Best/Worst of Tokyo 2020

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

We do this every time! Let’s hear your thoughts!

Best Leo:
Worst Leo:
Best EF podium:
Worst EF podium:
Biggest surprise:
Biggest heartbreak:
Gymnast you’re most impressed by:
Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024:
Final thoughts:

Best Leo: Belgium qualifications leo, Fan Yilin qualifications leo
Worst Leo:
Best EF podium: BB
Worst EF podium: UB
Biggest surprise: Russia TF gold
Biggest heartbreak: Ou Yushan injury, Fan Yilin injury, Lu Yufei injury
Gymnast you’re most impressed by: Guan Chenchen
Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024: Tang Xijing
Final thoughts: Wang will retire now, new top coach for China!

Last edited:
Best Leo: I didnt like a lot honestly. Tang Xijing from bb finals was classy. I liked the navy one from the us as well

Worst Leo: a lot. Not a fan of the brazilian candy cane colors. Didnt like gb either

Best EF podium: vt and bb

Worst EF podium: fx, although I liked all of the ef podiums.

Biggest surprise: Simone being out. USA in general making a lot more mistakes than usual.

Biggest heartbreak: Larisa. How much bad luck can a person handle.

Gymnast you’re most impressed by: Urazova and Andrade

Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024: Honestly, most of them. But I hope Larisa gets her moment finally

Final thoughts: It was weird because of Simone being out. I really feel for her. But I have to admit, it made all competitions a hell of a lot more exciting.

I never notice the leos but I’ll answer the rest!

Best EF podium: Floor

Worst EF podium: Bars

Biggest surprise: Rebeca Andrade finally putting it all together.

Biggest heartbreak: Larisa Iordache being too injured to compete in beam finals.

Gymnast you’re most impressed by: Yeo Seojong

Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024: Moreno, Iordache, Saraiva, Urazova,Yeo … sorry I can’t choose one!

Final thoughts: I’m sad that it’s over already – good thing we only have to wait 3 years until the next one! I think the COP needs a HUGE adjustment. At the very least, scores across the events (D and E) should be calibrated, and of course there needs to be more separation in E and encouragement to do clean but not totally empty routines.

Last edited:
Best Leo:
Worst Leo:
Best EF podium: AA, the only podium where I would’ve been fine with the medalists in any order

Worst EF podium: FX, entirely because Jade should be nowhere near the podium with her “dance”. Even Gina Gogean is like girl…

Biggest surprise: Russia winning prelims.

Biggest heartbreak: China’s TF meltdown or Nikita in the AA

Gymnast you’re most impressed by: Dalaloyan/Andrade. I never thought we’d see her put together a full AA program after all the injuries. I almost cried when I heard she won gold on vault.

Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024: Andrade

Final thoughts: This was the most exciting competition I can remember in ages. Still hilarious to me that Russia’s first team gold came with back to back BB falls. The writing on the wall for USAG is flashing red at this point, but they still managed the best WAG medal tally, so I imagine nothing will change. 2021 Worlds should be fascinating.

Last edited:
Best Leo: Mokosova qualifications (I had to look this up because the major teams did not have the best leotards)
Worst Leo: Netherlands podium training
Best EF podium: Beam or Floor
Worst EF podium: Bars
Biggest surprise: Russian women winning team gold, Simone having the twisties. Dalaloyan’s Achilles holding up through three all-arounds.
Biggest heartbreak: Iordache
Gymnast you’re most impressed by: Andrade
Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024: Gadirova twins, Listunova
Final thoughts: United States needs much better choreography and expression on floor. I also think the bunching of E scores is ridiculous. Any gymnast should be able to do AA in qualifications.

Last edited:
Best Leo: Shallon Olsen, vault final
Worst Leo: Viktoria Listunova, floor final
Best EF podium: Women’s floor- I don’t enjoy Carey’s floor routine but I’m happy that she, Mai and Vanessa got a medal
Worst EF podium: Mens vault- Denis was robbed
Biggest surprise: Russia taking both team golds
Biggest heartbreak: Denis’ vault
Gymnast you’re most impressed by: Andrade. She’s such a compete gymnast
Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024: Not sure, but I really hope Dalaloyan does not. Please don’t kill yourself Artur!
Final thoughts: I like the team of 4. It was amazing to see 6 Americans try to qualify for the AA. Russia also ending up with a lot of 2pering. It made qualification so much more exciting

Best Leo: USA WAG Qualifications.
Worst Leo: All the pink ones.
Best EF podium: IM GOING TO REWATCH BEFORE I DECIDE
Worst EF podium: IM GOING TO REWATCH BEFOTE I DECIDE
Biggest surprise: Simone having to pull out of almost everything
Biggest heartbreak: Iordache’s reinjury and missing out completely
Gymnast you’re most impressed by: Dalaloyan being at such a high level so quickly after his ACL surgery
Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024: Simone. She had unfinished business. Brody Malone. He has promise. Urazova because I like her. Yul Moldauer because I think he has more to give.
Final thoughts: Melnikova put it together and I’m pleased with Russia getting double gold for both teams.

