Chellsie Memmel’s Comeback

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I wonder if her shoulder issues that she started experiencing during these Worlds had anything to do with her VT issues in 2007 and 2008?

In the beginning of her come back Chellsie’s training videos on vault showed her talking to Andy about how she had always rushed. She made a conscious effort not to rush and they agreed her vaulting was better. It makes me think her problems were not related to her shoulder as much. Slowing down, thinking it through, analyzing video plus her maturity make her better.

She also mentioned in the early videos never being able to see where she was in the air on vault before and that was why she hated it. She said she is able to spot where she is now and it’s giving her more confidence on the event.

Will Graves confirmed on Twitter (apparently in response to gymternet skepticism) that Chellsie did in fact mentioned the Cheng, and then Tom Forster also mentioned it and said she’s “picking it up pretty quickly”. So…apparently it’s something they are at least playing with!

Chellsie addressed the questions about the Cheng today in her instagram stories. I wrote down what she said below:
Hey guys just leaving the gym.
I know there are lots of questions out there.
I did start working the half entry vault uh… maybe a little bit over a month or so…
We didn’t really post anything about it because I wasn’t sure how it was gunna go,
if it was going to be continuing… you know continue like worth working.
But I have been working it each week,
and maybe I’ll post a few of the timers or something just so you know that I am working that entry.
Then she posted a few short clips of her working on the entry, which someone on tumblr thankfully recorded because I have no idea how to link to an instagram story and they disappear anyway.

Last edited:
Holy Pod, be still my heart! So far that isn’t half bad.

I wonder if Chellsie knows she is referred to as BAMF Memmel on the gymternet?

Oooooh! She also just posted a clip of doing bhs lso lso, which could up that D score slightly.

Perhaps as a gymnast Memmel is better now than when she was younger.

José M.

The illusion turn, whilst cool, bothers me because she always has a wobble coming out of it. It seems to be an inbuilt deduction. Is it even worth doing?

It’s worth .5 and I’d say that’s a .3 wobble. So it’s kinda worth it, she needs to have a turn in the routine, might as well capitalize on the difficulty if she can. I love that combination. Chellsie for the +1! or a Worlds spot.

I am sad that the “Memmel” flip flop into piked arabian, appears to be removed from the current routine.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back