British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Curious to when we will see Jen back as she currently has no DSE scores…

Oooof that sounds nasty.

Going be last gymnasts standing for the Euros team at this rate.

Yeah, GB is going to be wanting Kinsella and Achampong to stay in one piece.

That sounds horribly painful.

And absolutely terrible timing too. I really thought a Euros spot was there for the taking given the current circumstances. Her and Ruby balance each other out quite nicely.

Curious to when we will see Jen back as she currently has no DSE scores…
Jumping back to this post, but yep thought the same. Realistically, as she's just had surgery now, she's going to have to make it back for Euros to have any hope of the Olympics, isn't she? The world cups and various national championships are out. That's not leaving a lot of time at all, even in the best case scenario of it being one of the more 'minor' types of arthroscopy.

Raises the question, if she's back but not on the leg events, would they take her to Euros just for beam with a view to having her as an option for Paris?

Abi Martin I think
Probably the best known. her top junior score was around the 50 mark at junior worlds, IIRC.

re: Jenn, surely she could do an injury petition to Olympic trials, if that's an option. (Can’t remember offhand). Although she’s not competed for long enough that that may not be.

Probably the best known. her top junior score was around the 50 mark at junior worlds, IIRC.

re: Jenn, surely she could do an injury petition to Olympic trials, if that's an option. (Can’t remember offhand). Although she’s not competed for long enough that that may not be.
There's no mention of a formal Trials being one of the designated selection events in the document upthread. Probably because they're choosing the team in mid-May, for whatever reason, and it'll only be a week or two after Euros.

The document does say you can petition if you can't do the DSE, but it involves the same timeframe as Euros.

Page 5 of 10
4. Any athlete unable to compete at the listed Designated Selection Events can petition to
the HNC for consideration. Athletes are required to send a petition in writing explaining
the reasons for being unable to compete at the DSE’s to performance@british-
gymnastics.org by 12pm 1st May 2024. Any athlete who is considered based upon a
petition will be required to submit agreed competition routine footage to an independent
British Gymnastics judging panel no later than 5th May 2024 from events between 1st
January and 5th May 2024. The judging panel will evaluate the performances to determine
if they meet the standards listed in Section 7. The scoring of submitted routines is not open to appeal

Euros is Thursday 2nd to Sunday 5th May.

The only way I could see anyone benefitting from this is if they weren't competition ready at the end of March, when the Euros team is chosen, don't do any internationals in April but are routine ready by the start of May. It's not a huge window, and you wouldn't want to have to rely on a petition having not competed at all, but stranger things have happened.

Or Jen.

They have the same provision in the MAG criteria, except their petition deadline is a week earlier, coinciding with MAG Euros. Perhaps they want to ensure missing Euros doesn't buy you any more time. Their DSEs also specify the Challenge Cups in April, so there's a wide choice.

Is it worth talking with Charlotte Booth at this rate?
Definitely. However I don’t think she has expressed any interest in representing GB.

The problem is that GB has very strict rules regarding who can coach within Britain. They don’t automatically recognise overseas qualifications, and the problem that US coaches have is that there aren’t equivalent qualifications to coaching education in the UK.

It means that any gymnast training overseas needs to register with a British based club for national competitions that has a suitably qualified coach for elite level. It also means that their personal coach cannot coach them in any capacity at national or international events. It does seem quite draconian (even Valentina was vaguely accepting of Megan’s existence) but it did have the unintended result of keeping Don Peters the hell away from a whole new set of opportunities.

Hard to say. If we assume the core three plus Ruby Evans are all healthy and leave out Becky, Jen and Shannon Archer as question marks for now, there's an argument for using Charlotte as 3rd bars worker instead of Ondine. She wouldn't be top 3 on anything else, so her case is basically that Becky might not be viable if the migraines are still a problem.

It never hurts to have more options I suppose. But is there time? I can't imagine GB would want her even to be an Olympic alternate without having done anything internationally. At minimum you'd think they would like to see a Challenge cup.

Hard to say. If we assume the core three plus Ruby Evans are all healthy and leave out Becky, Jen and Shannon Archer as question marks for now, there's an argument for using Charlotte as 3rd bars worker instead of Ondine. She wouldn't be top 3 on anything else, so her case is basically that Becky might not be viable if the migraines are still a problem.

It never hurts to have more options I suppose. But is there time? I can't imagine GB would want her even to be an Olympic alternate without having done anything internationally. At minimum you'd think they would like to see a Challenge cup.
She doesn’t appear to have a current FIG licence for the US, so assuming she already has a British passport, that certainly would speed things up.

However, we must bear in mind that there haven’t been any indications from her that she wants to compete internationally for GB!

It would also be surprising should British Gymnastics approach her, even with the current injury list. I can’t remember who it was, but there was a fairly promising young British gymnast who had relocated to Iowa, was training at Chow’s. I think she competed L9 for a bit then moved to cheerleading when she started high school. British Gymnastics couldn’t have been less interested in her.

It just doesn’t seem to be the done thing in Europe. Italy is in a perpetual injury crisis, but they never pick up the phone and call New Jersey do they

I don't think Charlotte would knock out Becky given Beckys long international experience.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back