2023 World Qualification Status and Named Teams

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Eli Seitz tore her achilles :cry:
Obviously she won’t be competing at worlds. I hope that she can come back in time for Paris.
This is going to be a huge blow to Germany’s chances for qualifying a full team. It was already on the bubble WITH Seitz. Without her, I don’t think it will be possible with the level of parity amongst bubble teams.
Romania, Australia, Hungary, Mexico, and South Korea are looking really good and then you add in Japan, Brazil, China, Italy, Belgium, France, and Netherlands, it really will be a blood bath for those 9 spots, with 13 teams realistically in competition. 4 of these teams are going to be disappointed.

Some substitutions due to injuries and withdrawls.

substitutions due to injuries and withdrawn for 2023 Worlds

Paloma Mintcheva (Bulgaria) withdrawn and replaced by Kaja Skalska (Poland)
Sydney Barros (Puerto Rico) injured and replaced by Stella Diaz (Puerto Rico)
Christina Zwicker (Croatia) injured and replaced by Anastasija Ananjeva (Latvia)
Oksana Chusovitina (Uzbekistan) withdrawn and replaced by Bilge Tarhan (Türkiye)
Agata Vostruchovaite (Lithuania) withdrawn and replaced by Gulnaz Jumabekova (Uzbekistan)
Nancy Taman (Egypt) was withdrawn and replaced by Amina Khalimarden (Kazakhstan)
Vasiliki Millousi (Greece) was withdrawn and replaced by Rachel Yeoh Li Wen (Malaysia)
Rachel Yeoh Li Wen (Malaysia) was withdrawn and replaced by Derin Tanriyasükür (Türkiye)
Jasmin Salama (Egypt) withdrawn and replaced by Mariana Parente (Portugal)
Caterina Cereghetti (Switzerland) withdrawn and replaced by Anny Wu (Switzerland)
Charlie Chan Cheuk Lam (Hong Kong) withdrawn and replaced by Samira Gahramanova(Azerbaijan)

Updated: 9/19/23 :Caterina Cereghetti (Switzerland) withdrawn and replaced by Anny Wu (Switzerland) / Charlie Chan Cheuk Lam (Hong Kong) withdrawn and replaced by Samira Gahramanova(Azerbaijan)

Last edited:
Romania, Australia, Hungary, Mexico, and South Korea are looking really good and then you add in Japan, Brazil, China, Italy, Belgium, France, and Netherlands, it really will be a blood bath for those 9 spots, with 13 teams realistically in competition. 4 of these teams are going to be disappointed.
The fact that I’m now struggling to remember who has qualified a full team aside from the USA. 20 years ago it would have been a given that Romania and China would have a full team qualified alongside Russia.

GB and Canada, fyi. (I had to look it up recently. I had forgotten Canada. Sorry, Canadians)

Last edited:
I assume because of Asian Games. Her initial target for competing beyond Tokyo was a medal there (before it was postponed to clash with Worlds) and her chances of qualifying to Paris via Worlds were not great.

Tbh, with Olympic qualification by any route far from guaranteed, I do wonder if she would have any thought of potentially going out on a high in Hangzhou.

why is Oksana out?
It would have been hard for her to qualify via the AA and she was/is unlikely to be the highest finisher from a non qualified team on vault given the talent there. She has a better option of going to World Cup and qualifying via the point system instead.

20 years ago it would have been a given that Romania and China would have a full team qualified alongside Russia.
Imagine if China and Romania don’t qualify.
Back in 2004 would you have ever imagined a future Olympics with only the US competing and not the others?

China is highly likely to qualify, but you never know if they have a team finals meltdown in team qualifications and other teams are stepping up.

Romania I am hopeful for this time around but still think they will miss the top 9 teams. I can see them in 11th or 12th of the teams not already qualified.

A vault medal in Hangzhou would make her the most decorated gymnast in the history of the Asian Games. She’s tied with Chen Cuiting at 8 medals currently. Of interest, Uzbekistan’s only team medal at the Asian Games came from 2010 when Chuso was competing for Germany.

Canada WAG: Ellie Black, Cassie Lee, Ava Stewart, Aurelie Tran, Rose Woo. Alt: Fréderiqué Sgarbossa

Wow, only Ellie returns from last year’s team. I know they were pretty decimated by injury last year, but that surprises me.

Spence, Denommee, Pedrick are out with injuries.
Spence did only bars at Trials. The later two I believe both scratched Trials because of injury.
Sydney Turner I’m unsure about but I didn’t see her name in the Trials results so I assume she is also injured.

Either way the team is already qualified to Paris so this is a good chance to test the depth of the team.
Black, Tran, Woo are likely to do AA with Stewart on UB and Lee on BB and FX. Not sure which of the two will vault in prelims.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back