British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I’m guessing that the rationale behind Alice training an Amanar is the threat of being 2-per’d for AA finals rather than any potential boost to a team score. But it does seem a waste, given the amount of training time required to achieve it versus the advantage it brings.

A gymnast like Alice who is capable of a decent E score on bars, should be focussing on maxing out her D score. A big UB score is a huge advantage, both individually and team

I’m guessing that the rationale behind Alice training an Amanar is the threat of being 2-per’d for AA finals rather than any potential boost to a team score. But it does seem a waste, given the amount of training time required to achieve it versus the advantage it brings.

A gymnast like Alice who is capable of a decent E score on bars, should be focussing on maxing out her D score. A big UB score is a huge advantage, both individually and team
Hopefully she's doing both! She's certainly in the group fighting for an outside chance at AA bronze. Maybe she'll just save the Amanar for that phase of the competition and not compromise GB's shot at their own team bronze medal with a possible fall.

Yeah, my first thought on seeing her still working on the Amanar was that she's trying to get that bronze she was so close to in 2022. Trying to squeeze every last tenth out. Whether this is the right way to go about maximizing scores, I dunno, but I see why she and her coaches might think this is the way to do it.

Yeah, my first thought on seeing her still working on the Amanar was that she's trying to get that bronze she was so close to in 2022. Trying to squeeze every last tenth out. Whether this is the right way to go about maximizing scores, I dunno, but I see why she and her coaches might think this is the way to do it.
In 2022 you can actually go through her routines and eliminate a few errors to get her all the way to silver ahead of Jones. Unfair to other athletes of course but you can see how it was possible.

Kelly Simm has a surprising range of hardware for a gymnast that isn't an automatic first team choice - World bronze, Commonwealth golds and a cheeky AA title at the Summer Universiade!

19th AA in Doha as well. Not too shabby.

Looking back at her results tonight and I’d completely forgotten she was in Nanning.

So who is in the running for Paris?

Morgan, Kinsella, Achampong, Evans, Fenton, Downie, Stacey, Martin
Morgan, Becky, and Fenton seem to be competing for one spot.
Kinsella and Achampong are essentially locks, especially for AA purpose.
Evans looks likely for VT and FX.
How likely is it Martin can compete with the seniors this year?

Out: Stickler
Likely Out: Jen Gadirova, Jess Gadirova

I would say the only locks at this point are Alice and Ondine.

GMF could be, depending on how Amelie looks, but I'd disagree they're competing for one spot alongside Becky. Depending on what's going on elsewhere, a team with Alice, Ondine, Ruby then two of them is quite plausible and well balanced. Like so:

VT- Alice, Ondine, Ruby. 3 good DTYs
UB- Alice and whichever two of Becky, GMF and Amelie.
BB- Alice, Ondine, GMF or Amelie
FX- Ondine, Ruby, Alice

The only real weakness there is the floor leadoff, but there's not really any way round that unless Jen gets back to something like 2022 form. And if she doesn't, I don't see how they can manage without Ruby.

Abigail Martin wasn't bringing in particularly competitive numbers when we last saw her, so unless she's improved a lot since November I think she's a long shot.

I think the situation at the moment is if you were picking the team today it'd be Kinsella, Achampong, Fenton, Downie and Evans, just because who else is there?

The question marks seem to be can either Gadirova get back from injury in time (realistically Jessica seems unlikely, Jennifer may recover from her surgery but whether she can get to a level to make the team is another matter), and this possible comeback from Amelie Morgan. This seems a bit out of the blue for Morgan, so it'll be interesting to see where she is at. She'll need a good bars routine to get in contention, and that seems to be the event with the biggest adjustment from NCAA.

For the record, if they can't put together a team plus alternate(s) from the gymnasts mentioned above, the other current members of the senior national squad are

Simm (retired)
Stickler (injured)
Fragapane (???)
Evie Flage-Donovan
Ruby Stacey

Plus Abigail Martin is apparently being sent for her first senior appearance at Cottbus.

Cant remember a time when team GB was this thinned out. Have they just been incredibly lucky with injuries or is this far less depth than normal?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back