2023 US Classic (Pre Meet and WAG Juniors Discussion)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

If they weren’t scheduled for it before, they’re finding space for it now
It has been on the Olympic channel (once I think) and NBC Sports channel previously, including NBCSN last year, so I imagine it will be on NBCSN again considering OC is defunct.
Otherwise I am sure it’ll be on Peacock, whether it is Plus or not is up to be determined.

I would guess all the sessions will be on Peacock Plus and the WAG senior session (or second session) would be on Peacock or NBCSN.

NBCSN doesn’t exist any more. There a still a handful of regional sports networks using the NBCSN brandin, but the national network ceased operations at the end of 2021.

NBCSN doesn’t exist any more. There a still a handful of regional sports networks using the NBCSN brandin, but the national network ceased operations at the end of 2021.
Which is weird because I still have NBCSN on FUBO and that is how I watched US Classic last year.

So it’ll likely be on Peacock and maybe also the regional NBCSNs.

A few years ago I thought Flipnow would be something but its not so much.

I was going to buy tickets last night, my folks live 15 minutes from Hoffman estates, I texted my mom and was like “maybe we’ll come up with the kids”… That was dumb of me, I can’t believe they sold out that fast. I mean, I can, I just wasn’t expecting to have to be so proactive with a family vacation.

Thinking ahead to who will make the World team… Blakely and Wong’s best chance at the World team is probably if one or more of Biles, Lee, Jones, Carey, and Chiles is not ready or injured.

But regardless, at Nationals and Worlds selection, I’m hoping Skye nails beam, as that and an improved AA performance are her strengths for the team.

I’m hoping Wong hits 8 for 8 at Nationals, and is healthy. Ideally, I’d like to see her score well on beam and upgrade bars.

Interested to see how Sumanasekera figures in against the A listers.

And although it may not be likely, I’m hoping McClain and Douglas somehow compete at Nats and Worlds selection and shake things up.

Curious if Biles is planning all four events at Nats or if she’s specializing on VT and BB. Or VT and FX. Maybe we’ll find out at Classic, even if she doesn’t compete all 4.

Suni’s UB composition will be interesting to see at Classic, given the limited time since the NCAA season and her kidney issue. Especially as bars and beam are her most valuable events to the team.

If the other team members are Chiles, Jones, and Carey, then Biles and Lee really only need to do their specialty events this year to get back in the game. Carey’s spot is really looking like the weakest claim at the moment based on this team construction, though, especially if Chiles gets the Cheng.

Lee might be wanting another chance at a World AA medal, but she’s shown no training footage of vault and floor lately, right? Then again, we’ve seen practically nothing from Jones aside from the “new” beam acro series, so I guess this is par for the course for the top group at the moment.

There’s a chance she was just conditioning, but the photos of Biles by the bars from a month ago seem to indicate she is going AA this year. Or at the very least, is planning on UB.

In my dream world, she builds towards:

Weiler 1/2 + Maloney + Tkachev DDD .3
Shang + Pak + Van Leeuwen FDE .3
Toe 1/1 + Fabrichnova DF .1
FFEDDDDD 3.7 + 2.2 + .7 = 6.6

The only sticky part is if she does Pak + toe on (missing the shoot to high bar), then she would have to do a regular giant 1/1 + Fab and count a 6.4 (because 3 max root toe-on skills)

I totally forgot she can’t do both Tkachev and piked Tkachev. This code is horse manure

Last edited:

Now that we’ve had a solid day of “Simone Biles is back…IS SHE GOOD?” takes following the announcement that she’ll compete at Classic, here’s a look at her routines from 2021 (I used the ones from nationals) and how they stand up to the adjustments in the 2022-2024 code of points.

BARS
2021 US Nationals
2022-2024 Code
Weiler 1/2 + Maloney + Tkatchev
D+D+D = 0.3 CV Weiler 1/2 + Maloney + Tkatchev
D+D+D = 0.3 CV
Toe 1/1 + Tkatchev pike + Pak
D+E+D = 0.3 CV Toe 1/1 + Tkatchev pike + Pak
D+X+D
Van leeuwen
E Van leeuwen
E
Fabrichnova
F Fabrichnova
F = 0.2 DB
TOTAL
Composition – 2.0 Composition – 2.0
FEEDDDDD – 3.6 FEDDDDDB – 3.3
Connection value – 0.6 Connection value – 0.3
Dismount bonus – 0.2
Total D – 6.2 Total D – 5.8

The major compositional change required in Simone’s routines comes on bars because, if she were to perform her previous routine, she would get zero credit for the piked Tkatchev as the code now prohibits multiple Tkatchev variations without twisting from the same root circle—in this case a giant swing.

Because she is also already counting the maximum number of toe-on skills in this routine, the most straightforward solution would be to change one of the Tkatchev variations to be from a clear-hip, Stalder, or (heaven forbid) inbar circle so that she can get credit for both again.

