Social Media Paris Athletes

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

It probably is cultural with the expectation that women in sport look like they entered the Miss America contest’s
bathing suit competition although some aspects have to be international. Remember the phrase “international look that judges love” being repeated a lot.

It probably is cultural with the expectation that women in sport look like they entered the Miss America contest’s
bathing suit competition although some aspects have to be international. Remember the phrase “international look that judges love” being repeated a lot.
Yes but that’s not about hair and makeup

It’s a part of the expectations about how you are supposed to look.

The “international look” was purely a particular style of gymnastics. A look that gymnasts of a variety of body types, and ethnic heritages have been considered to have. And indeed, many of Martha’s favourites didn’t have it all (Shawn, Aly)”

Okay but every time it was brought up in the media the girl or woman was long and thin.
Yeah, that’s how American media has historically portrayed gymnasts. Because public appetite was for the pretty white girl next door. That’s no longer the case, and that’s why things are different. It was always about what the public engaged with, facilitated by the media, rather than the sport itself.

Also, all elite gymnasts are “thin”!

True. And the media we hear is what influences us.

Listen, people do and say silly things when the adrenalin is flowing. These days it plays out on social media. I don’t mind the Golden Girls having a little fun with this even if it’s a little petty and immature.
Was it adrenaline though?
Because Skinner is quite a peculiar thought to have while celebrating on top of the world.

Fun?

Yes, that's poor. If I were a USAG employee I'd be treading a bit more carefully with an athlete who experienced abuse at the hands of their organisation. Even when said athlete is not a very sympathetic character.
I read this as, we take our cue from Biles, right now. Which is in no one's best interest, not Biles, not other gymnsts, nor expecially the sport itself.

A supporter social media reminded critics of Simone’s hair that the same thing had been done to Gabby. Kind of points out the impossible standard.
I never got the whole "Gabby's hair' fiasco. Her hair always looked fine to me...? Not that she looked like she'd just come from the hair salon, but then again nobody else did either.

Actually, 2012 and 2016 Olympics hair was, to me, scary tight ponytails and the Aly-bun, which was really just a pile of hair. I was more distressed by Jordyn's hair elastic (I think it was a headband actually) wrapped about twenty times around her ponytail than I was by Gabby's hair. Good God, Jordyn's pony gives me a headache just thinking about it.

Yes but that’s not about hair and makeup
Yeah, the International Look was more of a body thing. I don't think it was a skinny vs not thing (or it shouldn't have been) but more of a posture and carriage thing--gymnasts like Pod and McCool (to a lesser extent) had great posture and toepoint but were not stick-thin. Shawn Johnson liked to complain about not having "the look" but nobody stopped her from taking dance classes did they?

As for the hair and makeup, I don't think you need to be dressed up like prom but you should put SOME effort into your appearance at the Olympics. Come on. But when I say "some effort" it's a low enough bar that pretty much anyone can make it. As long as you look don't look like you plan on going clubbing afterwards and your hair is neat, you're fine. I DO find the half-pony thing that Asac rocked back in Beijing to be a great example of too sloppy. Simone wears it sometimes too, and if that means I'm criticizing her hair, then oh well.

Yeah, the International Look was more of a body thing. I don't think it was a skinny vs not thing (or it shouldn't have been) but more of a posture and carriage thing--
It was both. Its Kyla Ross v.s. Aly and Shawn. Long, thin, muscular but in a ballet kind of way.

This is the social media content I want to see. Also, check out Luisa Blanco’s instagram. It’s great, she’s been videoing everything. It looks like Alison is there as her accredited coach, which is pretty cool. She has been hanging out with Levi.

Also, Janelle is there for Emma and she went to see Juliette Landi dive.

I just can't believe that we're talking about Mykayla Skinner, yet again, and slap bang in the middle of the Olympics. The sheer amount of oxygen in the room this topic manages to take up never ceases to amaze me. I resent myself for doing it, and yet I still am and I expect I'll do it again.
It's kinda ridiculous isnt it. Everyone needs to stop giving her attention instead of obsessing over everything she does or making everything about her

I doubt any of them thought about it half as much as people online are talking about it. They probably noticed the unfollow, laughed, posted a quick tweet, and moved on. I've certainly posted stuff on social media about things that were just silly passing thoughts.

The only hair that bothers me in competitions is the intentionally messy rat's nest half messy bun half ponytail thing with stringy bits hanging down that NCAA gymnasts do a lot. I prefer at least an attempt to have hair neat and tidy.

It was both. Its Kyla Ross v.s. Aly and Shawn. Long, thin, muscular but in a ballet kind of way.
Right, but I don't think it was necessarily just genetic luck of the draw. Proper dance training probably had something to do with it.

Also, damn, those robes look cozy.

I doubt any of them thought about it half as much as people online are talking about it. They probably noticed the unfollow, laughed, posted a quick tweet, and moved on. I've certainly posted stuff on social media about things that were just silly passing thoughts.

The only hair that bothers me in competitions is the intentionally messy rat's nest half messy bun half ponytail thing with stringy bits hanging down that NCAA gymnasts do a lot. I prefer at least an attempt to have hair neat and tidy.
Someone with that many followers is fully aware when what they post will create attention and commotion

Okay I haven’t chimed in about this, but I thought this post from Simone was brilliant. I usually don’t love social media feuds but this was fire.

Especially since MyKayla would never have gotten a medal of any color if it weren’t for Simone getting the twisties. How hard is it to just be respectful and supportive?

random question but what is does Simone's tattoo on her shoulder say?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back