British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Yes, the parties here appear to be bimbling along happily without each other don't they? It is interesting how little this goes on in gymnastics compared to other sports. For example I know when kids sign up for training schemes with football clubs and register with the FA, they're asked to confirm the birthplace of the four grandparents. I remember a poster on TAAF with connections to the Estonian federation saying in about 2010ish that if anyone knew a gymnast with sufficient Estonian heritage to get citizenship, the option was there to try for London, but evidently nothing came of it.

Still, the GB programme might feel more optimistic about their position than the fanbase do. If the core three stay healthy, which they normally are, and they can round out the team with two of Jen, Becky, Ruby Evans and perhaps Shannon Archer, they're not in a bad position to take advantage of any meltdowns. Unlikely to be top 3 on paper, but then it's years since a WAG bronze was won by any team who fit that description. The podium keeps finding ways to put egg on our collective faces.

@Bob I don't think Charlotte would knock out a healthy Becky. It's more what happens if the migraines are still a problem. The situations with Becky and Suni are hard to call, we aren't used to seeing athletes openly having physical health problems that don't work like gymnastics injuries do.

Is Shannon Archer even attending GB squads? I don’t think she’s ever been given an international assignment for GB

Is Shannon Archer even attending GB squads? I don’t think she’s ever been given an international assignment for GB
Her Insta says she got a GB assignment in September 2023 but had to pull out due to ankle injury, not sure if that was the first.

Scottish Nationals start on 17th Feb, so I expect we'll know more about where she's at soon. It looks from the website like entries had to be submitted by last month but I can't find a list yet.

Very interesting. Sellathuati is super surprising!
He was living here for a while, it's not the first time he's competed in the various nationals. I assume either he still is or he stayed in touch.

Becky on floor in Cairo is quite a big deal! And Amelie, is she not busy with the NCAA season?

.becky Downie has confirmed in an interview she’s retiring after Paris. It’s inthe telegraph, and I can’t find it online but it’s screenshot here:

Thinking about how it’s been almost 18 years since she competed at the 2006 Commonwealth Games, really puts her longevity into perspective. Amazing.

I've loved watching both the Downie sisters. I'm also glad to see Becky setting her own terms for when she retires. I'm super sad how Ellie's career ended. I hoped she'd come back. She still had some really great gymnastics left in her.

Charlotte Booth is also doing the Welsh Open in 4 weeks and is listed as Park Wrekin.

Well done, I’m in awe of everyone who has been predicting Charlotte Booth’s ambitions for consideration in the British squad for so many months with only a sliver of evidence.

Frankly, I thought you were all mad fantasists, clutching at random events. Now I can see you are super intuitive super-sleuths; the Hetty Wainthropps of the British gymnastics world.

Well done, I’m in awe of everyone who has been predicting Charlotte Booth’s ambitions for consideration in the British squad for so many months with only a sliver of evidence.

Frankly, I thought you were all mad fantasists, clutching at random events. Now I can see you are super intuitive super-sleuths; the Hetty Wainthropps of the British gymnastics world.
People from Telford holiday in Florida. People from Florida do not vacation in Telford

It makes sense Booth would attempt to represent GBR. She's not getting near the USA National Team, she has ties to GBR, and has no current FIG license. If she has the goal of getting some international experience (not necessarily just making the Olympics) then working with British Gymnastics would be her best chance. Maybe squeezing herself into a Euros spot. Speaking of, why are Euros so close to the Olympics? The Olympics start at the end of July.

People from Telford holiday in Florida. People from Florida do not vacation in Telford

I daresay if you said Telford to people in Florida (and well, let's be honest, a good chunk of Americans), they may think you're talking about the bag (Telfar).

Welcome to Gymnaverse!

I'm thinking her path to the team is outperforming GMF or Downie withdrawing from the selection process. She's talented enough for the British team to hone her talents for next quad, but I think she'll add important depth in any case.

I'm not yet convinced though, that this isn't more than an opportunity to get some practice competing in the early season

I'm thinking her path to the team is outperforming GMF or Downie withdrawing from the selection process. She's talented enough for the British team to hone her talents for next quad, but I think she'll add important depth in any case.

I'm not yet convinced though, that this isn't more than an opportunity to get some practice competing in the early season
It’s a long way to go for a minor competition in a sports hall, the weekend after she could have been competing at the winter cup

It will be interesting to see what she produces if her intention is GB selection. Up until recently, I image the main goal of her training has been to secure a scholarship to her chosen college. If her goal is now to maximise her selection chances for GB, we might see a different approach

I'm thinking her path to the team is outperforming GMF or Downie withdrawing from the selection process.
If we are talking about Booth, at this point, her path to the team is to keep her knees and ankles functioning for the next 6 months. At the rate they are dropping in British Gymnastics...

It makes sense Booth would attempt to represent GBR. She's not getting near the USA National Team, she has ties to GBR, and has no current FIG license. If she has the goal of getting some international experience (not necessarily just making the Olympics) then working with British Gymnastics would be her best chance. Maybe squeezing herself into a Euros spot. Speaking of, why are Euros so close to the Olympics? The Olympics start at the end of July.

I daresay if you said Telford to people in Florida (and well, let's be honest, a good chunk of Americans), they may think you're talking about the bag (Telfar).

Welcome to Gymnaverse!
Euros is often later in an Olympic year, early May is quite normal. 2016 was June, albeit the Olympics were a couple of weeks later that year.

Also I don't think most British people have a great deal of awareness of Telford either. I'm fairly sure this thread contains every discussion I've ever had about the place in my entire life.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back