Georgia Gymdawgs 2022 season WORST in history

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Still, I would find it incredibly trivial if Suzanne was blocking the hire of a decorated Georgia gymnast because she was an assistant coach at a rival?!
I don’t think the issue is that the Griffith’s are working for LSU, but that they are working for Jay Clarke, the former HC of Georgia after Suzanne. I don’t think Jay and Suzanne parted on good terms but at the end of the day it was just a Twitter rumor. I’m interested to see who takes up the role and if Georgia gives them enough time to repair the program.

Yeah “be champs in 3 seasons or your out” isn’t a clearable bar, especially since their recruiting has not been great.

It’s also not 2003 anymore and the number of schools who can potentially win has doubled.

This for sure! With NIL, broad social media, and more tv exposure for all programs, the idea of a closed bubble of a handful of programs capturing the attention of the handful of premier recruits is over. That’s why I am skeptical about just mending GE connection will fix things.

Joni Taylor wasn’t fired. She left for Texas A&M for more money. It’s rumored they have agreed to pay her $1 million.

Yoculan’s days are long gone along with Patterson, Kondos, and Marsden. It is a new NCAA world and there is so much parity now in NCAA. Look at all the upsets that happened at regionals, there is so much competition now that we can witness upsets,when 20-30 years ago it was an elite handful of NCAA teams that dominated.

I remember on WWGYM when CKC was hired, many of us were skeptical of her abilities to run a program as head coach do to limited coaching experience and running an NCAA program, which is so different than being a star athlete.
Pre-covid UGA would send out press releases about how much $$ Courtney would raise among boosters. So I’m guessing that is the appeal plus no scandals so far.

It’s also not 2003 anymore and the number of schools who can potentially win has doubled.
I would say tripled.
It was always Utah, Bama, UGA until 1997 when UCLA finally won.
Since then Florida, Oklahoma, and Michigan have won a championship.
Teams like LSU, Minnesota, Missouri, California, Auburn have proved they have the potential to win a title. The latter three especially in 2023. Next year Florida, LSU, Oklahoma, Utah, Minnesota lose a lot of senior talent/routines.
It will be interesting to see what happens in 2023 because some of the perennial top 4 might be bounced down the standings.

I believe Trinity and Nya are coming back. I know Leah Clapper is coming back and possibly Savs, so if that is the case, I think Florida will be fine. I assume they already informed the coaching staff, because UF only has Kayla DiCello signed for next year at this point, which tells me they know something that hasn’t been announced yet 😉

I believe Trinity and Nya are coming back.
This is not definite yet.
Either way they are losing 6 routines (and 2 back up routines) with Baumann and Skaggs finishing their eligibility.

Skaggs will be a real loss, she has been sooo rock solid the last two years. Baumann not too far behind. But assuming Riley continues to ease into college, and Ellie Lazzari returns and Morgan Hurd will be fully healthy with over a year to recover along with DiCello. If Trinity and Nya come back (my sources sound positive) UF shouldn’t miss a beat.

But assuming Riley continues to ease into college, and Ellie Lazzari returns and Morgan Hurd will be fully healthy with over a year to recover along with DiCello.
I don’t see McCusker doing anything other than bars and maybe occasional beam.
I also anticipate Hurd taking medical retirement.
Lazzari hopefully returns to full strength.
However 5th year seniors like Skaggs and Baumann cannot be replaced due to sheer experience.

If Florida wins the team title, chances of Thomas coming back become slim. Reed might though. Thomas has battled injuries for three years and is pretty much healthy but her body has been banged up.

Don’t you still see Florida’s star as ultimately on the rise though? Given their freshman class alone, they should at least be in the conversation for years to come. Same with Utah. Everybody is going to lose good gymnasts this year

Oh. Florida definitely has the goods for sure.
I’m just mentioning that they are losing post season routines next year.
Teams like Missouri are bringing back ALL of their post season routines in 2023.
Alabama loses Lexi Graber and it’s really more if they don’t take a Covid year, like Shallon Olsen for example. LSU loses Durante, Desiderio, Edwards, Dean, and Campbell. Minnesota loses Ramler, Loper, Sonier, Sales, Quarles
Oklahoma loses Woodard and Thomas IIRC. And maybe LaPinta if she doesn’t do a Covid year. Stern and Trautman already confirmed they are coming back.
Florida loses who I already mentioned plus maybe Schonherr, Thomas, and Reed who haven’t committed to another year. Clapper has made the commitment.

That’s all I was saying.

This year was unique since there were so many super seniors using their Covid year.

Last edited:
While I don’t know what recruits they have coming in, Minnesota’s going to be hurting next year. That’s a lot of important routines to lose.

Florida’s definitely going to take a step back if they lose Trinity. Having that guaranteed huge score at the end of your lineup is a big deal. Also, if Reed and Schoenherr also leave, that’s most of their vault lineup when you include Skaggs. They would lose half of their bars, beam, and floor rotation, too. Rowland better be hoping some of the seniors come back. I wish I had more faith in Morgan Hurd staying injury-free, but at this point I’d be thrilled if she could just do beam.

Oklahoma’s only losing three routines, so they should be fine. They always seem to be fine. Hopefully Olivia Trautman can have a healthy final year.

Even if some of those seniors return, Ramler and Loper leaving is a huge 1-2 punch that will be missed and 8 strong routines that often were 9.9+
It will be hard to replace those scores.
For example, at regional final Ramler went 39.6 and Loper went 39.7
Ramler 9.925, 9.875, 9.900, 9.900
Loper 9.950, 9.900, 9.900, 9.950

This is what makes college gymnastics fun, being able to speculate and say what-if and then see how it actually plays out. I gotta disagree with your analysis on Florida and who is coming back. But I do agree, even if Trinity does come back, they will not be as strong as they are this year. I see Alabama as really on the rise. It will be very interesting to see LSU next year. They had like 8 senior/super seniors on their squad. Back to original post though, I see it getting worse for Georgia next year. Maybe Baumann comes back? I am also curious about Arkansas, as the two super seniors that were pretty core to their team are gone. I think now we will really see the mettle of Weiber as HC.

Anybody know how competitive Michigan’s line ups look to be next year off the top of their head? How much talent are they losing?

Michigan is a bit like Florida in that we don’t know if any of the seniors are coming back for a fifth year. Wojcik and both Abbys are seniors, and Michigan is a school that’s dependent on a handful of all-arounders. Losing those three would hurt. I don’t know who they have coming in recruiting-wise, but they are probably going to have to find some routines from gymnasts already on the roster if those three leave.

I’ve actually been wondering if NIL will help with Georgia’s recruiting. Even thought they haven’t had a decent season in a while, their meets are constantly being broadcast. A top ranked gymnast could go there for easy star status.

I also thought they had some decent choreo on floor. A really talented gymnast might have gone viral with Hawthorne or Perez-Lugones’ choreo. I think NIL has the potential to boost the recruiting classes of teams with high exposure. Even if they have had poor seasons the past few years.

Possibly? I dont see NIL being used like it is in football and basketball where athletes are getting directly paid to come play at the university. For these secondary sports, I think it just provides an avenue where the gymnasts can leverage their brand to make $ while not running afoul of eligibility rules. I did see Alabama starting a blanket NIL deal for their gymnastics program where every athlete will get like 20k so who knows. Only the major athletic departments and Georgia is one of them will have the ability to do something like that.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back