Post qualifications WAG musings

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I guess I’m just not loving the way everyone is dragging on Simone (and yes, even her landings). As far as I noticed- and I know I’ll be corrected if I’m wrong- she’s the only woman to make all the finals, all four events plus the AA. Even with the landings and even with the tight scoring. It seems that everyone is poised to turn on her at the drop of a hat, but she’s still amazing even when she’s human.
Of course she is, but it’s a fact that had she not been off today the US would be in first. Her landings on vault, beam and floor will have cost the US nearly two points, and they lost by 1.067. It isn’t turning on her to point this out, any more than it would be unwarranted praise to point out that despite a bad day Simone is still winning 40% of the individual events with a silver in one more. It’s simply a reflection of how much the US rely on her.

Last edited:
I’ve not seen anyone dragging Simone either. If anything, awe that she can afford some big mistakes on FX and VT and still make finals in the top 2.

Reactions: Bob
I think the lack of international experience really hit Jordan hard, whereas international exposure really benefited Jade.
100% this.

Has Jordan ever received a legit, international E Score?

I feel like the 7.6 E score on floor really spooked her. And then she went to vault, probably expecting a 9.6 like they were throwing her at Trials and she got a 9.3.

She probably then thought - shit, I need to really hit bars and beam to make the AA. And that’s what happens when huge Olympic pressure hits an athlete who has little international experience.

Last edited:
how it needs to be fixed, e.g., USAG domestic scoring.
I think the problem isn’t that they picked Skinner. She was clearly the best +1 on the night at Trials, after Riley fell.

The problem is that they’ve been feeding her the USAG domestic scoring bullshit so hard, and for so long, that she genuinely believed that she had a shot at making two finals, and even the AA final.

To come away empty handed, with a 7.1E score for a lights out beam set, must be heartbreaking.

I think this is her first major international meet the US could have sent more of their Olympic hopefuls to the friendship solidarity meet that would have been perfect for Chiles.

I think this is her first major international meet the US could have sent more of their Olympic hopefuls to the friendship solidarity meet that would have been perfect for Chiles.
Isn’t that the meet where Skinner got a 14.1 on floor though?

And that’s the risk, isn’t it? The USA has taken gymnasts where the Olympics were their first major international competition. It paid off in spades with Kyla Ross in 2012.

I think the lack of international experience really hit Jordan hard, whereas international exposure really benefited Jade.
It’s funny, I remember us idly musing in summer 2019 on the prospect of Jordan sneaking onto the Olympic team, and everyone living to regret that she hadn’t been taken to worlds at some point or at least Pan Ams, just for experience. It still seemed a bit of a long shot, we were thinking more in terms of a surprise 4th place at Trials rather than an absolute stormer of a season like she had… but what we half joked about, has come to pass.

Also looking up and seeing the scoreboard and not only is Skinner ahead of you in the all around but so is Jade Carey who is also leading Biles.

I agree; sorry if that didn’t come across in my post. As much as I didn’t like it, it made sense that she got the +1 after McCusker fell. But yes, she was fed inaccurate, inflated scoring that she came to Tokyo with no sense of reality and that reality smacked into her like a bucket of ice-cold water.

And with everything she was saying on her YouTube show, I think this outcome was probably worse than her being relegated to alternate again.

I don’t recall Skinner attending that meet, wasn’t her meet in Canada?

She knew but it was not public. It has been plastered all over the media and it is not Gina Chiles name in the headlines, its Jordan’s name. It has to be rattling. I am also sure that she is getting hounded about by the media… not just mainstream but also on social media.

I feared this was going to happen when the news came out a few weeks back.

Will melnikova do the cheng in TF to help Rsssia beat the US? I’m wondering the same about Biles and the YDP but Biles doesn’t need to do that vault for the US to win

Was Jesolo cancelled this year? It’s disappointing that there wasn’t more effort put into finding international opportunities to compete.

Biles might be best doing the Amanar. That got 15.4 today and we all know she can do it in her sleep. The US lost by 1.067 and Simone would make up over 40% of that by doing her simplest vault. The US don’t need to go all out to win. If they hit better than Russia they should still get the gold.

Melnikova should probably do the Cheng though.

I wasn’t actually thinking of here on my post, I was thinking of the mainstream media articles (so, so many of them) that I’ve seen popping up all over the place.

Simone just needs to be Simone and USA wins. Granted the rest of the team had troubles, but the 1 point loss to Russia is pretty much Biles’ deductions on VT, BB, FX alone.

I would say gelya should do the cheng, also cause it would be good to have another go at it and maybe decide what to do in aa. They would need her to do the cheng in tf, she might be ok with the dty in the aa

This is so crazy. While I admit - I actually do like Skinner - Jade was so clearly better on vault. It wasn’t really comparable. And i wanted Skinner on vault. Just wasnt her night.

On the team - I’d rather watch her compete than Jordan in 3 up 3 count right now but I certainly think Grace has been impressive so I think the team is fine.

They just need to get it back together. I think they will.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back