Suni Lee's vault night 2 of 2024 US Nationals

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Orlando Metro at that time was full on Crazy Town. I think Jeff watched a few too many of those bad 1990s fluff piece that fed the whole coach cult of personality bullshit, and view himself in that vein.

He was on ggmb back in the day. He posted meal reports from camp iirc.

I thought it was 25.

I've heard 35-40 hours a week for gymnasts over the years, but 45 hours a week just seems like a lot.
Yeah, Shawn was 25 hours a week, then she went up to the standard 35 and two-a-days during the Olympic selection/training process.

I remember a lot of discussion about how much her 25 hours was assisted by her being the only elite at Chows (at the time) and so not having to wait on turns, etc. And also how much her lack of flexibility could be owed to some details like that being cut out with the reduced time.

I also recall that none of Chows later elites were only doing 25 hours a week.

I'd be interested to know how many hours a week some of the more veteran gymnasts do these days, because they all tend to talk a lot about quality over quantity and getting up there, hitting a set, and being done, instead of doing endless repetition.

I can't speak to now, but I know several gyms in the early 2000s that were one practice a day switched to two-a-day to match the schedule of camps. One coach told me it was because it was tremendously difficult to practice 25-30 hours a week, once per day, and then go be successful at camp, where it was 2 times per day every day for a week at time, every single month.

I wouldn't be that shocked if some gyms went back to a (slightly) lighter schedule, post-Marta.

I can't speak to now, but I know several gyms in the early 2000s that were one practice a day switched to two-a-day to match the schedule of camps. One coach told me it was because it was tremendously difficult to practice 25-30 hours a week, once per day, and then go be successful at camp, where it was 2 times per day every day for a week at time, every single month.

I wouldn't be that shocked if some gyms went back to a (slightly) lighter schedule, post-Marta.
I didn’t realise the US didn’t do split schedule? It’s been very common here since the late 70s because some Soviet sport scientist discovered that it was a more efficient way to train and recover.

I didn’t realise the US didn’t do split schedule? It’s been very common here since the late 70s because some Soviet sport scientist discovered that it was a more efficient way to train and recover.
Depends entirely on the gym. Many gyms do split, but some gyms definitely only did one per day, usually because of school. Often they were gyms that had only 1 or 2 elites, and not established elite programs.

One of the things that came out of COVID in education, was that home schooling can occur while a parent works from home (even though it is challenging) but also there were so many new companies that are online academies that were created following COVID.
Lots of investments are being out in place due to the increasing demand for online schooling.

Screen Shot 2024-06-05 at 6.37.20 PM.png

I was offered a position to be "head of academy" for one company that my friend currently works for.
I declined because I don't want to work from home.

But it works for her because she has three children. One in public school in Kindergarten, but a 3 year old and 2 year old. So she stays at home with them and doesn't have to pay child care. She can flex her schedule around, and when she has to meet with students in a virtual session has someone to come and watch the kids.
I think the demands of in person learning in public schools has become unsustainable for some mothers who are teachers and this is a better option for them.
The rise of online academies has also been a factor in teacher vacancies aka "shortages".

For families, online academies are flexible for them, and students can work at their own pace, it saves a lot of time lost in the public education field, and for some students this is their least restrictive environment.

If you have money you want to invest, I suggest looking into online schools because it is only going to increase in popularity in the future. Especially because online schooling is cheaper than private schools, and so is an affordable option to those not wanting their children in public schools.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back