2023 World Qualification Status and Named Teams

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Denommee just competed in ROU at the FIG RomGym Trophy and came 2° behind Voinea on FX. She also scored 9,00 in QC on BB. Turner is down to compete in FRA on the 16-17.

Not sure about Turner, but she didn’t compete at World Trials, so maybe she is returning from said injury.

Denommee did do Trials on just beam and floor (I must have overlooked her) she was 5th on beam and 7th on floor so those results must not have been enough to be selected.

They took the top 3 AA at trials and added Woo (didn’t do vault night 2) but finished 2nd on bars and 3rd on beam.
Lee didn’t do AA and was 1st on beam and 5th on floor.

Pedrick injured herself on floor. Olsen finished 2nd on vault but was 11th on beam and floor.
Spence only did bars and was 10th.

Woo came away from Mersin with 2 x 2° place on UB and BB.

(and I was told that Pedrick tore her ACL)

Last edited:
Woo came away from Mersin with 2 x 2° place on UB and BB.

(and I was told that Pedrick tore her ACL)
Good for Woo, she is clearly either doing AA or is bars and beam.
I would probably leave Stewart off beam and floor and have Lee do them, with the others doing AA.

Not good for Pedrick and her ACL, that is horrible news especially with one year before Paris.

I’m not sure if CAN will make the TF. Even though all except for Tran have OG/WC experience, it is a high hill to climb with only Black coming from the 3° place team of '22.

Really good thing they qualified already and i guess better this year than next. Hopefully the canadian federation doesn’t have the outrageous medal expectations BG has for their team.

BGs selection policy wants a top 5 finish, which is very likely. The team has the pressure of that I’ve medaled each competition and are the current European champions, not from BG themselves

I think BGs are more odd than anything else. Two medals overall is very realistic (less so the upper end!) but their best or second best chance is probably team.

Selection camp is 9/18 to 9/20. Invitees have not been made pubic yet, but Addison Fatta posted on Instagram that she is going. Simone and Shilese are automatically invited as they finished 1-2 at Nationals. Selection procedures require a minimum of 6 additional athletes. I can’t imagine they only take 8, though.

I believe pan mas selection is the same camp, so they need 2 full teams plus reserves. At least 12 I guess.

If Fatta is going, as she confirmed herself somewhere, then that’s down to 17th place in the AA with 9th on UB being her highest event placement besides vault, where she was 5th out of 6 two-vaulters. Unless she’s getting a special pass because she represented the U.S. internationally this year, I’d say this is going to be a fairly well-attended selection camp, with way more than enough athletes to field the two teams.

I don’t see how all 10 NT members are not invited to selection camp.

Fatta makes sense as an invite despite being 7th AA because she also has two vaults, so even if Worlds is out of the picture, that would put her in possible contention for Pan Ams as a potential VT finalist and even medalist, depending on who makes the team.

In addition, Lincoln, Carey, Lee, and Zeiss would be obvious invites. Possibly Zoe Miller as well.

I also think Zhou and Matthews as well. Which, if I counted accurately is 18.

Potentially Madray Johnson (BB potential) and Myli Lew (UB potential). Madray was also top 8 in the AA after night one but fell off beam in night 2.

Last edited:
Vaelen and Derwael are out. Disastrous for Belgium.

Dislocated shoulder for Nina, mononucleosis for Lisa

Between this and Seitz’ injury, the Aussies/Romanians are breathing a sigh of relief, and Korea/Mexico will like their chances to pull an upset. It’s gonna be a great battle for 13-15th. Maellyse Brassart was also missing from the Belgian squad that competed at the 1st German trials. I think even getting a nominative spot is going to be difficult for Belgium.

I would love to see South Korea qualify a team. The 80s were a good decade for South Korean WAG with the Asian Games success and qualifying teams to Moscow and Seoul. I wonder what happened for them to not be able to build off that in the last few decades.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back