2021 worlds Day 1 EFs

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I watched a video with that Komova clip earlier today but it was fan-made so I didn’t trust it hahaha!! I was ignoring the twitter ppl all because I was looking at my outdated copy all day
Ha!

The annoying thing is that the FIG Help Desk videos are Unlisted - so you cannot search for them through Youtube. You need a link to click and find it.

Luo Ri - Uneven Bars Final

4 x E (Komova, ‘Lin’ pirouette, ‘Ling’ pirouette, piked Jaeger)
4 x D (Pak salto, Maloney, Gienger, full twisting double tuck dismount)

Total DV - 3.6

CV:

Komova + Pak salto (E + D or higher, both with flight) - 0.2

Maloney + Gienger (E + D or higher, both with flight, and D flight from low bar to high bar + C or higher with turn or flight on high bar) - 0.2

‘Lin’ pirouette + ‘Ling’ pirouette + piked Jaeger (E + E, where at most one E is a flight element x 2) - 0.2

Total CV - 0.6

CR

Flight from high bar to low bar - Pak salto
Flight element on same bar - Gienger
Different Grips - Komova, ‘Lin’ pirouette
Non-flight with 360 degree turn - ‘Ling’ pirouette

Total D - 3.6 + 0.6+ 2.0 = 6.2

Deductions

first glide kip on low bar
  • (insufficient extension in kips) 0.1
Komova
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
Pak salto
  • (insufficient height) 0.1
  • (angle of completion → between 31 and 45 degrees of handstand) 0.1^ (In real time I had this at 0.1, but given how quickly Luo snaps down from the catch I can see why it looks like she is past 45 degrees)
Gienger
  • (insufficient height, hips below bar height upon regrasp) 0.3
  • (underrotation of flight elements) 0.1
cast to handstand with legs straddled
  • (grip adjustment) 0.1
giant to blind change
  • (adjustment) 0.1# (likely not as obvious from the side)
‘Lin’ pirouette
  • (angle of completion → between 11 and 30 degrees of handstand) 0.1
piked Jaeger
  • (bent arms upon regrasp) 0.1
  • (insufficient height → hips at bar height) 0.1
giant 1/2
  • (angle of completion → between 11 and 30 degrees of handstand) 0.1
Total Deductions - (1.3 - 1.6) 8.4 - 8.7

Last edited:
I also almost deducted for that opening glide kip extension. Debatably could deduct the kip after the Gienger for the same

I know we’ve debated this a bit but… What is the point of competing inbars if they all have a built-in .1 for flexed feet? I don’t think it’s anatomically possible for a human to clear the low-bar without flexing their feet into the skill. No gymnast has ever done an inbar with pointed feet so I really don’t think we should be deducting this

Last edited:
Total Deductions - (1.3 - 1.6) 8.4 - 8.7
The big question is - what final score do you choose? We already have 3 scores in and your score will likely change whether Luo or Andrade is in 1st on our panel.

No gymnast has ever done an inbar with pointed feet so I really don’t think we should be deducting this
Tricky to see on the video, but I think this is the closest to a perfect Inbar we have ever seen (at 25s - I’ve lined it up already)

I don’t think she gets enough credit for having done her Inbars like this. This should be one of her legacies. It’s almost unrecognizable from the bullshit Inbars we see today.

Last edited:
Sloan had the deepest ever but she too flexed her feet! See other vids from 2008 for a clear angle

Last edited:
The big question is - what final score do you choose? We already have 3 scores in and your score will likely change whether Luo or Andrade is in 1st on our panel.
You can put down 8.6 for me, since my first instinct was only 0.1 for angle on the Pak. I haven’t seen Andrade’s routine from finals yet, but will put an evaluation when I do.

Last edited:
Not super impressed with Wei Xiaoyuan as the UB winner. Are she and Piskun the only 2 UB champs to dismount with a DLO 1/1? Have any silver or bronze medalists? I don’t think so but my memory is slipping lol

I watched a video with that Komova clip earlier today but it was fan-made so I didn’t trust it hahaha!! I was ignoring the twitter ppl all because I was looking at my outdated copy all day
Not sure which Komova clip you saw, but if it’s the one I saw it’s not fan-made. It’s actually from a PPT at a FIG judges meeting.

Last edited:
Not super impressed with Wei Xiaoyuan as the UB winner. Are she and Piskun the only 2 UB champs to dismount with a DLO 1/1? Have any silver or bronze medalists? I don’t think so but my memory is slipping lol
I think you’re right. The full twisting double layout dismount hasn’t even been very common among finalists as a whole, with Kuznetsova (1997), Ray (1999), and Sloan (2009) being the only ones that immediately come to mind.

Last edited:
I know we’ve debated this a bit but… What is the point of competing inbars if they all have a built-in .1 for flexed feet? I don’t think it’s anatomically possible for a human to clear the low-bar without flexing their feet into the skill. No gymnast has ever done an inbar with pointed feet so I really don’t think we should be deducting this
I can understand the argument about biomechanics. This is just my standard, but I don’t deduct if the feet are pointed as they pass under the bar(e.g. the way Melnikova does them).

But Melnikova does flex her feet as they clear the bar or pass under the bar. She sustains the toe point longer than most gymnasts but she very clearly flexes each time.

I agree with @YurchenkoLoop. It’s absurd to expect this.

I hope we all know that the gymnasts themselves talk about how stupid some of these deductions can be.

The pak catch deduction sounds to me like it belongs in this category. Do they expect them to catch in full handstand? I’m just asking, I really don’t understand.

Did it say that tapping the bar without it affecting rhythm is now no deduction?

Did it say that tapping the bar without it affecting rhythm is now no deduction?
Would you define tapping as “brushing” or “hitting.” I guess by definition, tapping without losing rhythm is “brushing” the apparatus.

Last edited:
Haha thank you!!

I knew the rule had changed but I thought I had dreamed it haha.

Yes the distinction is whether it affects the rhythm of the swing. For Luo, it clearly didn’t.

There’s a huge argument on Twitter right now about Luo not winning gold because of a foot tap.

On another note - do you think the FIG will ever release the full judges book from Tokyo (with R and a scores?) They did for rio but seemingly not for Tokyo 😦

Would you like to E Score some of the Worlds routines? I can send you an edit link to join our panel if you’re interested.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back