2021 Tokyo Olympics vs. COVID-19

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Well that is quite random. Rates are low in Australia and high in Japan. Surely they are more likely to catch it in Japan and take it home rather than bring it in.

Yesterday they decided to allow domestic spectators (50% capacity, 10000 maximum). Officials reserve the right to go back on this if the infection rates soar nearer the time.

I wonder if they’ll cancel the gala. If you want to minimise risk then surely it’s a no-brainer to eliminate a display?

Like IOC/NBC care about minimizing risk.

Gymnastics is the number one rated sport at the Summer Games.

Simone Biles is a household name all over the world.

They aren’t going to cancel an event that will get high TV ratings.

True, if they were minimising risk then they wouldn’t be having domestic spectators…all the way to not having the games.

I have no idea if people actually watch the gala. The Atlanta edition was magnificent but those since haven’t been great. This one could be an amazing celebration and goodbye for Uchimura.

I would say that major fans might be less likely to watch the gala. But the 4 year fans/new viewers are more likely to watch the gala since it is exhibitions with no rules to be understood, IMO.

It is beginning to look like the Delta variant is a hellstorm brewing.

Something like 90% of new cases in the UK are delta variant, I read somewhere.
It’s definitely not looking good for places with low vaccine rates.

Something like 90% of new cases in the UK are delta variant, I read somewhere.
It’s definitely not looking good for places with low vaccine rates.
Its spreading fast even in places with high vaccine rates, like Israel. Its very worrying. There should be NO spectators in Tokyo.

This may have been previously discussed (and I didn’t believe it could be the final Covid protocol and promptly forgot), but Li Li seems to be saying that if, for example, Jade has Covid exposure Simone’s Olympics are over even if Simone is vaccinated and does not test positive.

Is that really the confirmed and final COVID protocol for the Olympics?

Yes. Even if you are vaccinated then you can still catch Covid.

A colleague got vaccinated and two months after her second dose she caught it from one of her students. She had no symptoms but she did go get tested (though not required) and was positive. The paraprofessional in her classroom, also vaccinated, tested negative but had to quarantine anyway.

Hopefully all 18 athletes have gotten vaccinated as a precaution.

Hmm.

It just seems unnecessary to disqualify the whole team (or replace the whole team) when one team member tests positive or just has COVID exposure (and tests negative). Especially if the other athletes are fully vaccinated and test negative.

Last edited:
I agree. Disqualifying the whole team is quite heavy-handed IF they are vaccinated.

Have all these athletes been vaccinated? I don’t think I have seen that.

Hmm.

It just seems unnecessary to disqualify the whole team (or replace the whole team) when one team member tests positive or just has COVID exposure (and tests negative). Especially if the other athletes are fully vaccinated and test negative.
I totally agree. And I am almost extreme when it comes to covid related precautions. But this is just not reasonable or necessary. Plus its just going to sabotage the Olympics I think. Test everyone as they arrive in Tokyo. Enforce strict mask wearing, social distancing to the extent possible given the games. Test every day. If one person is positive isolate them right away and test everyone they have been exposed to. And NO SPECTATORS.

I don’t see a problem with limited spectators. They are generally so far away from athletes AND in enormous spaces with lots of air moving through systems OR outdoors.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back