Suni Lee's vault night 2 of 2024 US Nationals

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I would assume both?
It strongly suggests there will only be one. USAG have a limited allocation of credentials from USOC. It’s why each gymnast only gets 1 coach. If Jordan doesn’t make the team, Simone won’t have both her coaches there. In Tokyo, Cecile was credentialed as Jordan’s coach

It strongly suggests there will only be one. USAG have a limited allocation of credentials from USOC. It’s why each gymnast only gets 1 coach. If Jordan doesn’t make the team, Simone won’t have both her coaches there. In Tokyo, Cecile was credentialed as Jordan’s coach
Though Jordan has a good chance to be traveling alternate. I assume Cecile would get to go in that case? Obviously not on the competition floor but for workouts?

Sacramone has been picking the teams with the selection committee members.

Memmel has gone as the head of delegation for WAG I think. So she would attend Paris I believe.

But Sacramone was pregnant last year as well and limited to travel.

So we shall see, but only one should be going, at least as credentialed.

Though Jordan has a good chance to be traveling alternate. I assume Cecile would get to go in that case? Obviously not on the competition floor but for workouts?
That's what I wanted to ask. Will traveling alternates get their coaches travel with them too?
On the one hand, I would love if both Landis could go, to be there together to watch their daughter diving.
On the other hand, nothing against Jordan, but I don't care to see her felon mother in the stands.
So Jordan the traveling alternate would be a perfect solution if her coach goes too.

No, even the workout halls have extremely limited access, only those with credentials can enter. Alternates are not credentialed, they won't have any access to Olympic facilities.

But the alternates' coaches travel with them and help them train at whatever facility is found for them, don't they? So if one of the WCC athletes is an alternate, Cecile would travel and stay with that athlete, presumably within easy traveling distance of Paris (and have her travel costs for seeing her daughter dive be funded as long as it didn't get in the way of her coaching duties for the alternate)?

But the alternates' coaches travel with them and help them train at whatever facility is found for them, don't they? So if one of the WCC athletes is an alternate, Cecile would travel and stay with that athlete, presumably within easy traveling distance of Paris (and have her travel costs for seeing her daughter dive be funded as long as it didn't get in the way of her coaching duties for the alternate)

In Rio the alternates stayed at one of the USOC's Team USA Houses. It wasn't in Rio, it was over an hour away by bus.

In London I don't think the alternates even stayed in Britain. Weren't they in France?

2008 the alternates were in Japan. But Shayla Worley was in Beijing!

Athens entire USA team was housed outside the village, so probably the alternates stayed with the team then but I really can't remember.

Sydney they were housed outside the village together.

Last edited:
And well, Simone is a pro and at a different point in her life than tokyo, I can't imagine she needs both coaches there all the time. Cecile (if laurant is the chosen coach) can likely find her own way to the Olympics and probably has family/friends who will put her up so she can watch both diving and gymnastics. Hell, she could make a deal with NBC to provide a few interviews/analysis bits like they used to do with Bela after he retired. Either way, I wouldn't worry about who/what coaches are allowed.

Same thing with Alicia vs. Chellsie. If there is any value to the USOC or NBC in having both there, both will be there. Simone and the gymnastics team are likely going to be their marquee sportswomen--the (basically) guaranteed medals. Other than Katie Ledecky and the basketball team, there aren't tons of "big name" veterans for NBC to hype. If they need the cast assembled around Simone to fill their airtime, they'll find a way to do it.

Also, is it required that the athletes stay in the village? Simone is a married woman and while she might want to have the "olympic experience" again, she's also wealthy, a few years older than most of the probable team, and might prefer to sleep on something other than those sex-free beds.

The teams that didn't stay in the village were all upset that they didn't get to stay in the village. It's part of the experience.

They stayed in the village in 1992 when the team was practically 6 toddlers and more than one gymnast wrote in books later that one of the highlights of the Games was meeting the Dream Team in the village.

It's been a while since gymnasts didn't stay in the village. I don't see that changing this year. In fact, I don't think the USOPC will pay for non-village accomodations any more. When the US Men's basketball team stays elsewhere, the players foot the bill, IIRC.

It's been a while since gymnasts didn't stay in the village. I don't see that changing this year. In fact, I don't think the USOPC will pay for non-village accomodations any more. When the US Men's basketball team stays elsewhere, the players foot the bill, IIRC.
Yeah, I wouldn't expect them to pay for hotel rooms but Simone can afford it or her sponsors can. She might want to be in the village; she might not. But she definitely has more options than she did in Rio and Tokyo.

No. Alternates and their coaches don’t get accreditation. They’ll be in a hotel in or near Paris and have some arrangement with a French gymnastics club to use their gym for practice.

And well, Simone is a pro and at a different point in her life than tokyo, I can't imagine she needs both coaches there all the time. Cecile (if laurant is the chosen coach) can likely find her own way to the Olympics and probably has family/friends who will put her up so she can watch both diving and gymnastics. Hell, she could make a deal with NBC to provide a few interviews/analysis bits like they used to do with Bela after he retired. Either way, I wouldn't worry about who/what coaches are allowed.

Same thing with Alicia vs. Chellsie. If there is any value to the USOC or NBC in having both there, both will be there. Simone and the gymnastics team are likely going to be their marquee sportswomen--the (basically) guaranteed medals. Other than Katie Ledecky and the basketball team, there aren't tons of "big name" veterans for NBC to hype. If they need the cast assembled around Simone to fill their airtime, they'll find a way to do it.

Also, is it required that the athletes stay in the village? Simone is a married woman and while she might want to have the "olympic experience" again, she's also wealthy, a few years older than most of the probable team, and might prefer to sleep on something other than those sex-free beds.
The issue isn’t the cost of accommodation (although it’s absolutely crazy in Paris) but the cost of security. In the past, athletes staying outside of the village had to cover their own security costs. Indeed it was the introduction of that post 9/11 that forced USAG to have their athletes in the village from 2004 onwards.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back