NBC did the worst job ever.

ETA: EF are marred by mistakes caused by lack of one touch warmups.

Last edited:
Best Leo: Brazil consistently had the best leos
Worst Leo: Dutch podium training
Best EF podium: AA
Biggest surprise: Simone pulling out
Biggest heartbreak: Larisa
Gymnast you’re most impressed by: Rebeca Andrade
Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024: Urazova, Tang
Final thoughts: This was an amazing competition. I love the spread of the medals among so many people and countries, so many competitions that came down to the final routine, the final landing. I loved the sportmanship and what seemed like actual friendships between the athletes. The athletes were awesome here.

The COP and rules need seriously revisited. The bunching of E-scores and how long judging took are inexcusable. There were multiple times when there was a wait of ten minutes for a beam score. One touches need re-instated, team sizes need to increase. The one thing I did really like was every competitor being able to compete AA in quals if they wanted to.

Looking forward to Worlds, if they go forward.

ETA: Also, sick of mesh and sparkle. So sick of mesh and sparkle. And in a third edit, I hate NBC.

Last edited:
Best Leo: Simone BB EF, Suni AA, Rebeca AA
Worst Leo: Rebeca VT EF
Best EF podium: beam
Worst EF podium: I love Rebeca becoming Olympic VT champ but I hate Sk*nner’s involvement in vault finals
Biggest surprise: Rebeca’s AA silver
Biggest heartbreak: Simone getting the twisties at the worst possible time
Gymnast you’re most impressed by: Rebeca
Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024: Listy, Chenchen, both Gadirovas, Larisa
Final thoughts:
  1. Fuck NBC.
  2. Words can’t express how happy I am for Rebeca given all that she went through in the last six years.
  3. Fuck NBC.
  4. I’m also happy Jade redeemed herself in FX EF after what happened in VT EF.
  5. Fuck NBC.
  6. I hope that, whatever Simone does in the future, she’s happy and healthy.
  7. Did I say “Fuck NBC” yet? Because fuck NBC.

Best Leo: France TF
Worst Leo: Brazil women qualis
Best EF podium: Vault, floor, and AA
Biggest surprise: Suni AA! Ferrari and Andrade getting medals
Biggest heartbreak: Absence of Simone 😦
Gymnast you’re most impressed by: Andrade, I didn’t think she had that much fight in her.
Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024: Skinner! Just kidding. Please no.
Final thoughts:
  • NBC was complaining about viewership and ratings, blaming the time difference as the main reason. It’s not. Their coverage is awful. They really do a disservice to the sport of gymnastics.
  • One-touch warmups are imperative for athlete safety and waste very little of their precious time. Bring them back.
  • I loved seeing 6 USA girls do AA in qualis, so I surprisingly didn’t hate the 4+2 format. It’s confusing, but more enjoyable to watch than I anticipated.
  • The 2-per country rule still seems unfair. So do the tie-breaker rules.

Not a lot to add but I was pleasantly surprised by Milka Gehani Elpitiya Badalge Dona the Sri Lankan gymnast. I hope she continues and makes an AA final sometime in her career.

Last edited:
Best Leo: Shallon Olsen VT finals
Worst Leo: Netherlands podium training
Best EF podium: women’s floor, so happy for all four
Worst EF podium: they were all good, but if I have to choose, men’s floor because I thought Zapata’s routine was better
Biggest surprise: Simone and the twisties
Biggest heartbreak: Larissa Iordache
Gymnast you’re most impressed by: Andrade
Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024: Yul Moldaur, I need to see a completely stuck FX in EF. Zsofia Kovacs because if she hit her routines she may well have been top 6, but she flew under the radar.
Final thoughts: Many… will probably have to properly summarize later. But I loved the camaraderie between athletes on the floor, and the amazing diversity of the medalists in finals. Still do not love the 2-per rule or the size of the finals. I’d love to see 12 in EF, with two one-touch warm-ups. Also, since the time between warm up and competition is an issue with 36 in the AA, fine, let’s do 48 with warm-ups every 6. I know that’s asking a lot, lol… Bring back the finer deductions so that judges can differentiate between routines. Get someone in the NTC positions who better understands how to work within the code and has less ego (or just axe USAG, but I get legal stuff etc blah). NBC is terrible and should feel bad.

