What forum members attended Nationals/will attend trials?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Chalkbucket serves a specific niche, and we serve a different specific niche.
Chalkbucket! I haven't thought of that in years and it seems neither has anyone else since the last post was 2020 lol
1717893649606.png

Smashbucket or Chalkbucket?

Smashbucket was owned and run by Craig. He passed away.

Chalkbucket is still active!

There’s another post somewhere on here called “history of the gymnternet” and there’s a lot of stories from the oldies like Gymworld and GGMB. Memories! Not all of them good! 🤣

ETA: here it is! https://gymnaverse.com/threads/history-of-the-gymternet.635/

I haven’t gone to a meet in quite awhile, but I enjoy meeting up with my gym forum friends when I do. I remember going to 2006 nationals in St Paul and sitting with the loud GGMB crew and putting lots of faces to people’s handles. I got a piece of hair yarn from Miki, which i still have.

I’ll start off with I’m so old 🤣
We are going to trials, which over the last 3 Olympics has been the one event that I drop a lot of money on. I think the hotel is around $300 a night. We are hoping to try the Native restaurant as well.
I miss the IG Tours that were reasonable priced (2001-2006). 2004 Euros was fun and met some really nice people from Gymworld, but wow! That was 20 years ago. I miss that site, but understand it had its place in time for me, it would not be the same. I do remember spending time with Abomb & Heff at the 2005 American Cup due to us pretty much being snowed in.

Minneapolis has some great food. Besides some really excellent American and French in the Cities, I highly recommend seeking out Somali, Vietnamese, and Afghan. Minnesota is famous for the Juicy Lucy burger. Supper Clubs are A Thing, and you can find some interesting modern takes on traditional Scandinavian.

If you're looking for a reliable source on Twin Cities dining, Eater TC is a good place: https://twincities.eater.com/

Pizza Luce is my go-to for pizza, they have multiple locations.

Twin Cities also has a banging brewery scene. If you care about the history of beer in the US, you need to visit Waldmann Brewing. They also have good German food.

My favorites…

IMG_1987.jpeg

IMG_2954.jpeg

IMG_2946.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2938.jpeg
    IMG_2938.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Do we want to make a lunch event for those who want to gather before one of the evening sessions?

(I joined wwgym when TelevisionWithoutPity killed their gymnastics forum. The kind people there recommended it as a place where people were interested and knowlegeable but not going to jump down your throat if you didn't know the difference between a Maloney and a Van Leeuwen. Figure Skating had been my sport but my interest was fading)

Do we want to make a lunch event for those who want to gather before one of the evening sessions?

(I joined wwgym when TelevisionWithoutPity killed their gymnastics forum. The kind people there recommended it as a place where people were interested and knowlegeable but not going to jump down your throat if you didn't know the difference between a Maloney and a Van Leeuwen. Figure Skating had been my sport but my interest was fading)
Oh wow, I really miss TWoP!

I’d like that. We just need to find a place to meetup. There are a few casual bars and restaurants on the map near the Target Center.

Cowboy Jack’s
Kieran’s Irish Pub
Fogo de Chao (Brazilian steakhouse)
The Saloon ( LGBTQ space)
Union Rooftop
The Loon Cafe gastropub
Pizza Luce

We could set some early dinner plans for before the competition after we check things out.

I thought the hotel cost was insane (and the fees added up to almost another night). But, I decided, what the hell, it was cheaper than going to the Olympics. Transportation, I am hoping that light rail system they have is good cuz I am counting on it to get from the airport to the hotel and then be hoofing it the rest of the time. Fights in were also not cheap. And my flight out to Chicago to visit family cost almost double my flight from richmond to msp and I am pretty sure the plane barely makes it to cruising altitude before it is time to land.
There’s great information about the light rail system on the metrotransit.org website. Sounds like it’s easy to find it in the airport, easy to use and cheap. I think I’ll skip the car since it looks easy enough to use the transit.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back