US WAG world team trials

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Is it just me or do Ou’s whips look like layouts? Reminds me of Grishina’s “whip” and we all know how that ended…

They are very stretched but with the super springy floors we have today, it works well. Helps to do such long whips in prep for a high twisting layout.

Yurchenko’s whip on floor in her middle pass was especially long and high for the time

I did a D Score analysis of the top five girls on floor:

Jordan

This was pretty simple. She downgraded the always short Gogean to a Split Full, and it looks good. The Lop 1/1 full was around. 5.8 (USAG agreed).

Leanne

I downgraded the Double L but I gave the L Hop 1/1 (which was borderline for me, but benefit to gymnast). USAG Agreed; 5.6.

Jade

I downgraded the L Hop 1/1 (USAG agreed) but I gave the Switch Full. USAG downgraded it to Switch Half. I had 5.8, USAG 5.7.

Shilese

I gave her Double L and her L Hop 1/1. It was difficult to see the completion of the Split 1/1 from the angle of the video. I initially gave it (which would give a 5.8). USAG gave her a 5.7, so they either downgraded the Split 1/1 to a Split 1/2 (B) or the downgraded the L Hop 1/1. Personally, I think the Split 1/1 was more borderline than the L Hop 1/1.

Skye

I downgraded her Gogean, but credited everything else (5.7). USAG gave her a 5.6, which makes me think they downgraded the Switch Ring. This was pretty harsh, if they did, because it looked at head height to me. They may have had a better view from the side though.

L Hop 1/1 Analysis

Four of the top 5 are going for L Hop Fulls. I can see this being one area in Liverpool that they start getting dinged on. It’s a relatively easy “C”, and I can see the WTC being really harsh on saying "you must complete a full revolution in L shape, not just a full turn hitting an L shape for part/most of the turn. IMO, only Jordan really shows the hop with a full revolution in L.

Jade’s is absolutely short, and her team should have learned this from Tokyo where it did get downgraded in one of the earlier rounds, and she cleaned it up for EF.

Some gifs:

Last edited:
All Uneven Bars Performance ✨ 2022 U.S. Women’s World Team Selection Camp Day 2

Last edited:
The mat certainly crunches below her but I’m hopeful what a month could do for her. I agree it does not look ready…we’ll see where she’s at soon

Last edited:
Is the second one Leanne? Hers looks short, like her leg only gets 3/4 around the circle before she drops it, but I’m struggling to see how Jade’s is obviously short. Her take off foot starts and ends up in pretty much the same direction. Is it because she doesn’t hold the leg up through the whole landing?

Is the second one Leanne?
Yes
but I’m struggling to see how Jade’s is obviously short. Her take off foot starts and ends up in pretty much the same direction. Is it because she doesn’t hold the leg up through the whole landing?
Yes, she doesn’t maintain the L shape through the whole of the turn. Her leg drops below horizontal midway.

Last edited:
The mat certainly crunches below her but I’m hopeful what a month could do for her. I agree it does not look ready…we’ll see where she’s at soon
I understand and respect your feelings on the matter, but I PERSONALLY am not doing this again with Miss Ou. She’s not gonna have my nerves shot THIS time. I’m choosing me and preserving myself.

OY and TX should stick to FTY. Those DTY attempts are scary and I am afraid one of them are going to injury themselves like Mao Yi.
The execution deductions alone on the DTY would drop it way below that of a clean FTY, IMO.

But neither of those vaults are good for competition, no way, no how.

Interesting that the nominative roster ended up being the same, except for McClain in place of Leanne…

I guess this was her shot. But she’s still presumably the non-travelling alternate, right?

Are there any crazy food juniors coming up next year or the year after?

I guess this was her shot. But she’s still presumably the non-travelling alternate, right?

Are there any crazy food juniors coming up next year or the year after?
She will be headed to Oklahoma so I imagine that she return back to level 10 to finish her career before college.

I haven’t seen USAG press mention anything about “non traveling alternate”, just folks in this thread. Is this denomination definitely a thing this time around?

Weighing in on team line-ups: I have to admit that the simplest solution is to let Chiles/Jones/Blakely compete AA and slot Leanne and Jade as the classic complementary couple (UB/BB vs. VT/FX, respectively).

I really was hoping Leanne could earn herself a go at the AA, and I especially applaud her for throwing her hat into the ring for vault finals – but ultimately having 3 AA contenders is more significant than 3 vault contenders. And agree with whoever commented that despite whatever pain Leanne is suppressing to do her crazy hard tumbling lines, that newly wonky beam dismount might be evidence that her ankle is still messed up. Her rebound out of the round-off is significantly diminished.

I’m sad that she seems to have gradually regressed from this height of beam prowess circa 2019:

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back