1st Chinese WAG Internal Trial

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

And most of the time it’s not even a true FHS+Front Tuck. Most of the time it’s actually a front walkover + Front Tuck. I’ve only seen two gymnasts that did a REAL FHS+Front Tuck. With actual flight on the FHS.

The second WAG internal test is scheduled for July 3 (MAG on July 2) and the team will be announced shortly after.

In other news, Guan Chenchen will be competing on all four apparatuses at this next trial, in an apparent bid to make the four person team. With her on the four person team, the door is very much opened to bring either Liu Tingting or Wei Xiaoyuan as a +1. Li Shijia’s readiness is still undetermined

Last edited:
I’m going to be refreshing this thread all weekend until the team is announced.

Gotta be an ouch to Liu Tingting but not much she could do with Ou Yushan and Guan Chenchen becoming senior.

Isnt this Lu Yufei’s first major international team she’s made since becoming senior in 2016?

Last edited:
Zhang Jin really earned her spot winning both internal trials.

Lu Yufei landed a great DTT (videos can be found on @suilu_wu’s twitter) but had problems on BB.

Tang Xijing did not compete her DTY though she verified it last week.

Wei Xiaoyuan did not connect her Pak + Van Leeuwen, so her D score was only 6.5. Sad that she won’t be there in Tokyo to challenge for the title.

Guan Chenchen hit beam again of course. Consistency Queen.

So guan chenchen is going for bb only? I feel I wouldn’t like this routine on paper but she does a really good job ofkeeping the flow, so I’m not mad at all

Beam and floor exercise I think. Plus AA prospects, though she hasn’t shown vault and floor consistently.

Lu Yufei and Zhang Jin are not really spectacular but they bring a level of consistency to the team that is desperately needed.

The team is weakest on UB ironically.

Well, if everyone hits in Tokyo, she’s the favorite for AA silver. She’s easily the best BB and FX worker on the team, which her scores from Nationals and Trials indicate. She also has the best DTY on the team, albeit one she only recently regained post-injury.

I also wouldn’t say Lu Yufei and Zhang Jin bring consistency. Throughout this trials process they’ve been more consistent, but Tang Xijing exemplifies consistency on this team which is why she was selected. She hasn’t fallen all year in competition, despite not being top 3 on any event.

Well, if everyone hits in Tokyo, she’s the favorite for AA silver.
Are you saying that Ou Yushan is favorite for AA silver ahead of all these people?!
  • Suni Lee (or even Jordan Chiles)
  • Rebecca Andrade
  • Mai Murakami
  • Larisa Iordache
  • Angelika Melnikova

With the scores above and these, that’s why I ask. She seems up down up down.

2021 Results
DateCompetitionVTUBBBFXAA
Jun 181st Chinese Olympic TrialsAA14.33314.33315.633————
May 4-9Chinese ChampionshipsEF——————12.666——
AA13.50014.43313.83314.33356.099
QF12.60014.20013.13314.13354.066

Last edited:
Definitely. As of right now, the only event Sunisa beats Ou on is UB and by less than a point, but a hit Ou has a point over Sunisa on beam. Is it plausible that Ou hits on AA day? No hahaha. But she has the goods more than anyone else. She has very minimal risk in her routines other than BB.

Guan Chenchen - Balance Beam

Acro

2 x E (layout to two feet, double pike dismount)
2 x D (front tuck, aerial)

Total Acro DV - 1.8

Dance

4 x D (switch leap mount, switch leap 1/2, side straddle jump 1/2, side split jump 1/2)

Total Dance DV - 1.6

CV / Series Bonus

switch leap mount + switch leap 1/2 + back handspring stepout (D + D dance x 1, D + B mixed) = 0.3 CV + 0.1 SB

roundoff + layout to two feet + split jump (B + E acro, D + B mixed) - 0.2 CV + 0.1 SB

switch leap + side switch leap + side straddle jump 1/2 + side split jump 1/2 (C + C dance, C + D dance, D + D dance) = 0.4 CV + 0.1 SB

front handspring + front tuck (B + D, both forward acro) = 0.2 CV

split leap + aerial + straddle jump + Korbut (B + D mixed x 2) - 0.1 CV + 0.1 SB

Total CV / SB = 1.7

CR

Dance Series - switch leap + side switch leap + side straddle jump 1/2 + side split jump 1/2
Turn - full turn
Acro Series with Salto - round off + layout to two feet
Acro Elements in Different Directions - back handspring stepout, front handspring

Total D - 3.4 + 1.7 + 2.0 = 7.1

Downgrades

switch leap mount + switch leap 1/2 + back handspring stepout
  • No connection awarded for the switch leap mount + switch leap 1/2 due to the balance adjustment on the mount. Connection now becomes a two element series, so no series bonus awarded.
Total D - 3.4 + 1.4 + 2.0 = 6.8

Deductions

switch leap mount
  • (insufficient split - between 0 and 20 degrees) 0.1
  • (small balance adjustment) 0.1
layout to two feet
  • (deviation from ideal landing posture / chest forward) 0.1
layout to two feet + split jump
  • (poor rhythm of connection) 0.1
split jump
switch leap + side switch leap
  • (poor rhythm of connection) 0.1 ^
side switch leap + side straddle jump 1/2
side straddle jump 1/2
  • (body shape / legs at horizontal) 0.1 ^
side straddle jump 1/2 + side split jump 1/2
prior to front handspring
  • (adjustment / unnecessary movement) 0.1
front handspring
  • (bent knee) 0.1
front tuck
  • (medium balance adjustment) 0.3
split leap
double pike
  • (insufficient height) 0.1
  • (deviation from ideal landing posture / chest low) 0.1
  • (step / hop on landing) 0.1
Total - 1.8

Artistry
  • (Insufficient complexity or creativity in the movements) 0.1
  • (Insufficient variation in rhythm and tempo) 0.1
Total E - 8.0 - 8.2 / (-1.8 - 2.0)

Concorde, I promise you Guan Chenchen hits split. It’s just a poor quality video

Above all, I’m thrilled for Zhang Jin and Lu Yufei.

This is a risky team, but a smart one, IMO. Ou and Guan can both challenge for beam gold. I don’t see Ou as a potential AA medalist, but Lu and Tang could be.

I love GCC and I know they said they wanted to use a +1 for a beam focus, but I am still a bit confused as to why they are not bringing WXY in some capacity. I’d think China would like a run at a second UB medal considering Lee does not reliably connect her set and GBR left Becky off.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back