Olympic Articles and Media

Attachments

• usa-olympics-2024 Medium.jpeg
    usa-olympics-2024 Medium.jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 3,930
Another day, another article!

And laughing at this
Least favorite gymnastics move
Probably a side aerial along the beam. I mean, [the beam’s] already four inches wide, so anything you do up there is pretty hard.

The stuff about Dawes in 2000 is interesting. I don't think there was anything new about Moc or Miller, but Dawes wanting to pull out of 2000 trials is news to me.

Can't believe Moceanu's middle child, Vincent is 15 and is looking to compete in 2028 in gymnastics.
He has amazing toe point!

Simone Biles' much anticipated interview with The Onion.

ESPN 30 U.S. Olympians to watch in Paris.

Simone Biles is #1 on the list.
Suni Lee is #2 on the list.
Frederick Richard is #3.

Not sure if this is in specific order or random order?

Frederick Richard is #3.

The Guardian has countered with their top 24 (edit: across all countries).

1. Simone Biles
9. Rebeca Andrade
18. Kaylia Nemour (shoutout to Ben Bloom, whoever he is, for paying attention!!)

Simone was always going to to be at the top IMO.
Maybe ot goes in chronological order of events? Gymnastics starts right off on Saturday folloowing opening ceremonies.

Frederick Richard is #3.

Pretty cool to see the men's side of things getting solid attention, as well

I just read it and this stood out: “No case exemplified a failing athlete safety system more than Akopyan’s, which has not been previously reported. Ten former gymnasts told The Post that Akopyan physically abused them or their teammates when they were girls, including nine who said he had thrown young gymnasts to the ground in anger, sometimes hard enough to leave bruises. In 2010, documents show, Los Angeles police investigated him for possible child abuse over allegations he dragged a young girl by the neck and arm, bruising her — an incident two gymnasts told The Post they witnessed. And Desiree Palomares, a former All Olympia gymnast, said that when she was around 11, Akopyan slapped her across the face after he believed she had spoken back to him.

Akopyan served as personal coach to several Olympians, including gold medalist McKayla Maroney. (Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Gymnasts also said Akopyan was emotionally abusive, screaming, degrading them and mocking their injuries. And they said Marinova, the gym’s co-owner, emotionally abused and body-shamed them.”

That's wild. I knew that AOGC had many issues, but I didn't know that physical violence was one of them. Are Akopyan or Marinova coaching elsewhere these days, or just laying low?

Still running AOGC. Still coaching.

Pay close attention near the end of the article about Artur crossing the line about physical touch. That was my experience with him. I wish I had spoken up when he crossed those lines with me along with remarks he made about my physical appearance when I was 21, more than 20 years ago. I was beyond uncomfortable but rationalized it as cultural differences and language misunderstanding. I'm sure I wasn't the first he did that to, and I know I wasn't the last--nor the youngest. The man is an abuser and predator.

Still running AOGC. Still coaching.

Pay close attention near the end of the article about Artur crossing the line about physical touch. … The man is an abuser and predator.
He is.

Wait, what? I thought the gym folded after Maroney and Larson spoke publicly about their experiences there.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back