Other Olympic Sports--Articles and Discussion

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I ranked countries by a weighted medal count: gold=3 points, silver=2, bronze=1. Here are the top 21 countries by points.

1. USA - 250
2. CHN - 198
3. FRA - 122
4. GBR - 115
5. AUS - 108
6. JPN - 97
7. NED - 71
8. ITA - 70
9. KOR - 67
10. NZL - 47
11. HUN - 38
12. BRA - 33
13. ESP - 32
14. CAN - 31
15. IRI - 24
16. SWE - 23
16. UKR - 23
18. KEN - 21
19. ROU - 20
20. BEL - 17
20. NOR - 17
okay, now do per capita. St. Lucia for the win?

Forgive me if this was already covered but there was an interesting article in this weekends WSJ about Breakdancing in the Olympics

From the perspective of the IOC the motivation to include it as an Olympic Sport was basically self perservation. Younger audiences are "increasingly ignoring the Games" and the World Dance Sport Federation convinced the IOC that Breakdancing was a way to attract younger viewers.

From the perspective of breakdancing insiders on the other hand inclusion in the Olympics was a way of bypassing Breakdancing's "countercultural pioneers " and effectively erasing its Black roots.

Not having a personal connection to Breakdancing's roots I can not comment on that perspective.

But I will say that in my experience any institution which tries to preserve itself by taking on a new element soley for the reason of self-preservation has indeed lost its way and deserves to die a natural death.

To me the good news is Breakdancing will not be included in LA in 2028. At least thats what I read somewhere.

Last edited:
Forgive me if this was already cvoered but there was an interesting article in this weekends WSJ about Breakdancing in the Olympics

From the perspective of the IOC the motivation to include it as an Olympic Sport was basically self perservation. Younger audiences are "increasingly ignoring the Games" and the World Dance Sport Federation convinced the IOC that Breakdancing was a way to attract younger viewers.

From the perspective of breakdancing insiders on the other hand inclusion in the Olympics was a way of bypassing Breakdancing's "countercultural pioneers " and effectively erasing its Black roots.

Not having a personal connection to Breakdancing's roots I can not comment on that perspective.

But I will say that in my experience any institution which tries to preserve itself by taking on a new element soley for the reason of self-preservation has indeed lost its way and deserves to die a natural death.

To me the good news is Breakdancing will not be included in LA in 2028. At least thats what I read somewhere.
I don’t know any young people who were drawn by Olympic break dancing. Every sport at the Olympics has young people, from a variety of backgrounds, doing absolutely amazing things. And social media has allowed particularly younger people, to connect more closely with the athletes. Videos like get ready with me, come with me to get my Olympic rings tattoo, a day in my life in the Olympic village have been extremely popular. I wonder how many young people ended up watching the Olympics as a result of something they saw on social media?

The IOC has implemented good ideas to get younger generations into the Olympics. Adding Sport Climbing in 2020 & 2024 was a smart decision so it was promoted to core sport status. The addition of breaking for Paris was poorly thought out.

The IOC has implemented good ideas to get younger generations into the Olympics. Adding Sport Climbing in 2020 & 2024 was a smart decision so it was promoted to core sport status. The addition of breaking for Paris was poorly thought out.
Skateboarding has been a really successful introduction, but I do feel that in 10 years time we’re going to hear about massive safeguarding issues

Why on earth did the IOC recognize World Dance Sport as the governing body for breakdancing in the first place? That never should have happened, and that's entirely on the IOC.

Why on earth did the IOC recognize World Dance Sport as the governing body for breakdancing in the first place? That never should have happened, and that's entirely on the IOC.
As I discussed earlier in this thread I think it was just because WDS convinced the IOC that it would be a good way to attract younger viewers which is apparently a current concern for the IOC. And yes . . . . .it should never have happened.

Forgive me if this was already covered but there was an interesting article in this weekends WSJ about Breakdancing in the Olympics

I think the problem with younger audiences is their attention span due to the prevalence of social media applications with short video formatting. They don’t go to the movies as much either. I’m not sure how you get them to watch through full athletic competitions, in general.

You start 'em young! We started taking my seven year old to sports events when he was 10 weeks old (yes, we're insane), and other than Truck Tunes and Super Simple Songs videos, sports was the only stuff he saw on screens until Covid hit (and I became desperate to entertain him while trying to work. Old school Thomas the Tank Engine was a hit). Now he will happily sit through sporting events, even on TV. He was enthralled with the triathlon mixed relay. But we're an unusual household. All my neighbors complain they can't get their kids to sit through an entire movie, let alone attend an in-person sports event.

You start 'em young! We started taking my seven year old to sports events when he was 10 weeks old (yes, we're insane), and other than Truck Tunes and Super Simple Songs videos, sports was the only stuff he saw on screens until Covid hit (and I became desperate to entertain him while trying to work. Old school Thomas the Tank Engine was a hit). Now he will happily sit through sporting events, even on TV. He was enthralled with the triathlon mixed relay. But we're an unusual household. All my neighbors complain they can't get their kids to sit through an entire movie, let alone attend an in-person sports event.
That’s a good idea. I feel like that was why I was so glad to see parents bring younger kids to the Olympics, despite the cost. Exposure helps.

Right? It just screams old people asking themselves "what do those young whippersnappers find cool these days? I know, that breakdancing stuff!"
I’m genuinely surprised that no-one has proposed e-sports. After all, it’s not really any different to shooting

I don't know where to ask this, but where can you watch full replays of Olympic coverage besides Peacock and do I need a VPN blocker? I particularly want to rewatch the opening ceremony and artistic gymnastics event finals day 1, but really I'm interested in anything I missed while I was at other events.

Last edited:
Kim Jong-Un impersonator Howard X did this during a North Korea vs. China table tennis match.

I'm glad North Korea's back.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back