2023 World Championships & Pan American Games Team Trials (USA)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Vault scores
20230920_133108

For the question about alternate, I believe being an alternate still qualifies for the funding. She has to be a national team member to represent the US internationally.

I don’t think Jade will be an alternate though.

Last edited:
Unless this is a recent change, an alternate can be subbed in at Worlds from prelims to TF (e.g. Italy in 2015), but not at the Olympics. So the risk of needing a Roberson/Carey/Lincoln bar routine in TF is exceedingly low.

I think Roberson is a lock, unfortunately. Normally I would vouch for Carey but she’s had bad Cheng and DTY attempts at separate competitions and her upgraded floor just did not come together. Lincoln has no second vault, no usable bars, and her floor score went down at camp at exactly the moment it needed to go 14.3+

Exactly, it’s such a remote “what if?” possibility that it’s a waste to even bother. I would have had Lincoln and Roberson do beam and floor, Jade VT/FX, and Chiles UB/FX.

I believe the argument of Roberson being on the Worlds team has been settled if there is no injury. Today it is more about choosing another team member to complement her weakness. Miller and Wong are top candidates.

Last edited:
Gymcastic is reporting that the vault was slippery. Maybe that is why Jade struggled??

I agree. No way after seeing the scores from yesterday does Roberson get left off the team. I hate it.

On a team of Jones, Roberson, Biles, and Blakely, you wouldn’t really use Wong on anything in TF. I think she’s better as an alternate. If that’s the team, I guess I’m now willing to entertain Miller if she hits tonight.

Pan Ams is also facing a bars problem. I see no reason why Lincoln, Sumanasekera, and Carey (if she wants it) shouldn’t be on the team, except that one of them will have to do bars alongside Chiles and DiCello. But if Carey doesn’t earn a spot, then you add Alicia Zhou and the problem is solved.

Wong may do beam in TF if one of Biles / Blakely / Jones falls in qualification. Otherwise, Wong is there mainly for back up. Miller can hit a mid to high 14 bars. It all depends on their performance today and what the selection committee prioritizes.

Last edited:
Wong could also do bars in place of Biles in TF. She had two 14s to Biles 14.35 and 14.05 at Championships–it might be worth it to give Biles a rest. It adds less than Miller’s potential score but is potentially more consistent as well.

I’d love to know who was hitting what consistently in practice.

Last edited:
Unless this is a recent change, an alternate can be subbed in at Worlds from prelims to TF (e.g. Italy in 2015), but not at the Olympics. So the risk of needing a Roberson/Carey/Lincoln bar routine in TF is exceedingly low.
Correct an alternate could go in for team finals at Worlds but not at Olympics.

Wong could also do bars in place of Biles in TF. She had two 14s to Biles 14.35 and 14.05 at Championships–it might be worth it to give Biles a rest. It adds less than Miller’s potential score but is potentially more consistent as well.

I’d love to know who was hitting what consistently in practice.
I also have Wong on bars over Biles in team finals.
Really you can put Wong up anywhere on all 4 events, same with Biles and Jones. Blakely is close to that as well but her ankles and floor consistency are an issue. Shame because the World judges loved her on floor last year.

I think Wong just sealed her place on the team with that bar set.

I’m much more sold on Wong as the 5th team member as opposed to Miller. Simone’s Bars, Shi’s beam, and Robertson’s floor (will it be as well-received at worlds as it was yesterday? Has everyone now gone blind?) are still a gamble for team finals. I’m also not convinced Miller’s UB will be as well received internationally as it is domestically.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back