CKC is out at Georgia (Courtney Kupets-Carter)

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

I know the griffiths will be a popular name kicked around. I would go for the Denver coach.
I'd honestly be surprised even though McCool is an alum. Every coach that has taken the job has been eaten alive. Jay may not want to coach forever, so maybe they rather wait at LSU or field other offers.

Not surprising. I wonder who they think is the answer though?
Imo, Georgia’s main issue has been not getting recruits. A big part being the burning of bridges with a major feeder like Georgia elite. Someone with strong links to a top L10 gym could quite quickly turn Georgia’s fortunes around, since it sounds like the financial backing and ambition from the school is still there

reports are that the entire coaching staff has been fired (which i realize that a lot of HC when they are hired fill those positions).....so not sure that firing them all is extraordinary really. I kinda thought that most just fired the HC and then let a new HC decide if they'd like to keep any ACs that wanted to stay on

I'm actually quite shocked. Didn't they renew her contract last year in spite of the team's recent results? I wonder what changed. Maybe it's just time.

I hope Georgia can build back, but given their trajectory recently I'm not entirely convinced that the right coach is the full answer.

I'd honestly be surprised even though McCool is an alum. Every coach that has taken the job has been eaten alive. Jay may not want to coach forever, so maybe they rather wait at LSU or field other offers.
McCool has the edge on CKC here though, because she has a goof amount of coaching experience, and at the NCAA level. CKC's coaching experience was, what? A year of volunteer asst coaching and a couple years coaching rec or something?

I think its a done deal, you don't release the whole staff without knowing who you are hiring. The timing makes sense, right after individual champs, and right before final meet of season. I think by sunday the Giffeths will be announced.

I'm actually quite shocked. Didn't they renew her contract last year in spite of the team's recent results? I wonder what changed. Maybe it's just time.

I hope Georgia can build back, but given their trajectory recently I'm not entirely convinced that the right coach is the full answer.
Yes, I believe she recently got an extension and I'm shocked as well. They made day 2 of regionals, I really thought they'd give it another year.

The more I think about it, the more I am certain they already have an agreement in place, and its going to be someone from a team that is still competing, otherwise they would have announced already. Look at when UCLA got rid of Waller, they kept the staff to ensure some stability and continuity as they transferred to a new head coach, and gave the coach the option of retaining staff that they wanted. Even in college football you usually see 1 or 2 of the old staff stay with the new staff. To completely fire the staff without knowing when you might have a new one is not something Athletic Directors do, especially in today's free transfer environment.

But then again, Im not an athletic director so who knows...

I'm not an athletic director either but if she was on a contract, don't they have to pay the contract anyway? Or some sort of penalty for not fulfilling the terms?

I'm not an athletic director either but if she was on a contract, don't they have to pay the contract anyway? Or some sort of penalty for not fulfilling the terms?
Yes, but for large athletic departments like Georgia, that is standard operating procedure if they want to remove a coach. Texas AM fired their football coach and is paying him something like $80 million, which was the remainder of his contract.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back