Changing that first Tkatchev in combination to either a Hindorff or Ricna would add a tenth in skill value, restore the E credit for the Tkatchev piked, and restore 0.2 in connection value for that second piked Tkatchev series (downgraded from 0.3 CV in the previous code), which would bring her up to a 6.4 D score.

Either that or a more drastic reorganization of the bars routine.

BEAM
2021 US Nationals
2022-2024 Code
Wolf turn triple
E Wolf turn triple
E
Aerial + split + straddle
D+B+B = 0.1 CV, 0.1 SB Aerial + Split + Straddle
D+B+B = 0.1 CV, 0.1 SB
Bhs + layout so + layout so B+C+C = 0.1 CV, 0.1 SB Bhs + layout so + layout so
B+C+C = 0.1 CV, 0.1 SB
Switch + switch 1/2 + back pike C+D+C = 0.2 CV, 0.1 SB Switch + switch 1/2 + back pike C+D+C = 0.2 CV, 0.1 SB
Side aerial
D Side aerial
D
Straddle 1/2 + split 1/2 (side)
D+D = 0.2 CV Straddle 1/2 + split 1/2 (side)
X+X
Bhs + bhs + double tuck 1/1 B+B+G = 0.2 CV, 0.1 SB Bhs + bhs + double tuck 1/1 B+B+G = 0.1 SB, 0.2 DB
TOTAL
Acro – GDDC – 1.8 Acro – GDDCC – 2.1
Dance – EDDD – 1.7 Dance – EDC – 1.2
Connection value – 0.8
Series bonus 0.4 Connection value – 0.4
Series bonus – 0.4
Dismount bonus – 0.2
Total D – 6.7 Total D – 6.3

Two code changes affect Biles’ beam routine, though the loss of 0.2 dismount connection value is counterbalanced by the addition of the 0.2 dismount bonus, so that one is a wash.

The only other issue is the change of technique for side jumps on beam, where the previous technique of 1/2 turn—split—1/2 turn no longer gets full credit. Biles could adjust the technique to get those 0.4 back and return to 6.7 for this routine (6.8 if she performs the double double dismount, but it’s not worth enough to be a thing)—or just ditch them, or replace them with other skills. Or whatever.

FLOOR
2021 US Nationals
2022-2024 Code
Triple double
J Triple double
J
DLO 1/2 + stag
G+A = 0.1 CV DLO 1/2 + stag
G+A = 0.1 CV
Switch 1/1
D Switch 1/1
D
Wolf turn triple
E Wolf turn triple
E
Front 1/1 + double tuck 1/1
C+E = 0.2 CV Front 1/1 + double tuck 1/1
C+E = 0.2 CV
Switch + split leap 1.5
B+D Switch + split leap 1.5
B+D
Double double tuck
H Double double tuck
H = 0.2 DB
TOTAL
Acro – JHGEC – 3.3 Acro – JHGEC – 3.3
Dance – EDD – 1.3 Dance – EDD – 1.3
Connection value – 0.3 Connection value – 0.3
Dismount bonus – 0.2
Total D – 6.9 Total D – 7.1

Floor is where Simone has gained tenths in the new code without changing anything, as her top-difficulty floor routine from 2021 is unchanged in skill value and connection bonus but gets up over the heralded 7.0 difficulty mark with the addition of the dismount bonus.

VAULT
2021 US Nationals
2022-2024 Code
Cheng
6.0 Cheng
Amanar
5.8 Amanar
2021 US Classic
Yurchenko double pike
6.6 Yurchenko double pike

On vault, everything is down 4 tenths, so that’s a loss in difficulty but one that everyone else also experiences on every vault.

I’d love to see her do this beam routine:

Switch leap mount + switch leap + switch leap 1/2 DCD .3
Free walkover + split jump + straddle DBB .2
FF + loso + loso BCC .2
Mitchell E
Free cartwheel D
FF + bhs + full-in BBG .1
GDDCEDDC 3.4 + 2.2 + .8 = 6.4

Or switch leap mount + switch 1/2 + back pike for DDC .4, but I like that one less. Her back pike is kinda ick

Simone isn’t very staldery and even gymnasts who are staldery often s5rjggle to get them back after a break but I can see her having the capability for a massive hindorff

I know she’s never done it and she didn’t love UB, but could she do a Nabieva? She’s short and can get amplitude in her other skills, does anyone think she could do it?

Last edited:
I’d rather Simone go for slightly less difficulty and do it well. I don’t need to see her take landing deductions on everything or fly out of bounds or struggle on that damn toe full.

No. There’s a reason only the best bar workers can do it. You don’t see someone chuck a Nabieva.

Simone’s strength on bars has always been clean execution and that strategy has served her very well

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back