Best Leo: I really loved all of Andrade’s leos, along with Tang Xijing AA and Fan Yilin UB final
Worst Leo: USA and NED prelims
Best EF podium: V and BB
Biggest surprise: How much I liked Melnikova (she’s never impressed me before)
Biggest heartbreak: China in TF. They were even worse than I expected.
Gymnast you’re most impressed by: Suni Lee, Tang Xijing, Guan Chenchen, Rebeca Andrade
Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024: Tang Xijing, MJDJS, Yeo Seojeong, the Gadirova twins, and Andrade if her knee holds up
Final thoughts: It was wonderful to see so many gymnasts make history–especially Andrade and YSJ.

Best Leo: I never take any notice of leotards, no idea.
Worst Leo: See above
Best EF podium: WAG FX- actually best final in general, a real showcase of the very best routines. I would have been happy with any combination of winners.
Worst EF podium: WAG UB- disappointing final in general with so many major mistakes. Lost interest.
Biggest surprise: Team GB Bronze and Simone pulling out of competition, Carey on VT.
Biggest heartbreak: Larisa.
Gymnast you’re most impressed by: So many. Andrade one of the major ones.
Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024: Pretty much everybody!
Final thoughts: I loved this Olympics, surprisingly. Lots of twists and surprises, lots of diverse winners.

WAG
Best Leo: None I loved without question but the Dutch prelims and the blue Japanese one stood out.
Worst Leo: Not sure about the bottom of the pile.
Best EF podium: WAG FX. Swapping gold and silver would have been perfect but I was so happy that Ferrari and Murakami finally won medals. This was the best EF, so many memorable routines, a range of styles and some great tumbling.
Worst EF podium: WAG UB. Not a terrible podium but that final was just such a mess. I couldn’t help but think about Downie either.
Biggest surprise: It’s hard to compare but GB team bronze and Simone-less finals. Surprises at the opposite ends of the spectrum.
Biggest heartbreak: Larisa (again :cry:)
Gymnast you’re most impressed by: Andrade.
Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024: Everyone but especially the Gadarovi, they have so much potential.
Final thoughts: We were not ready to be ushered into the post-Simone era. What a rollercoaster of a games.

Last edited:
MAG
Best Leo: I liked the blue Japanese singlet.
Worst Leo: All the eagle ones from USA and GER.
Best EF podium: PB
Worst EF podium: FX
Biggest surprise: Artur’s Achilles surviving three AA competitions.
Biggest heartbreak: Rhys not hitting in EF/Uchimura missing HB EF.
Gymnast you’re most impressed by: ?
Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024: Everyone.
Final thoughts: It was such a dramatic TF that the incredibly competitive AA final somehow paled in comparison.

Best Leo: don’t know
Worst Leo: I wasn’t particularly appreciating my darling rebeca’s choices, though loving the handkie in the hair
Best EF podium: I’m going to say WAG vt cause I was so elated for Rebeca
Worst EF podium: MAG VT + FX / the tie breaking procedures literally pushed the person with the lower execution first both times, I truly think these are both plain wrong.
Biggest surprise: Obviously Simone not being able to compete, and also Rebeca stepping up to the plate I must say. She did throw the gold away but I legit didn’t think she’d go through two clean AAs, including great bars on the day that mattered.
Biggest heartbreak: Iordache
Gymnast you’re most impressed by: I’m going to say Rebeca for the reasons stated above
Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024: MELANIE PLEASE GYMGODS GRANT US THIS ONE WISH, MELANIE HITTING LIGHTS OUT IN PARIS
Final thoughts: I had been out of the sport for about 6 years, since approx 2015, and I must say generally I feel it is in a better place, purely from the sport side I mean. I thought the scorers were more or less for the most part understandable to me, and I really enjoyed the competitiveness of almost all events. MAG remains apparently better suited to the code than WAG, the competitions are clearly better and there are less errors, but this time around WAG seemed all in all in a better place. I understand part of this is Simone not competing, but still, I. think some further tweaking and it could be a nice, understandable, enjoyable sport, which for a while at least for me it wasn’t.

Best Leo: I liked Australia’s
Worst Leo: most of the over designed Italian and Russian ones
Best EF podium: vault
Worst EF podium: floor
Biggest surprise: ROC team golds by two!
Biggest heartbreak: Larissa ;_;
Gymnast you’re most impressed by: Yeo and Andrade
Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024: Yeo and Guan Chen Chen
Final thoughts: Simone is a rock star who deserves the world for what she has done for the sport and herself.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back