Russia-Ukraine War: Effects on Gymn World

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Fortunately, USAG does! Last time Russia attended was 2012, although it is possible I missed something while looking at results.

2008 Russia sent Alena Zmeu, Lyudmila Grebenkova, and Anna Myzdrikova for seniors, and Komova(!), Nailiya Mustafina, and Violetta Malikova as juniors. (I completely forgot Komova went; she finished 3rd behind Becca Bross and Sami Shapiro) Teams were mixed junior and senior, Russia finished 5th.

No team was sent in 2010, but they did have some individuals. Juniors Anna Rodionova and Maria Stepanova attended, as did Ksenia Afanasyeva.

2012 saw Russia finish 6th, again mixed juniors and senior teams. Seniors were Anastasiya Marchuk and Maria Stepanova, with Maria Kharenkova, Ekaterina Baturina, and Anastasia Belova for juniors.

I was like hmmm this looks genuinely significant. Then I got to the “Lithuanian sports minister” bit. I’ll wait until the USOC makes a statement.

Confirmation that Russia have been invited to take part in the Gymnastics competition at Asian Games. What we really want to know about though is Asian Championships.

In other sports news, the USA, Canada, Great Britain, Ireland and Czech Republic (so far) have announced a boycott of the World Boxing Championships, where Russia and Belarus will compete with flags and anthems. Boxing does have really serious governance issues as well which are also contributing to this.

According to Luba on twitter, Viner has said the Asian federation is awaiting an FIG response on whether Russia can compete and if there are any conditions.

I know the Asian Games isn’t a worlds qualifier, so would they be able to do both that and Euros in the hypothetical scenario of FIG letting them back in or is it an either/or? This assumes Euros are still held in Turkey rather than being moved potentially to somewhere that won’t let Russian athletes in, ie that the issue won’t be moot.

Today I was discussing dermatology with a friend, and wanted to show her photos of Nikita Nagornyy from 2016 and more recently (I don’t know who his dermatologist is- but wow). In my image search, I came across this photo from Rio and it made me extremely sad

How old is he there? My son had a bad case of acne when he was about 13-15 years old. He’s 17 now and it’s much, much better. He went from having his face almost fully covered to just the occasional spot here and there.

Oleg Verniaiev has expressed in interviews and on social media about how betrayed he feels. That photo definitely puts things in perspective.

Kind of sucks to have your worst cystic acne outbreak not only on the world’s biggest stage but be forever immortalized on the Internet.

And yes, the photo does put things in perspective and leaves one to wonder if the two countries will find their way back to fraternity or do the feelings of betrayal and the trauma run too deep now and even fifty years after the invasion will Ukraine look at Russia with a suspicious eye.

What do you all think about this?

Last edited:
My personal opinion, this is stupid. If this was a decision made by principle, the principle still stands. If you can’t uphold this principle indefinitely then you should not have banned in the first place. This only makes it be a pr move last year. You end up satisfying nobody.

Eta: just clarifying, i did not read the articles, I’m assuming that Russia and Belarus are being allowed to compete in an international competition and opening up the door to worlds and Olympics, if that isn’t the case, then never mind! #toolongdidnotread #atthegym

Last edited:
This has already been discussed in the Russia-Ukraine thread. It was announced a couple of weeks ago

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back