British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

She really just needs to maintain her UB/BB shape and be better than GMF on FX and I think it would be really hard to refuse her. But I thought she was a shoe-in last time around…

Has BG said what the selection criteria is? Becky is old enough to direct her own path so she is either being told this is necessary or she thinks her body can hold up for it. (Well, you hope she is past the age where a gymnast will destroy themselves to impress a selection committee that has already made up their minds about you.)

For this to get a BBC Breaking news alert is huge
IMG_0114.jpeg

Definitely a big deal for this to get a breaking news alert.

The new eduction policy is interesting:
In addition, a new academic education policy says no child under 12 can now be taken out of school to train, and those over 12 can only miss school in "exceptional circumstances".

Definitely a big deal for this to get a breaking news alert.

The new eduction policy is interesting:
I’m not sure this is sensible. I’m only aware of 1 British elite effectively having no education beyond primary school. 99% are in normal education until at least 16.

Home schooling has never been a thing in British gymnastics, but this rule may indeed pave the way for it

I’m not sure this is sensible. I’m only aware of 1 British elite effectively having no education beyond primary school. 99% are in normal education until at least 16.

Home schooling has never been a thing in British gymnastics, but this rule may indeed pave the way for it
I’m pretty sure Amelie and Phoebe homeschooled.

I’m pretty sure Amelie and Phoebe homeschooled.
Neither of them home schooled at all. Amelie attended the school that’s right opposite their gym then went to a different school for 6th form, Bristol High School which is fee paying.

Phoebe was definitely at the the school across the road at some point too, but later transferred to a school closer to home once she reduced her training hours and stopped training elite

I’d imagine that due to the pandemic they did quite a bit of homeschooling, but so did everyone of their age

Neither of them home schooled at all. Amelie attended the school that’s right opposite their gym then went to a different school for 6th form, Bristol High School which is fee paying.

Phoebe was definitely at the the school across the road at some point too, but later transferred to a school closer to home once she reduced her training hours and stopped training elite

I’d imagine that due to the pandemic they did quite a bit of homeschooling, but so did everyone of their age
There a lack of info on Phoebe, but Amelie was definitely homeschooled untill alevels. I do think the 35h hours is a tad extreme at that age

Attachments

• IMG_1712.jpeg
    IMG_1712.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1711.jpeg
    IMG_1711.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 22
The wording is a little ambiguous. it's possible she didn't start training 35 hours a week and homeschooling until she went to the Academy in 2017.

The wording is a little ambiguous. it's possible she didn't start training 35 hours a week and homeschooling until she went to the Academy in 2017.
I believe that to be the case, she definitely was not homeschooled whilst at the academy. One of the reasons she moved there was due to the arrangement it has with the local school.

As I said, British Gymnastics has created a problem where there wasn’t one.

At the moment, it’s normal for schools to allow elite gymnasts a couple of afternoons off per week (usually when gym class is happening). Other than that, they have a normal school life. Homeschooling is exceptionally rare.

British Gymnastics cannot stop parents deciding to home school their children, it’s easy enough to do in England. So they are potentially creating a situation where by going forward, fewer elite tracked athletes will attend school

There a lack of info on Phoebe, but Amelie was definitely homeschooled untill alevels. I do think the 35h hours is a tad extreme at that age
Sorry, I am only aware of the situation once she had moved to the academy. One of the reasons she chose that club was because it had an arrangement with the school nearby. She definitely was enrolled in school the entire time she was based in Bristol. Phoebe too.

Sorry, I am only aware of the situation once she had moved to the academy. One of the reasons she chose that club was because it had an arrangement with the school nearby. She definitely was enrolled in school the entire time she was based in Bristol. Phoebe too.
it was on one of the gymstars episodes that Amelie and Phoebe were on line schooling at the academy. I showed them working in a room at the gym. Later on it said they went back to the 6th form to do A levels.

It’s wild looking at the header of this thread and thinking back on everything that was ahead of this Olympic team. Four very different paths.

Soo late, I don't understand it, unless she decided not to go for Paris...

Soo late, I don't understand it, unless she decided not to go for Paris...
Afaik she was doing some pre surgery exercises to get her into the best shape for a good outcome. It does look like she's not prioritising Paris over the longer term though, which I think is sensible.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back