2021 Tokyo Olympics vs. COVID-19

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I know exactly what you mean. I have said many times to people that this virus is truly evil. The way it seeks out your weakness and whichever organ or organ system that weakness resides in that is where it attacks you. Maybe Rafiki can try to explain the molecular mechanism of a virus which can sense your physiological weakness and attack there?? Personally I am fine. I have had one of those incredibly ahppy, lucky, good lives and if i have to deal with a little adversity its not the end of the world. But I am worried for us as a country, for the entire global community. I think we are all a little traumatized and I do not think the rush to declare the pandemic was over was helpful. The WHO just adopted a “wear a mask and social distance even if you are vaccinated” guidance and for the life of me I do not know and never will know why the CDC is persisting in going the other way. It is not helpful. Hang in there though Kittentoes. We will get through this damned thing. I think we just need to get a booster that will deal with the variants and then we will see the beginning of the real end. But we are not there yet

It sounds like you may have gotten Type 1 diabetes, which can be a post viral and is not related to weight/health. Although it is usually diagnosed in childhood it can sometimes occur in adults. It is obviously scary regardless, but being fit and healthy does nothing to prevent T1D.

I’m so sorry you both are dealing with the long haul symptoms. I’d hug you if I could.

I’m at Disney right now and their policies are head-scratching. They did away with masks (except on busses) and social distancing altogether, and are at about 50% capacity. HOWEVER, only about 50% of their exhibits/shows are open, so aren’t they technically running at 100% capacity of what is open? In some lines they even ask you to be “shoulder to shoulder” in order to make room for more people.

It makes the Olympics’ precautions seem significant and safe by comparison.

There aren’t a lot of masks at Trials. Less than half.

I’m so sorry you both are dealing with the long haul symptoms. I’d hug you if I could.
thank you so much. That is very kind. As I said though frankly, if this is the worst of it for me its ok. My fear was i would develop headaches or brain fog or other things that would interfere with my ability to work. That would have been a disaster for me and for my family. But I didn’t. I will be fine.

It sounds like you may have gotten Type 1 diabetes, which can be a post viral and is not related to weight/health. Although it is usually diagnosed in childhood it can sometimes occur in adults. It is obviously scary regardless, but being fit and healthy does nothing to prevent T1D.
All true. With covid it seems it can trigger either type I or II depending. But some doctors think its a different kind of covid specific diabetes. In my case there is Type I in my family history. So its not all that surprising because as i said this virus finds whatever your weakness is and goes for it. But my hope is like with some other long haul symptoms it eventually goes away. we shall see. It is far from the worst thing that I could have ended up with and I feel perfectly fine. Apart from weight loss I had not noticed anything. My doctor discvoered it after she did a blood test in a post covid checkup

Spectators will no longer be allowed at most events. Fanfreakingtastic.

It’s going to be very strange watching the Opening Ceremonies and the competitions with no live spectators.

I mean, they should just pre-film the opening ceremony pagentry, do away with the march into the stadium (maybe except for a flag bearer), but just spend the time showing the beauty/history of Japan. get the peeps interest in being tourists in the future. And hell, start a new trend to smaller opening ceremonies because it has kinda gotten to be a bit of a slog in past years as everyone tries to outdo Beijing.

I had assumed that they would do more of a virtual opening and closing ceremony.

I am unsure what the plans are for athletes, even if they are from the same NOC, I was under the assumption that Olympians from separate sports would not be able to mingle. I assumed each sport had their own “bubble”.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back