US WAG world team trials

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I really disagree. It was wildly overscored. It was, of course, the best beam of the day. But it didn’t deserve a 14. Let alone a 14.55
I am not talking about the score bro, talking about the performance.
If it gets a 6.0 credit at Worlds, Skye will be in contention.

Last edited:
They look almost 2 points behind China on Bars to me (assuming equal performance).
Yeah, but China appears to have put all their eggs in the bars and beam basket. Their VT and FX are…lacking. Their best scores put them almost 4 points behind the USA on VT alone. The 2 scores the US wouldn’t use are still better than any of the Chinese scores. And on UB, Jones is close to the Chinese scores and the next two best aren’t 12s at least. Yeah, they’d be behind China but they are ahead of everyone else except Italy so… you can’t say they are weak on it. Just that China is exceptionally strong on it. 🙂

Their best scores put them almost 4 points behind the USA on VT alone.
Not true at all. They have a 5.2 + 5.0 + 5.0 start value lineup on vault (Zhang Jin, Ou Yushan, Tang Xijing) and can get high 8’s on execution score. Not saying they are super likely to all do a peak vault, but if they do, their loss on vault looks to be lower than USA’s loss on Bars.

Reactions: LMB
Oh those are averages that Spencer was using, not bests. So on their average day, they are 3.7 behind the average day for the US squad.

Yep! It was as we all thought. It wasn’t really a selection in the end. The only decision to make was the alternate and they went with Zeiss over Fatta, as we suspected.

Last edited:
I really disagree. It was wildly overscored. It was, of course, the best beam of the day. But it didn’t deserve a 14. Let alone a 14.55
Damn, why you going to so hard? Our E score was a 7.95, her D was 6.0 so she WOULD deserve a 14 if she got one.

Triple wolf (E)
Back 1/1 (F)
FHS (B) Front tuck (D) .2
Switch leap (C) Switch 1/2 (D) .1
Front aerial (D) Split jump (B) .1
Aerial (D)
RO (B) Double tuck (D)

CR 2.0
CV 0.4 - 2.4
DMT 0.2 - 2.6
1F 0.6 - 3.2
1E 0.5 - 3.7
5D 2.0 - 5.7
1C 0.3 - 6.0

Last edited:
Playing with scores, I think my order would be:

Vault: (Wong), Chiles, Jones, Carey
Bars: (Wong), Blakely, Chiles, Jones
Beam: (Jones), Wong, Chiles, Blakely
Floor: (Wong), Jones, Carey, Chiles

I think Wong’s chance at two vaults plus experience warrants putting her in there. She was only a half tenth behind Blakely. Carey has been the weakest of the team on bars. Beam is hard, as is floor, and my order is based on two things. First, it assumes that Wong will benefit greatly from her additional week of prep and that her mistakes night one were uncharacteristic. Second, Wong is the reigning world AA silver medalist and the top returning scorer with Russia out, and she did win Classics, so I think putting her in AA if she looks ready/good is a good choice. Carey only averaged 0.25 more than Wong on beam despite the good night one score.
I think the difficulty with Leanne is more about whether her ankles are going to hold up. If she does look healthy enough to do multiple AA rounds then that solves a few questions at once, I agree. Working on the assumption that the US will want three strong AAers in prelims in case of shenanigans, and because the silver and bronze behind Andrade are very much up for grabs,

Tbh it feels like people wanting Leanne to do AA are basing it on how much they like her. She hasn’t shown that she’s ready on FX at all. She’s messed up both floor routines she’s shown this year and she’s obviously still injured. Her beam dismount is a clear sign of that. It’s never looked this bad, even when she fell.

And she’s also with GAGE and Florida. She was never gonna look fully prepared after injuring herself. Details are not a strength of Florida and GAGE is just bad decisions all the time.

I don’t see the appeal of Leanne Wong beyond as with GAGE generally, her gymnastics is inoffensive. I don’t think it’s clear at this point who the US 2nd AAer will be and it might not be until after prelims and that’s not to say that Shilese doesn’t make a couple of errors and find herself 3rd.

Damn, why you going to so hard? Our E score was a 7.95, her D was 6.0 so she WOULD deserve a 14 if she got one.
Sorry, I’ll clarify, she didn’t deserve the score she got. But she’s obviously their best beamer and must go on beam in prelims. That makes the line ups difficult for Wong and perhaps even Jade, as it would be difficult to not let Shi and Jordan do AA in prelims.

I’m just annoyed at USAG for throwing out high 8s for that routine. Cheryl at the very least should know better. She was literally on the Olympic Panel last year where even the top Chinese routines barely got an 8.0.

Last edited:
Not true at all. They have a 5.2 + 5.0 + 5.0 start value lineup on vault (Zhang Jin, Ou Yushan, Tang Xijing) and can get high 8’s on execution score. Not saying they are super likely to all do a peak vault, but if they do, their loss on vault looks to be lower than USA’s loss on Bars.
What 5.0+5.0 vaults are you talking about? DTYs?
OY and TX have been doing fulls all year.
If China is showing up with 5.2+5.0+5.0 then USA is showing up with 5.6+5.6+5.8 🤣 🤣 🤣

Yeah, but China appears to have put all their eggs in the bars and beam basket. Their VT and FX are…lacking.
China is in rough shape on floor exercise at the moment. That is where I see the US gaining ground, especially if they are rotating in the same group. Though I think Brazil might get 2nd in qualifying, pushing China to 3rd.

The plan is for OYS to do DTY. Watch the vid

TXJ’s looks less ready

sorry to derail. Anyway… regarding the US team. Despite nobody being at their peak, this is a real favorite squad of mine! I love Jones and Chiles so much and Wong, Carey, Blakely are rad too. Woohoo for Zeiss!

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back