Other Olympic Sports--Articles and Discussion

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Christa Deguchi missed out on the Tokyo Olympics because of Judo's one per country per weight class rule. She became the first Canadian Olympic Champion today, and Canada's first gold medalist of the games.

Surfing today was nuts. Storm blowing in, so massive waves for the men round 3, and then things got so dangerous that the women were postponed to tomorrow.

Last edited:
I'm into the aquatic sports: swimming, surfing, and diving. Though I need to catch track because a few people from my county are competing.

In Tokyo I got obsessed with sport climbing, especially speed climbing. That’s toward the end of the Olympics so this kayak and canoe stuff is gonna tide me over. I just discovered there’s something called kayak cross and it it’s anything like snowboard cross in the Winter Olympics I cannot wait.

Surfing today was nuts. Storm blowing in, so massive waves for the men round 3, and then things got so dangerous that the women were postponed to tomorrow.
Surfing is INSANE. I wonder if it's sand or a reef underneath the site? The power of the waves is crazy. Tahiti looks super pretty, though.

I was only in Tahiti briefly, on my way to Bora Bora. Easily the most gorgeous place I have ever seen.

Surfing is INSANE. I wonder if it's sand or a reef underneath the site? The power of the waves is crazy. Tahiti looks super pretty, though.
I think it’s a reef. I read something about one of the contestants hitting their head on a reef today and needing stitches.

I think it’s a reef. I read something about one of the contestants hitting their head on a reef today and needing stitches.
Okay, officially a terrifying sport.

Yes, they explained on the broadcast that the reef is part of the natural conditions that make perfect waves, but it’s only a couple feet deep in some places so also super dangerous. At the end of some runs you can see the reef through the water and the surfers have to quickly hop off!

Yeah, the reef will ruin your life. It's what makes the waves there so great to surf, because they consistently break in the same spot. But it's crazy dangerous.

I wanna say the phrase "murder wave" was used to describe it, but I can't recall where I read that.

ETA: my husband found flights+hotel in Tahiti for crazy cheap over Christmas. Which....tempting. But then I reminded him we're already committed for the week between Christmas and new years. In Canada. Because we're crazy.

I had to laugh, watching Asher losing Opposite Olympics the same day he wins real Olympic bronze.

Watching beach volleyball for the Men right now and the guys are SWEATINNNNG.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back