2024 Olympic Articles and Media

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

While I am very glad Stephen is getting such attention, it does seem interesting that he’s getting so much attention for a bronze medal. This isn’t 1976 any more
I mean, the breaking lady from Australia is also getting a lot of attention and she didn't score a single point. You never know what is going to go viral. (though hers is probably not "good" attention)

Right guy at the right time with the right look and a good story after years of no medal for a male gymnast.
True… Alex Naddour didn’t get as much attention when he won the bronze on Pommel horse did he?

He got zero attention iirc.

Leyva has more medals and he wasn’t famous.

Right guy at the right time with the right look and a good story after years of no medal for a male gymnast.
Plus a very well framed build up from NBC.

They very successfully set him up to be star of the team with their countdown clock and the narrative through the entire team competition.

I love it. Good for him. And I wasn't even a big fan coming into the Games.

If the US hadn't ended on PH, I can't imagine he'd be getting even 1% of the attention he's getting. And good for him! Capitalize on that moment, because it's not going to happen again.
I should say, ended on PH in medal position. If the US had splatted all over the place on the first five events and finished 8th, the normies wouldn't have the first clue who Stephen Nedoroscik is. Everything had to fall into place just so for Stephen, and it did. Really, couldn't have scripted it better.

It’s kind of crazy that Brody getting sick and bombing prelims led to US ending on pommels and Stephen becoming a star.

Very true! Worth pointing out as well he probably indirectly benefitted from the US athletes making so few finals individually. If there'd been other hardware there might have been a competing story.

eta- cross post there!

I had not read that Brody got sick.

USAG said he wore it as a precaution. Maybe I assume it was a precaution to keep himself healthy when it was to keep everyone else from catching something.

They could have eaten at the same airport place. As did her father.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back