Other Olympic Sports--Articles and Discussion

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I would get rid of team tournament sports. Things like basketball. The number of people(athletes, coaches, support staff, officials) and days allotted for just one set of medals to be awarded adds too much bloat to an already out of control cost to each Olympics.
The only issue with that is that they can (usually) be big ticket sellers and reuse stafiums that already exist. You aren't likely to get tickets for the WAG team final (unless you are a celeb, apparently) but you know you can get one for an opening round of soccer. And the country doesn't have to build something new for it (and can claim that their tickets start at $20! How affordable!) But maybe give host countries a list of tournament sports and let them eliminate 2 or 3 that they don't have the infrastructure to support.

Martial arts are too heavily represented but they basically just need a high school gym so I see why they keep them all in.

Great work from Andreja Leski (SLO) and Prisca Awiti Alcaraz (MEX) in the judo women's -63kg final. (geoblocked video)

Last edited:
It's nearly 10PM Paris time; these swimmers have to compete late. Good grief.

IMG_7943.jpeg
IMG_7945.jpeg

A legend retired today. I saw him play live many times, including the Davis cup final GB won. He has so much determination and has given everything to his tennis. 2012 Olympics, 2013 Wimbledon, 2015 Davis cup and the 2016 Olympic final are memories that I treasure. I’m crying typing this because he means a lot to me. Thank you Andy ❤️

Another Marylander here who has no idea what’s in the water for those swimmers! My kid certainly isn’t drinking it lol
I'm over on the VA side and I keep drinking the water, hoping for super powers (there is a military base near me so I feel the chances are good), but so far, nada.

Tonight we’re watching race walking. I know it’s got to be hard but it’s just so silly looking!

I need to know what part of the Potomac is generating these swimming mutants in Maryland.
MoCo represent!!!!!!

Swimming is just a thing for Montgomery county kids. We all do summer swim team. There are so many neighborhood and community pools there. And then there are a ton of strong year round clubs as a result, like RMSC. Back in they day UMCY used to churn out great swimmers who would then go to Bob Bowman in Baltimore or PVSC, but sadly UMCY doesn't exist any more, and Upper MoCo is fra poorer for it.

Last edited:
A time-honored tradition of gym fans.

Equestrian doesn’t belong. The horse is the actual athlete.

My guilty pleasure is watching the the cross country phase of the 3 day eventing. If you fall off then you are out and take your team out with you ... sometimes I wonder if gymnastics should be like that.

My guilty pleasure is watching the the cross country phase of the 3 day eventing. If you fall off then you are out and take your team out with you ... sometimes I wonder if gymnastics should be like that.
I like the horse dancing visually, but I'm not sold that training your horse to dance (okay, trot and whatnot in a pattern) is needed in the Olympics. But it is fun to watch.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back