Shannon Miller's DTY

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I always remember thinking that Miller’s FTY was so perfect that a DTY couldn’t be too difficult, but clearly it was and we never saw it again.

Well that looked like it hurt. This is the first time I’ve seen it from this angle. I know there’s another video on YouTube (or there was), but the landing is hidden behind a sign, if I recall.
She was apparently working on in ‘95 or ‘96 too. It was in one of her books or her mom’s(?).

Definitely. That was kind of true for all her work aside from beam though, she didn’t really show the ability to do the skills needed to be really competitive in the AA beyond about 94. The time she competed is about as late as she could’ve been that successful.

I feel like the problem is her shoulder angle and it’s because the horse is like 4 inches too far back for where her board is. I wonder if they ever played with moving her board a little closer OR having her turn her roundoff over just a liiiiittle bit more so that her dive backward to the horse would have gone back just a little more. Those can be really, really, really hard changes to make though. So much of her vaulting was probably totally ingrained in her by this point…

On the table, this would probably be fixable because (a) her board would be closer to the horse and (b) she would just reach back instead of trying to get her hands on the front of the table and be able to block more correctly. She would have had a reliable double for years on the table, I think. (but never an Amanar)

Last edited:
I also think the table if you hit it right has a bit more “pop” than the hourse. The table is just a bit springier or at least that has been my experience from being around the high school gymnastics world around the time we made the switch to the table. This was back in the day when it was mostly a sea of front handsprings with some half on-half offs for variety, and these are obviously super easy vaults compared to anything the elites perform.

Definitely more pop from the table, and just so much more area to get that pop. If you didn’t hit the old horse just right, it was pretty dead.

I always wondered why Shannon’s vaults were a bit anemic compared to what I would expect of her, and this would explain so much. I’d never noticed how long/indirect her reach back to the horse was, but it really is taking away potential kinetic energy.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back