Will he never go away (nassar trigger warning)

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

I never said Manly was in his right mind. 😜

But rethinking it from a strategic – as opposed to a legal – perspective – it might work. The FBI is under SO much political pressure right now they likely will do anything to avoid to trial – even one they would win – that would bring more negative publicity.

So this may well settle before a lawsuit gets filed. Or very soon thereafter

Is this something that would be more likely to bring a lot of high visibility negative publicity to the situation than actual succeed in court?
Exactly. Guys like Manly think more like that than what has actual legal merit. Its called a hold up.

Class is, indeed, closed 😉
Well, they have not been sued yet.

We will see what happens. I do not think there will be a lawsuit.

But I do admit, I did not forsee this happening. And in retrospect, from Manly’s perspective it was a smart move. Unethical, but probably smart.

Last edited:
Part of getting to the truth is making an embarrassment out of all of them.
Except its not about getting to the truth. Manly could care less about getting to the truth. He is shaking them down, For him its about money and publicity which will bring more money. As a lawyer I find plaintiffs’ lawyers who threaten nonmeritorious lawsuits because they know that they can strongarm the other side into a settlement to avoid embarrassment reprehensible. In addition to the sovereign immunity issue the Supreme Court has held that law enforcement agencies have no duty of care to protect individual citizens. Manly is no saint and he is no truth seeker. And he does not care about the law. Which offends me beyond belief.

Last edited:
My take - If in the future the FBI take sexual abuse claims more seriously, then it’s the right thing to do
I totally understand how a non lawyer would feel this way. But allowing failure to investigate and/or failure to prosecute cases to go forward is nothing but a recipe for endless litigation which would ultimately bankrupt law enforcement and basically paralyze them. Thats why there is sovereign immunity and SCOTUS rulings holding that law enforcement agencies have no duty of care (a necessary element of this type of civil lawsuit) to private individuals. (civil rights cases where state or local law enforcement affirmatively misbehave is a totally other story and of course you can sue under those circumstances). From a policy perspective its just untenable. And Manly of course knows this. Which creates a serious ethical issue – lawyers are not allowed to bring cases they know have no basis in law.

Last edited:
And interestingly on the same day that Manly’s latest “legal” action was announced to the public the SCOTUS issued a ruling virtually eliminating Fourth Amendment Excessive Force claims against federal agents (1983 civil rights claims are also limited only to state or local level officials) . The WSJ, while not commenting upon the merits of Manly’s case, ran the news article about that on the same page as the article about Manly’s administrative claims against the FBI under the Federal Tort Claims act.

Hearing it right now on the morning radio show. I’m not surprised it happened. His ilk tend to not fare very well in prison. He’ll likely be permanently separated from other inmates from this point forward.

Yes. This one gives details. Nassar, 59, was stabbed twice in the neck, twice in the back and six times in the chest, and also suffered a collapsed lung in the Sunday attack, said Joe Rojas, president of Local 506, which represents employees at the Federal Correctional Complex Coleman in Central Florida.

Hearing it right now on the morning radio show. I’m not surprised it happened. His ilk tend to not fare very well in prison. He’ll likely be permanently separated from other inmates from this point forward.
There are federal prisons where sex offenders are generally safe. Coleman II is high security though and while it does tend to be safer than other high security prisons, its still not safe for sex offenders. And prison is a whole culture. Nassar was not the kind of guy who would be able to survive easily there even if he were not a sex offender. He was at Tucson before which is a SOMP prison where sex offenders are typically safe. But he was attacked there too. I just do not think there is any way of keeping this guy safe in prison unless they put him in minimum or low security which, given the nature of his offense and the length of his sentence, is not going to happen. The combination of his sex offender status, very high profile of the case in the news and frankly his wimpy personality combine to make him a big target.

Last edited:
stabbed twice in the neck, twice in the back and six times in the chest, and also suffered a collapsed lung in the Sunday attack,
Damn.
I’m surprised he is still alive at this point, though reports said critical condition.

Solitary confinement is considered cruel and unusual punishment in most places but it might be the only way to keep him alive.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back