Worlds 2021 US Selection Camp (October 8-11)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I kind of think for her mental health Simone might be better off not competing she’s accomplished pretty much everything getting another eponymous vault isn’t worth the risk/pressure.

I mean, it’s what I’ve been saying ever since she pulled out of the AA final. I can’t see her getting back into “YDP on a hard surface” kind of shape unless she goes to Paris.

And if she does, I doubt she will be at any World Cup for the next 2 years.

Hmm, I’m not sure it’s that all or nothing. I mean, I agree she can’t casually pop into a competition and throw it, but I’m not sure she needs to make another full on Olympic bid. It depends where her motivation is - whether she wants a more positive Olympic experience or just wants to tie up any unfinished business like the YDP. The latter could be done at a number of different competitions, BUT (I assume) she will need to be training full time for the YDP to happen.

Well, I suppose you know Simone best. 🤷‍♀️
I don’t have to “know Simone best” to appreciate how difficult it would be to get back into “landing a YDP onto hard” shape again.

And that’s she’s only ever going to get back into that kind of shape if she makes another Olympic run.

:man_shrugging:t2:

Last edited:
Is it true leanne wong is trying out for worlds. It was on reddit. When are worlds trial out?

Leanna Wong is at Florida. Highly doubt she is going for Worlds, but then again Suni is doing DWTS and Chiles, McCusker, Hurd, Carey are all doing Simone’s Tour, so it might be possible.
Just doesn’t make sense for her to have left GAGE to be on campus.

World Trials are October 8-11.

The rumor’s pasted below. Luann isn’t a bad insurance policy for a decimated, post-Olympics Worlds, and of course we aren’t done with the Fongs for the year. Why would we be?

Ellie Black’s doing the tour, so Worlds is really going to be the Andrade, Gelya, and Murakami show. I like McClain, but I’ll believe she’s hanging with that crowd once she does it. I’m not sure how much Valeri can accomplish in 4 months.

I can’t imagine RUS would actually run an FTY in AA finals, so I’m hoping Minaeva is a placeholder for Urazova or something.

Who is training Wong then if she is in Florida. I don’t believe that coaches are allowed to train the gymnasts at this point and any training is on their own and/or just team conditioning.
Unless those rules have changed.

I always thought the rule was that if an athlete wished to do extra training of their own volition, coaches were able to be there to assist them for safety reasons.

Who did Trinity train elite with while at Florida? Did she just go back to her home club gym in the NCAA off season?

Last edited:
Who is training Wong then if she is in Florida. I don’t believe that coaches are allowed to train the gymnasts at this point and any training is on their own and/or just team conditioning.
Unless those rules have changed.
If she’s training elite and she’s in Gainesville, she’s preparing with Jenny and Owen. If she’s training elite and left, she’s back at GAGE. I’m not clear on where she is right now.

You can set up a separate elite regimen and hire the coaches and facilities outside of the 20-hour training cap, etc. It’s a pain on the NCAA compliance end, but that’s how you get Bhardwaj and Zamarripa listed as UCLA at elite meets, ditto for Trinity and Florida.

Last edited:
I know they can compete elite and state they are from their NCAA team as MAG does that al the time.
There used to be a rule about coaching before season began but that was 20 + years ago so who knows if it was changed.
In the fall, as captain I had to run the conditioning sessions because coaches were not able to. We also were not able to get into a swimming pool to actually train because we couldn’t find an certified adult that was not on our coaching staff.

I know they can compete elite and state they are from their NCAA team as MAG does that al the time.
There used to be a rule about coaching before season began but that was 20 + years ago so who knows if it was changed.
In the fall, as captain I had to run the conditioning sessions because coaches were not able to. We also were not able to get into a swimming pool to actually train because we couldn’t find an certified adult that was not on our coaching staff.
That’s the purpose of the elite separation and staying accountable with it. If coaching restrictions still exist, which I’m doubtful of given all the upgrade and intrasquad clips that are always getting posted, they wouldn’t apply to Wong’s Worlds preparation anyway because that’s not NCAA.

Trinity went to Championships and camps throughout the year with Florida’s coaches, so I’m sure Wong is fine. This is all assuming she is preparing at Florida anyway. As dumb as the Fongs are, I’d be shocked if Wong opted to make a Worlds bid with brand-new coaches whose in-person rapport with her is literally weeks old.

Gymnastics allows coaches to be present for offseason workouts for spotting, as I recall. The coaches aren’t allowed to run mandatory practices but the NCAA does not go so far as to tell the gymnasts that they’re just not allowed to have a spot unless it’s official preseason.

Elite athletes in all sports with international ambitions are allowed to have additional practices with the coaching staff provided they can demonstrate that they are actually at that level. A NT member like Leanne or Trinity would have no issue with that. Swimming and track athletes seem to do this quite regularly, given the number of school affiliations we see at their big meets.

So if Leanne is indeed trying for Worlds I guess her and DiCello are the frontrunners for the two US AA spots?

They would have to be. I don’t think anyone else has shown that level who is going to be at camp.

Reactions: L_R

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back