2024 Winter Cup

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

There is no motivation to compete at Baku, other than Suni has which is to get a named skill.
Although maybe a new senior like Hezly Rivera would like to get senior level experience internationally.

Suni did two events and placed 26th and 13th on them. If she goes to Baku it’s over a large number of gymnasts who out performed her at Winter Cup.

Lots of these girls would love an international assignment. I don’t know why some of you feel representing Team USA internationally is nothing, but it’s a big goal for many. Especially most of the gymnasts at this meet in contention for the assignment who haven’t been to a Worlds or Olympics already.

Yes, but I suppose the Winter Cup results will be taken into account too when choosing gymnasts for further international assignments.
There is no reason to send anyone to Baku really, other than get a skill named, and the only one to have something to get named is Suni.
(remember how Simone retired without getting her YDP named and we speculated that she should keep training it and then compete it at a World Cup competition just for the sake of getting it named?)
ETA: and, as @QuietColours mentioned, it would be an excellent opportunity to test how Suni copes out-of-her comfort zone medically.

An international assignment has inherent value in itself and is an important, worthwhile goal for many. It's still entirely legitimate to prioritise the reigning Olympic champion in an Olympic year over gymnasts who fall into the first category.

An international assignment has inherent value in itself and is an important, worthwhile goal for many. It's still entirely legitimate to prioritise the reigning Olympic champion in an Olympic year over gymnasts who fall into the first category.
Exactly this. Someone like Addison Fatta has no shot at the Olympics, but the commentators at Winter Cup indicated that she finds real motivation and pride in representing the US at minor international meets. And watching coverage of those, she was clearly having a blast. For lots of these gymnasts, a Baku assignment would be the highlight of an elite career and a source of pride for a lifetime to say that they represented the US internationally.

Exactly this. Someone like Addison Fatta has no shot at the Olympics, but the commentators at Winter Cup indicated that she finds real motivation and pride in representing the US at minor international meets. And watching coverage of those, she was clearly having a blast. For lots of these gymnasts, a Baku assignment would be the highlight of an elite career and a source of pride for a lifetime to say that they represented the US internationally.
I think we fans often underestimate the importance of achieving a place at Olympic trials and being there when the team is announced.

Speaking of Fatta, have we heard anything about her after that vault? I know she was walking at awards

Exactly this. Someone like Addison Fatta has no shot at the Olympics, but the commentators at Winter Cup indicated that she finds real motivation and pride in representing the US at minor international meets.
I think that in an Olympic Games year, the spring international assignments should serve exactly that purpose, to assess the gymnasts who DO have shot at the Olympics...

I think that in an Olympic Games year, the spring international assignments should serve exactly that purpose, to assess the gymnasts who DO have shot at the Olympics...
Suni Lee did not demonstrate that she currently has a shot at the Olympics, IMO.

Suni Lee did not demonstrate that she currently has a shot at the Olympics, IMO.
You're right, of course.

But given her previous record, ability to contribute and lack of competitive experience this quad, it would be a good idea to provide her with an international assignment in order to facilitate her getting into that position.

Suni did two events and placed 26th and 13th on them. If she goes to Baku it’s over a large number of gymnasts who out performed her at Winter Cup.
Sure, but it's the Winter Cup, not 'Baku Team Trials', or anything of major significance (which significance stems mainly from the fact that it's the first meet of the year). I mean, I wouldn't assign Suni to anything on the basis of just this meet, but if she demonstrated successful routines in camp with the difficulty/execution she's capable of, her potential is higher than just about anyone else at Winter Cup to claim gold medals on her two events, and get an eponymous skill named.

Agreed... there truly aren't many opportunities for the best elites to get internationally scored during the year of the Olympics, so while I understand the 'developmental' POV I agree it would be best saved for any other year really. For someone like Fatta, while it's nice that she feels pride from attending, I don't really think that's particularly compelling as a reason for her to be picked, unless they are really just lacking for anyone and need volunteers.

Sure, but it's the Winter Cup, not 'Baku Team Trials', or anything of major significance (which significance stems mainly from the fact that it's the first meet of the year). I mean, I wouldn't assign Suni to anything on the basis of just this meet, but if she demonstrated successful routines in camp with the difficulty/execution she's capable of, her potential is higher than just about anyone else at Winter Cup to claim gold medals on her two events, and get an eponymous skill named.

Baku World Cup is in 9 days. There is no camp, they are picking who goes to Baku and DTB based on the performances at this Winter Cup.

That’s why competing at Winter Cup was the requirement to be eligible to receive these specific assignments (and Gymnix for the juniors.)

Baku World Cup is in 9 days. There is no camp, they are picking who goes to Baku and DTB based on the performances at this Winter Cup.
There was a camp like three weeks ago and Suni was there.
Plus she could be also seen doing her routine during podium training, and then in warmups.
Naming her full twisting jaeger is a big argument why to send her to Baku, and she also proved she could do it consistently.
So I really hope they won't NOT send her to Baku just because she had a bad meet. She might not have many other opportunities, if any, to get it named.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I think something that Baker, Memmel, and Sacramone put in place is that athletes can request an assignment and then verify. Meanwhile other athletes can do a meet like this but not put themself in contention for an assignment. So not sure if that is in effect here or not.
I think start values are also considered, granted Suni didn't get her full start values here due to the misses/falls.

But sending Suni to Baku just so she can get her skill named after her bars performance might not be in best interest as it shows they favor Suni over others.

It will be interesting to see who gets selected.

I know Suni said she wants to go to Baku to get the skill named, but there's also an obvious rationale for sending her when she's had no international experience this quad.

Are there lots of gymnasts clamoring to go to baku? The USA doesn’t usually send anyone do they?

Suni's winter cup performance doesn't warrant selection but getting the trying to get an element named after her is a good enough reason to send her anyway. Being the current Olympic champion does buy her some grace in terms of performance.

And it would be a great opportunity to see how she holds up with long travel under her current health circumstances.

Couldnt she go to a differnt world cup event
No, because registration deadlines have passed. US registered for 2 WAG spots at Baku and none for Doha. Though Chiles and Miller were the names submitted, federations can change who they actually sent. But you can't make a last minute decision to attend a world cup.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back