FIG 2022-2024 Code Of Points

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Moceanu’s is fine – she catches in support and can even work out of it.

Think of the gymnasts who get lots of air and overflip the salto. They get limited, even no, front support.

Last edited:
Example at 1:20 (the 2nd example) This should probably be 0.1 off but is 0. Hips clear the high bar, but weak front support. But the new rules say it’s no deduction because the hips get above the high bar.

This should probably be 0.3 off. Hips clear the high bar, but NO front support at all.

Maybe once I week I take a second to remember that the WTC is so f!cking biased against China to categorize ring jump, ring leap, and Yang Bo as one f!cking element. The new 1/2 jump crossways regulations are going to make the connections look far uglier! It’s so silly how hard they are trying to limit China’s capacity to build routines with high D scores.

Ok… you are starting to convince me here. Every single Pak I can think of that I like would be fine under both the new rules and the old rules. Many (most) of the ones I don’t like would be fine under the new rules… but deducted under the old rules.

Most Paks that don’t catch in support will end with a foot drag or a fall, anyways, or at least a loss of flow and rhythm. There are a few exceptions here and there, frequently very small gymnasts, but not many. The deductions will show up somewhere even if not in angle of completion.

Agreed with KristyJ. I’m also going to go out on a limb and bet that the removal of the angle of completion deduction is because judges had a difficult time with it and were deducting when they shouldn’t and vice versa. So I support the removal.

There’s no deduction for rhythm or flow on bars, but even if there were, I already posted examples that would not be deducted. We will see more of those moving forward.

@YurchenkoLoop I agree that it’s hard to see the catch angles on Pak’s, but you can support the removal without supporting the new rule in its place. A third, better option is simple: “Insufficient support -0.1 -0.3”

To @KristyJ’s point, if the gymnast tries a stalder or hip circle out of a Pak that catches without support, the deductions will show up in the next element — EXCEPT if that element is just a kip.

(Honestly, perhaps that means another option is to make a kip after a 0.1 or 0.3 deduction after a Pak… or any other element ending in support, though there aren’t a lot in world-level gymnastics.)

Last edited:
Poor rhythm in elements is a .1 deduction on bars! I agree with all that you said otherwise.

I hope we see FF + Onodi + split jump + Sissone BDBA .3 to fulfill acro and dance series

EDIT: Concorde reminded that Onodi is not a salto and therefore doesn’t fulfill acro series buttt very cool series nonetheless.

I guess, bring on the Switch ring + Onodi + Ring jump EDD .5

Last edited:
Sorry – yes, there is a bars deduction for “Poor rhythm in elements”. And it’s limited to 0.1. And worse, given how busybody the FIG women’s rules and how strictly they interpret them, I worry that judges will say the connection had bad rhythm and won’t deduct it. I wrongly over-emphasized the connection idea in my mind (and it’s because I had looked at the Twitter feed you posted and saw another Donatella Sacchi clip where she sort of admits that it’s hard to define rhythm in connections on beam, and I was thinking about the fact that such a deduction doesn’t exist on bars even though there are connections there, too, and sometimes non-rhythmic ones!)

The new 1/2 jump crossways regulations are going to make the connections look far uglier! It’s so silly how hard they are trying to limit China’s capacity to build routines with high D scores.
I don’t think an early half turn (ala the way a gymnast would do a Popa) is going to look that much worse than the current technique. Also, while a fair point about ring elements, I disagree that the 1/2 turn rules were targeted at China.
I hope we see FF + Onodi + split jump + Sissone BDBA .3 to fulfill acro and dance series
Unfortunately, a salto is still needed to fulfill the acro series requirement.

Ahhh yes my bad. Thank you. I left an edit on my prior post to avoid spreading misinfo lol

Last edited:
Yes, but a loss of rhythm and flow usually leads to other errors- bent elbows, labored cast handstands or kips, etc…

Check out this thread if you haven’t seen it.

So would Yurchenko be deducted .1 for her face? They’re looking for Omelianchiks?

Me likey this a lot:

What do we think it’d be worth? F?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back