FIG 2022-2024 Code Of Points

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Ha on my first look I was tempted to credit this as switch side (B).

If there is NO applicable deduction for height, and it’s only 1 tenth less than a perfect Pak, it would make sense that we see a lot more of it in the next Code!
but wouldn’t lots of people lose connection bonus though since it’s not at least a D?

Can the new rule somehow also fix Tan Xijing’s wolf turn here too? Is that too much to ask?

Yes. But not all Paks are connected. In fact, many gymnasts try when they shouldn’t (it’s not worth chasing that one tenth in D when it results in so much more loss in E).

This looks like a switch 1/2 C to me, with maybe a .1 deduction for body alignment/precision in the split but I don’t think I’d take it…

I don’t think you can take “body alignment” for “legs not parallel to the floor” anymore.

BUT if one leg is in cross split and one leg is in side split (which is I think the case for a lot of these weird hybrids), then the code says you must evaluate it as a cross split and apply the error within your rubric of body shape deductions:

Attachments

• 6A777991-2BE5-41FB-A905-B316E8841793.jpeg
    6A777991-2BE5-41FB-A905-B316E8841793.jpeg
    13.9 KB · Views: 5
I wasn’t thinking a body alignment deduction because of legs not parallel to floor, but because of how severe her torso twist is. I think Tang’s hips are square enough to recognize C. It’s not the most appealing angle of the skill–1:16 wouldn’t look good on too many gymnasts, maybe Nastia. Tang’s leg positioning looks fine to me! She has good turnout so it’s deceiving from this view I think

Looking at the example you posted, Tang’s should definitely receive credit

Last edited:
Why is Álvarez’s dismount only being recognized now? And shouldn’t it say double front with 540?

Just remembered this:

So maybe we should call it the Fontaine II instead of the Chow

Last edited:
no you’re right, it’s actually only me who thinks of the straddle pak as the chow 😀 it doesn’t actually have a name right?

Paks – I think some of you are wrong on this one. A gymnast now can catch a Pak with NO support phase and not get penalized. That’s ridiculous.

Straddle Somie transition – it’s been around a pretty long time, more common yesteryear.

Alvarez High Bar Dismount – I am DELIGHTED to see this finally get acknowledged. I wonder how it happened.

Paks – I think some of you are wrong on this one. A gymnast now can catch a Pak with NO support phase and not get penalized. That’s ridiculous.
Isn’t that the definition of the skill though? Don’t you have to catch in “support”?

Yep, totally. But now, there’s no penalty, it appears. You just need to get your hips above the high bar on release.

Couldn’t they just give it “no credit” though?

Not under the current rules… Maybe someone can submit “Pak to hang” and get it named? LOL.

“Pak to hang”
To me it would seem biomechanically impossible to do this with hips above the high bar in flight.

I don’t know how you could get your hips above the bar and somehow catch to hang.

The only one that I can think of that comes close is Moceanu’s Paks, which were HUGE and were caught to immediate clear hip (I.e. no handstand support)

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back