British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I’m aching to know her plans and goals. However I kinda get the Biles-esque logic of not wanting to make them public because it could increase the pressure on her. Time is a ticking if Paris in some capacity is still an aim.

Watching her pre-hab exercise videos has been fascinating.

If all she wants is a trip to the Olympics, it makes sense for her to rush back, but maybe she wants a long career and a chance to rise to the level of Andrade

Afaik she was doing some pre surgery exercises to get her into the best shape for a good outcome. It does look like she's not prioritising Paris over the longer term though, which I think is sensible.
Paris was realistically never going to be in the cards for her. She simply didn’t have enough time so it’s best she was trying to get in the best shape as possible.

Paris was realistically never going to be in the cards for her. She simply didn’t have enough time so it’s best she was trying to get in the best shape as possible.
I think given GBs lack of depth and relative weakness on bars, it couldn't be completely ruled out that she might've had her surgery quickly and had a chance to be picked as a one eventer. As time passed, it looked less and less like that was what she was going for, and I'm all for it. Jess is only 19, she could compete for a long time yet if this is well managed and that's what she wants.

There's also the point that medals are likely to be a lot easier to come by in a year or two. Simone might retire, and even if she doesn't, she's surely going to have at least a couple of years off. Obviously the Olympics are the more prestigious, but for someone who already has an Olympic medal and probably wouldn't get another even if she were in Paris, I can see how the calculation would fall in favour of 2025 and beyond.

^ I spent a good amount of time thinking about your comment. I always just assumed gymnasts tried to just be the best they could be, and if things shake out favorably, yay. But maybe that's a very American perspective?

But I can't think of another time a gymnast forewent an upcoming high level competition with the expressed understanding that they were maximizing opportunity in the future. Apart from people dropping down to level 10 to prepare for NCAA. I've always seen it implied they were forced out by injury or unable to get back into competitive shape in time. I can't recall anyone just casually passing on an Olympics.

^ I spent a good amount of time thinking about your comment. I always just assumed gymnasts tried to just be the best they could be, and if things shake out favorably, yay. But maybe that's a very American perspective?

But I can't think of another time a gymnast forewent an upcoming high level competition with the expressed understanding that they were maximizing opportunity in the future. Apart from people dropping down to level 10 to prepare for NCAA. I've always seen it implied they were forced out by injury or unable to get back into competitive shape in time. I can't recall anyone just casually passing on an Olympics.
If I'm right, and I could be barking up the wrong tree entirely, I think it's a confluence of factors that yeah, probably wouldn't happen with an American but also couldn't really happen to anyone else until very recently either.

Jess is someone who's been successful enough already that there isn't any now or never Annia 04 type energy. But not so successful that there'd be substantial commercial considerations like eg Simone would.

She's from a programme good enough for her to be able to reasonably assume she's not at risk of a Derwael situation, but not so good that she won't get back on or that she's missing out on a medal if she sits it out. It's a sweet spot.

Then there's the recent developments in the sport. Over the last decade we've seen WAGs do well after ACL tears, it doesn't have to be the end. And we now have evidence at every major championship that WAGs can do this into their 30s. I don't know if that's what Jess specifically wants, but you have to think at least some gymnasts in their teens now are looking at the Ferraris, Downies, Wevers etc and thinking yes, I could have this too. Even a few years ago that wouldn't have been the case. And so the idea of playing the long game makes more sense now, in a way that it didn't when gymnasts seldom did more than two Olympics. It's a whole career she'd be risking now.

I may of course be full of shit too.

If I'm right, and I could be barking up the wrong tree entirely, I think it's a confluence of factors that yeah, probably wouldn't happen with an American but also couldn't really happen to anyone else until very recently either.

Jess is someone who's been successful enough already that there isn't any now or never Annia 04 type energy. But not so successful that there'd be substantial commercial considerations like eg Simone would.

She's from a programme good enough for her to be able to reasonably assume she's not at risk of a Derwael situation, but not so good that she won't get back on or that she's missing out on a medal if she sits it out. It's a sweet spot.

Then there's the recent developments in the sport. Over the last decade we've seen WAGs do well after ACL tears, it doesn't have to be the end. And we now have evidence at every major championship that WAGs can do this into their 30s. I don't know if that's what Jess specifically wants, but you have to think at least some gymnasts in their teens now are looking at the Ferraris, Downies, Wevers etc and thinking yes, I could have this too. Even a few years ago that wouldn't have been the case. And so the idea of playing the long game makes more sense now, in a way that it didn't when gymnasts seldom did more than two Olympics. It's a whole career she'd be risking now.

I may of course be full of shit too.
1 part shit, 1 part rationality? Generously rational, but still potentially slightly tainted?

But I mean I don't disagree with anything you're saying, I've just never heard a gymnast say "like yeah, I'm gonna miss this Olympics because, in terms of medals, well I've already got one". The time is ripe for sure. Do 19 year old British girls want a 20 year long career of elite gymnastics though? Some have opted for NCAA and then done, no? It's just given me a lot to think about.

If I am right, it's clearly a lemonade from lemons situation. The decision was made at least partially for her and maybe totally, since the possibility of a medal in Paris went when her ACL did. Maybe in a parallel universe where her best apparatus are bars and beam rather than the leg events, Jess is making a run for Paris because the balance tips in favour of trying.

In terms of NCAA, the top Brits never do it. I don't know if that will change in the future, but there's no precedent for a Brit as good as Jess choosing NCAA over contending for more major medals.

They both said on gymstars that they want a long career (series 5 ep13 I just checked) which is why they opted out of the commonwealth games

Reactions: Dex
On the subject of which Brits go to NCAA, Poppy announced on Instagram that she's signed for Utah. Starts next year.

As per her insta, Jessica has started on the exercise bike and other basic motions.
200.gif

The second episode about Becky's "comeback" is up now. The highlight is her performance at the Welsh championships that earned her a spot on the Euros team this year.

We're coming up to the last couple of designated selection events for Euros, as per the selection policy below

Scottish championships are 17th-18th Feb, English at the start of March, the world cup events start next month too. Of necessity it's going to be a somewhat scratch WAG team, but I'm hopeful that we might see some of the injured MAG back as theirs isn't until May.

GB Paris selection is also much closer than you’d think. Euros is the last selection event for WAG & MAG and both teams will be decided on the 20th/21st of May. It could be quite hard to make the team if you aren’t at Euros (there are built-in safeguards for injured gymnasts, including going all the way back to 2023 Euros for selection purposes).

WAG selection events
IMG_4659.jpeg

MAG Paris selection
WAG Paris selection

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back