Americans in Paris- Forbes article

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Pretty sure the US table tennis and badminton teams are generally made of Chinese imports or children of recent immigrants. I think a lot of other countries also field teams that have players who also joined up after leaving China. And Rhythmic in the US seems to be someone Russian, Eastern European or the child of said nationalities. Probably cuz that is where the sports have lots of interest and funding. Like...women's gymnastics in the US. If they could figure out how to do it, I bet US MAG wouldn't mind importing a Japanese or Chinese men's gymnast but they probably can make more money staying in Asia since MAG doesn't have much respect (or funding) here. (though to give some props to the men, the current top guys aren't that far behind the top teams but they are definitely going to benefit from Russia not being there).

I'd already thought that - so many gymnasts changing nationality to get in a national team elsewhere. On paper it looks like a good variety of countries taking part but not really if you cross off all those born and raised in more successful gymnastics countries. Not just the US by the way.

I'd already thought that - so many gymnasts changing nationality to get in a national team elsewhere. On paper it looks like a good variety of countries taking part but not really if you cross off all those born and raised in more successful gymnastics countries. Not just the US by the way.
I am surprised that Ferrari hasn’t switched to Bulgaria

I can see why Ferrari opted to stay put. It's only in the last few years that she's not been guaranteed a spot for Italy when healthy, so the issue didn't arise until maybe 2019? And since then, whenever she's been uninjured enough to make or have a realistic chance at making an Italian team, they've been medal contenders. We haven't seen enough from her this quad to call it yet, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if her current best chance of an Olympic medal in Paris is team bronze.

In terms of the issue being discussed, I get the complaints about the tripartite spot, since that's supposed to be about representation. But people who want there to be more representation of athletes who train in particular countries would do better to advocate for that specifically.

Too often on the wider gymternet (not here, but invariably on reddit) there are people complaining because individual qualifiers for spots aren't based in the country of citizenship, despite the fact that the selection criteria aren't intended to achieve that. It's like trying to fit square pegs in round holes. Anyone who wants that should set it out specifically, instead of complaining when second generation immigrants live and train in the US but ignoring it when eg Melanie does because France are rich too.

I can see why Ferrari opted to stay put. It's only in the last few years that she's not been guaranteed a spot for Italy when healthy, so the issue didn't arise until maybe 2019? And since then, whenever she's been uninjured enough to make or have a realistic chance at making an Italian team, they've been medal contenders. We haven't seen enough from her this quad to call it yet, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if her current best chance of an Olympic medal in Paris is team bronze.

In terms of the issue being discussed, I get the complaints about the tripartite spot, since that's supposed to be about representation. But people who want there to be more representation of athletes who train in particular countries would do better to advocate for that specifically.

Too often on the wider gymternet (not here, but invariably on reddit) there are people complaining because individual qualifiers for spots aren't based in the country of citizenship, despite the fact that the selection criteria aren't intended to achieve that. It's like trying to fit square pegs in round holes. Anyone who wants that should set it out specifically, instead of complaining when second generation immigrants live and train in the US but ignoring it when eg Melanie does because France are rich too.
has ferrari made the team at all this quad? She didn’t make team selection for Tokyo, she qualified as an individual and was only added to the team because someone else got injured (Italy gonna Italy)

has ferrari made the team at all this quad? She didn’t make team selection for Tokyo, she qualified as an individual and was only added to the team because someone else got injured (Italy gonna Italy)
I think she's been injured on and off for most of it. The Gymternet doesn't have any scores for her since 2021. Last quad was a bit different too because she was going for the individual Olympic spot, so the issue of competition for the team didn't matter so much then either.

Ferrari has a really good chance of making the team this year, even just having a decent DTY would probably put her there, unless Martina Maggio can do something very impressive at the last selection event.

I'm also not sure Ferrai would've been healthy enough to qualify through any of the individual routes either. Which competing for Bulgaria she'd have needed to do.

It sounds counterintuitive, but making one of the best teams in the world probably is the most straightforward path to Paris she had.

Was it a two for one deal? (Looking for an affordable option)
We are not charged for healthcare here. If you can, go for a surgeon whose experience is with sports injury rather than old people regardless of what’s happened to your knee. Although I imagine this is more expensive.
Ouch. Bet that recovery's going to be a dead easy one with a baby knocking around the place too. Hope it goes smoothly!
My thunder was somewhat stolen when the follow week, Mr MaryClare almost severed a finger and had to have it surgically reattached.

We are not charged for healthcare here. If you can, go for a surgeon whose experience is with sports injury rather than old people regardless of what’s happened to your knee. Although I imagine this is more expensive.

My thunder was somewhat stolen when the follow week, Mr MaryClare almost severed a finger and had to have it surgically reattached.
I think you still win. Just on the strength of numbers.

My dad did similar a couple of years ago in an incident with a saw, but decided not to bother with the reattachment surgery. He's quite enjoying having a stump.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back