British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

She's in a world of trouble if they don't credit the Ricna 1/2. She needs to pike one of the two Ricnas.

I have an 8.1 E (assuming 0.1 on the landing). Anyone else?

Piking the Ricnas will actually not help Downie's D score if the 1/2 turn is downgraded due to the Tkatchev 'root' principle(same rule that prevents a gymnast from receiving credit for both a Tkatchev and a piked Tkatchev in the same routine).

Scenario 1
Ricna 1/2 / Derwael / Fenton -> downgraded to Ricna
Downie / piked Ricna = no DV

Scenario 2
piked Ricna 1/2 -> downgraded to piked Ricna
Ricna = no DV

Here are my deductions:

toe-on full
(lack of precision / turn off-axis), 0.1

grip adjustment (prior to Derwael / Fenton), 0.1

Derwael / Fenton
(body posture / flexed feet), 0.1
(lack of precision / incomplete turn), 0.1

Ezhova
(insufficient height), 0.3
(lack of precision / incomplete turn before regrasp), 0.1

Hindorff
(insufficient height / hips at bar height prior to regrasp), 0.1
(bent arms upon regrasp), 0.1

cast to handstand with legs straddled
(body posture / piked hips), 0.1

Ricna

van Leeuwen

grip adjustment (prior to giant), 0.1

full twisting double tuck dismount
(step on landing), 0.1

Total Deductions - 1.8 -> E, 8.2

@Concorde Thanks for posting that out. That's one of those rules that's easy to forget because exercises so rarely break the rule.

Piking the Ricnas will actually not help Downie's D score if the 1/2 turn is downgraded due to the Tkatchev 'root' principle(same rule that prevents a gymnast from receiving credit for both a Tkatchev and a piked Tkatchev in the same routine).

Scenario 1
Ricna 1/2 / Derwael / Fenton -> downgraded to Ricna
Downie / piked Ricna = no DV

Scenario 2
piked Ricna 1/2 -> downgraded to piked Ricna
Ricna = no DV

Here are my deductions:

toe-on full
(lack of precision / turn off-axis), 0.1

grip adjustment (prior to Derwael / Fenton), 0.1

Derwael / Fenton
(lack of precision / incomplete turn), 0.1

Ezhova
(insufficient height), 0.3

Hindorff
(insufficient height / hips at bar height prior to regrasp), 0.1
(bent arms upon regrasp), 0.1

Ricna

van Leeuwen

grip adjustment (prior to giant), 0.1

full twisting double tuck dismount
(step on landing), 0.1

Total Deductions - 1.8 -> E, 8.2
Thank you! Did she ever show a Shang? Maybe that could be a workaround? If not - I guess the half is shit or bust. Go big or go home.

Glad to know my E was in line though! I actually took a 3 for bent arms on the Hindorff. And to be fair, her ass is barely scraping over the bar. I know it's great for her D score, but I would hate for them to start cracking down on that skill just as she got to Paris and when it was too late to change it (kinda like Suni's hop 1.5 thing she did in 2019 worlds and ditched for 2020).

Becky’s FX at Cairo WC

Ok. I have thoughts.

The memmel. Absolutely not. Just remove.

The switch ring. No. That's a 0.3 and a potential downgrade, with the new rules. It looks worse than her switch ring on beam.

The Double Back - that was just nerves. She had the height and the rotation. She probably doesn't train it onto hard much.

The 2.5 - I have a feeling they might have given that as a fall. Or at least a 0.8. Hopefully she can replace that line with the Double Arabian to Stag/Split she's been training.

I'm pretty sure she could do a half decent split jump full (C) and/or a popa. All these turns aren't a good idea. She's not a spinner. She has a great split. I don't know why they aren't milking that. All these turns have a 0.1 set up fee, a 0.1 falling out fee, and a downgrade risk.

Arabian - Stag 0.1
Back 3/2 to Double Tuck 0.1
Switch Leap to Split Leap Full
Switch Half
Split Jump Full
Popa

ECDBCCCC4 = 5.0

Not a bad comeback from Joe in Cairo. Floor was a mess, but the 14.3 on high bar is pretty big for any GB athlete. And 14.666 on pommels. I think he'll be pleased to have made two finals. He isn't down for Cottbus, so maybe the focus will be on the upcoming domestic competitions now.

Ondine's AA total over the two days is 51.832. I wondered if she was trying to get an early AA total in for Olympic selection purposes, as there's no obvious reason why she'd bother showing an early season DTY that everyone knows she can do otherwise. Obviously she's a lock for Paris, and for Euros too if she wants to go, but there are still questions of lineup.

Ok. I have thoughts.

The memmel. Absolutely not. Just remove.

The switch ring. No. That's a 0.3 and a potential downgrade, with the new rules. It looks worse than her switch ring on beam.

The Double Back - that was just nerves. She had the height and the rotation. She probably doesn't train it onto hard much.

The 2.5 - I have a feeling they might have given that as a fall. Or at least a 0.8. Hopefully she can replace that line with the Double Arabian to Stag/Split she's been training.

I'm pretty sure she could do a half decent split jump full (C) and/or a popa. All these turns aren't a good idea. She's not a spinner. She has a great split. I don't know why they aren't milking that. All these turns have a 0.1 set up fee, a 0.1 falling out fee, and a downgrade risk.

Arabian - Stag 0.1
Back 3/2 to Double Tuck 0.1
Switch Leap to Split Leap Full
Switch Half
Split Jump Full
Popa

ECDBCCCC4 = 5.0
leaps are much harder on her ankles, which are held together with string at this point. Also explains why all the dance in on the floor.

Mmm, it's almost like it'd be better all round if she didn't feel the need to bother with floor at all...

I forgot all about the Welsh championships today! They're coming thick and fast. Very interested to see how Abigail Martin in particular looks.

I'm interested to see if Amelie has managed to transfer back to fig routines on fig equipment. Her college bars were missing a release and a pirouette at a minimum and beam looked to be missing a lot of difficulty. I know she did vault recently but I don't know about floor at all.

Alice had a fall on beam but otherwise looked pretty good on bars, beam and floor. No vault today. Charlotte got stuck on a pirouette on bars, fell on beam and went out on floor. Not the neatest routines really. I didn't see her vault. Looked to be a splat fest on beam generally. One more round to go.

Booth has stated she will not be competing for GBR internationally.
That is interesting when did she say that. The last I saw she said she was open to opportunities that could come her way competing in England. What opportunities could there be apart from competing for GB or England. She hardly needs to come over her and make all that effort just to do some extra competitions.

Booth has stated she will not be competing for GBR internationally.
Oh I must have missed that! I didn’t think she’d knock any of the top gymnasts off, though in any case,
Ruby Evans with a 14+ on VT and a 13.450 on FX seems quite likely to be a front runner for Paris.
Over in Cairo, Achampong scored a 13.8 on UB (great score for her) and Downie apparently fell on the hindorff.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back