Social Media Paris Athletes

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I just can't believe that we're talking about Mykayla Skinner, yet again, and slap bang in the middle of the Olympics. The sheer amount of oxygen in the room this topic manages to take up never ceases to amaze me. I resent myself for doing it, and yet I still am and I expect I'll do it again.
It really is something, isn’t it? The first big gymternet story after London was Skinner unveiling the Cheng and Moors and we haven’t been able to shut up about her almost 12 years later.

IMG_1463.jpeg

They are indeed too successful for this.

I thought Simone expecially, blessed in the gym, blessed in never having uttered a word out of place.

Now, right when yet again she is so high up she has to look down to see heaven, why would she feel like, how should I say this, not letting go of an ill spoken view, that came from a gymnast the US history barely resisters?
Agreed, I'm not sure why she dredged it up again. I think Simone loves social media waaaaaaay too much. She loves the attention, honestly. Which was part of why I was kind of ambivalent about the things that happened in Tokyo. I think you can trace a lot of the pressure she felt back to social media--both by amassing huge numbers of followers who heaped pressure on her, but also feeding the trolls in Tokyo when she might have done better to unplug and focus on trying to stay calm and work through whatever chaos she was going through.

To be honest, I'm really over athletes acting like ninth graders on social media. "Ooh, this person said this, and then this other person blocked them, and these people responded with laughing emojis!" It's so stupid. These are all adults. I'm especially disappointed with USA Gymnatics weighing in on this--they probably have a paid social-media director who writes this stuff. And even THAT person thought it was worthwhile to respond to Simone's petty post? Grow up.

Why are female athletes expected to look like they are going to a formal event while they are competing?
I don’t think they are expected to look formal at all. The comments that Simone has received regarding hair are overwhelmingly from other black women, who frequently criticise the hair of black women on social media.

Why are female athletes expected to look like they are going to a formal event while they are competing?
It’s just female athletes in certain sports…the more traditionally feminine ones (gymnastics, figure skating, artistic swimming, etc.). I’d also consider track and field and tennis as sports where fashion and beauty seem to play a role. I don’t think swimming, diving, and soccer have the same standards.

Last edited:
The look was important for a lot of years. They talk about it on the Netflix series when discussing black girls and Simone. For years the ideal was the blonde pony-tailed girl. The standard Betty Okino said she would never meet and it bothered her that some of that judgment hurt them.

I don’t think they are expected to look formal at all.
The criticism is definitly selective, at least to my knoledge.

Say, the chinese look like kids, with the star shaped hair clip, and the I used no brush for this bun look.

Personally, I enjoy that, and I'm glad there's still a place for it.

I mean, I enjoy indulging in a little bit of pettiness, but in the end, the best revenge is living well, so they should focus on relishing their Olympic experience and exploring Paris if they can and let Skinner seethe at home.
Listen, people do and say silly things when the adrenalin is flowing. These days it plays out on social media. I don’t mind the Golden Girls having a little fun with this even if it’s a little petty and immature.

Listen, people do and say silly things when the adrenalin is flowing. These days it plays out on social media. I don’t mind the Golden Girls having a little fun with this even if it’s a little petty and immature.

We see unhinged rants on social media all the time. And arguments. Anything people are inclined to do or say makes it to social media.

I'm especially disappointed with USA Gymnatics weighing in on this--they probably have a paid social-media director who writes this stuff. And even THAT person thought it was worthwhile to respond to Simone's petty post? Grow up.
Yes, that's poor. If I were a USAG employee I'd be treading a bit more carefully with an athlete who experienced abuse at the hands of their organisation. Even when said athlete is not a very sympathetic character.

The criticism is definitly selective, at least to my knoledge.

Say, the chinese look like kids, with the star shaped hair clip, and the I used no brush for this bun look.

Personally, I enjoy that, and I'm glad there's still a place for it.
It isn’t so much that it’s selective, it’s exclusively American? None of the Italians looked liked they were going to a formal event and no one cares

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back