What forum members attended Nationals/will attend trials?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I was at Nationals with my husband and sons family. I noticed several familiar faces (maybe from GGMB, Chalky and some of the guys that are probably now in their 40’s) however my memory does not work the way it once did. Was wondering who all was in attendance and if anyone will be at trials.

My husband and I would meet up with people back when gym world was around (we did a lot of the European meets from the late 90’s to about 2015). At the time we were in our 40’s and most of the fans we met were in their 20’s or even teens. I often wonder about them. On one occasion we ended up with the Spanish men’s national team at some sort of rave where clothing was optional.

I have attended most Euros from 2008 to 2019. 2009, 2015 worlds. 2012 Olympics. And have manage to avoid bumping into anyone 😂

I have never attended a US meet and I’d really like to, but I avoid spending much time in the US (I don’t eat the food).

I have attended most Euros from 2008 to 2019. 2009, 2015 worlds. 2012 Olympics. And have manage to avoid bumping into anyone 😂

I have never attended a US meet and I’d really like to, but I avoid spending much time in the US (I don’t eat the food).

most of the food should be avoided.

On one occasion we ended up with the Spanish men’s national team at some sort of rave where clothing was optional.

I vote for this to have its own separate thread!

Embeth Davidtz Reaction GIF

Minneapolis has some great food. Besides some really excellent American and French in the Cities, I highly recommend seeking out Somali, Vietnamese, and Afghan. Minnesota is famous for the Juicy Lucy burger. Supper Clubs are A Thing, and you can find some interesting modern takes on traditional Scandinavian.

If you're looking for a reliable source on Twin Cities dining, Eater TC is a good place: https://twincities.eater.com/

Pizza Luce is my go-to for pizza, they have multiple locations.

Twin Cities also has a banging brewery scene. If you care about the history of beer in the US, you need to visit Waldmann Brewing. They also have good German food.

For people going to trials, how are the lodging costs in Minneapolis? It's hard for me to justify attending most domestic competitions. I can tolerate high prices. But many host cities have high lodging, food or transportation costs. Minneapolis seems cheaper to visit though.

For people going to trials, how are the lodging costs in Minneapolis? It's hard for me to justify attending most domestic competitions. I can tolerate high prices. But many host cities have high lodging, food or transportation costs. Minneapolis seems cheaper to visit though.
I thought the hotel cost was insane (and the fees added up to almost another night). But, I decided, what the hell, it was cheaper than going to the Olympics. Transportation, I am hoping that light rail system they have is good cuz I am counting on it to get from the airport to the hotel and then be hoofing it the rest of the time. Fights in were also not cheap. And my flight out to Chicago to visit family cost almost double my flight from richmond to msp and I am pretty sure the plane barely makes it to cruising altitude before it is time to land.

MSP tends to be a pricy airport because Delta has a strangle hold on most flight routes. Sometimes I find cheap flights in February because, well, who wants to go to Minnesota in February? (Me, but I'm crazy)

If you're looking to get cultured, there are some nice art museums. The Minneapolis Institute of Art is the big one. Not sure if the Twins are home during Trials, but Target Field is a beautiful place to watch baseball, and the Twins are actually good this year.

most of the food should be avoided.
Hmm… I lived in London and several states in the US - Minnesota, North Carolina, California, Washington - and don’t find the food to be much different, though can take some effort to sneak out variety in the more rural areas.

I was at Nationals with my husband and sons family. I noticed several familiar faces (maybe from GGMB, Chalky and some of the guys that are probably now in their 40’s) however my memory does not work the way it once did.
Oh goodness! Were Abomb and Heff there with Chalky? Haven’t seen old school GGMB regulars in person since 2003 Worlds Anaheim.

Hmm… I lived in London and several states in the US - Minnesota, North Carolina, California, Washington - and don’t find the food to be much different, though can take some effort to sneak out variety in the more rural areas.

I also found restaurant cuisine in London to be similar to America's. Though British restaurants have more straightforward pricing. Auxiliary fees like kitchen appreciation fees are becoming too common. Anyone visiting Minneapolis from abroad should look at a menu's fine print before dining at a restaurant.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back