Unless you count the recent national team training camp my Olympic team is 60% athletes who haven’t competed elite in 2+ years. It’s just more interesting to me to dream about Gabby getting an Olympic UB medal.

Last edited:
Who is he? Google turns up an unrelated baseball player with the same name and an NFL player from the 90s but nothing about this old turnip. I don’t have Twitter, so can’t search his profile. Given the ratio of views to interactions, it sounds like he’s just shouting into the void.

It doesn’t surprise me that people are already gunning for her. As soon as she announced her comeback people were digging up stuff to trash her it’s like an Olympic sport in itself. I’m glad that she still retains her love for the sport and can ignore her haters.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back