Brazil’s National Championships

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Brazilian Nationals have nothing to do with the Olympics.

In 2021, Brazilian Nationals were held September 29-October 3, way after Tokyo was completed.

In 2016, they were held November 8-13 way after Rio was completed.

If Brazil doesn't have them in August like they typically do, it is likely they do what they've done in an Olympic year and hold them in the fall.

I am not sure how other countries qualify athletes to Olympics.
But (I think) USOC has it mandated that there needs to be an Olympic Trials.
IIRC, Marta wanted to do away with Olympic Trials and pick the team via selection committee. But USOC said no way, and the compromise was that a certain number of athletes were named to the team via Olympic Trials results, then the remainder of the team was named at selection camp.
2004 I believe it was Kupets and McCool that got named to the tem (but still had to show readiness.) Not 100% sure.

IIRC, Marta wanted to do away with Olympic Trials and pick the team via selection committee. But USOC said no way, and the compromise was that a certain number of athletes were named to the team via Olympic Trials results, then the remainder of the team was named at selection camp.
2004 I believe it was Kupets and McCool that got named to the tem (but still had to show readiness.) Not 100% sure.
2004 was the worst, watching Hollie Vice and Marcia Newby (I think) break down while they announced the team at camp.

McCool really fucked things up for Marta by earning one of the automatic spots. Great AA back up, but no function in that format

2008 was bad too. Shawn and Nastia got the top 2 invite, but the committee could have and should have named Memmel and Sacramone to the team, as it was clear they were locks to the team. Instead they had to go to selection camp and we saw that they were both injured in Beijing as well as Peszek right before the meet began.
That team was overtrained, overworked, and run down.

Yes, they got the 2 automatic spots. Carly fell on beam both nights.

McCool really fucked things up for Marta by earning one of the automatic spots. Great AA back up, but no function in that format

McCool was a gorgeous gymnast who should've been top 3 for the team on bars at the very least. She was stuck without a 10 start value for no reason, all she needed was a jump to handstand mount. Ever since 1997 the lack of code awareness has killed so many peoples' chances. With only 9.8sv before the Olympics, the brilliant coaches tried to change her perfect double layout into a full twisting version to get her up to 9.9, one of the worst options possible. Her beam and floor were similarly plagued.

So odd that Nationals is held post-olympics in some cases for Brazil.

I guess my actual question is... when can I watch Andrade compete again? No olympic trials?

So, lets say the rule does not exist and they make McCool alternate after finishing second at trials. Who gets her spot? Her scoring was…generous that year, it would have been hard justifying taking someone else.

So, lets say the rule does not exist and they make McCool alternate after finishing second at trials. Who gets her spot? Her scoring was…generous that year, it would have been hard justifying taking someone else.
It’s a tricky one, without taking hindsight into consideration. Plus the fact that the format didn’t really necessitate a 6 person team.

My guess is that the original intention when that team was picked, was to have McCool do BB and FX.

Schwikert was the likely pick.
She was normally someone who peaked at the right time.
Her bars for sure would have gone up in team finals instead of Patterson. I would have put Schwikert on beam (instead of Kupets) and floor too. Her leaps were almost always around.

Memmel was also an option but we didn't see her at Trials so no idea how she looked at camp.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back