TRIGGER WARNING - F/up On Abuse By Geddert

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

@RedBirdie I agree with everything you say. Also, I am not sure this was a big public event. I mean these funeral homes post the obituaries on their websites. Its just kind of normal operating procedure. I can not imagine what his family is going through and to me it is just not the issue.

Last edited:
Sorry if I misunderstood. I thought I had understood that it was being held as a big public event.

I fully understand and appreciate the point you bring. Yes, we do tend to idealize certain persons, and to imagine them as better than they are. Yes, we tend to be in denial about their flaws. Even taking that into consideration, however, if I were them I would have still opted for the quiet, private memorial. Some things are better if they are discreet, nondescript, and low key, and not overdone.

José M.

I’d say that was plausible…except that they were holding the visitation and funeral at The Summit (the sports facility that housed Twistars). IMO that indicates that they were wanting/expecting to have a very large turn out

You’re right. I totally missed that. Still . . . .it’s his family. Their husband, father and grandfather just killed himself. Everyone just needs to leave them be to deal with it. I would hope though that not a lot of people beyond their family and close friends showed up.

not disagreeing about leaving them to grieve…just pointing out that the family clearly wanted/expected to have a large crowd for the funeral. I did search their local news to see if there were any protestors or any commotion…for what it’s worth, I couldn’t find anything to indicate that there was

I wonder if Bridget Sloan has or will reach out to Jordyn, considering she dealt with the same exact situation of her coach being a monster who committed suicide.

I’m totally late to the scene and finally getting around to Rachael Denhollander’s book. It’s very well-written. With all this going on with Geddert in the recent weeks, I very much noticed how quickly she talked about him in her book and described the harsh and inhumane treatment of his gymnasts, pretty much from chapter 2, before she even starts talking about Nassar. I wonder if her advocacy has helped to acknowledge Geddert’s behavior as “human trafficking”, where children as used in a pawn-like manner as a means to financial gain, fame, and status. They were devoid of choices in places they very much should have had a voice.
Anyway, just connecting dots here. I’m grateful for the massive amount of hard work Rachael has put in trying to change the culture of gymnastics and give value back to the voices of the gymnasts. I wonder if/how Rachael’s voice played a part in the type of charges brought against Geddert.

Speaking of Rachael Denhollander, I was reading up on reports coming out about Ravi Zacharias, a renowned Christian apologist in the spotlight recently after accusations against him of sexual misconduct have been confirmed after his death… and Rachael was named as a consultant to help the organization and family deal with the fallout. I was quite surprised!

She’s been very involved in calling out sexual abuse within the church, so I’m not totally surprised, but I’m glad to hear it!

After release of the law firm’s report, RZIM’s board said it was hiring a consulting firm, Guidepost Solutions, to conduct an independent assessment of the organization. It also hired lawyer Rachael Denhollander a prominent advocate for survivors of sexual abuse, to serve as a confidential liaison with survivors of abuse related to RZIM.
Source

I was aware she worked with the Southern Baptist Convention to create sexual assault policies. I have not heard about this.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back