Other Olympic Sports--Articles and Discussion

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I have no idea what's going on with surfing. My husband says scoring is based a vibes, dude. (Yes, really, that's how he said it) People keep crashing. It's completely crazy.
Surfing was shockingly boring. My husband said it really just needs to be a highlight reel.

Surfing was shockingly boring. My husband said it really just needs to be a highlight reel.
I agree. I watched some and got bored. Highlight real is probably really exciting but there was too much hurry up and wait for me to deal with on TV

I agree. I watched some and got bored. Highlight real is probably really exciting but there was too much hurry up and wait for me to deal with on TV
And the bits I've seen explained nothing about the scoring. I was trying to figure out if it was time in the wave, height of the wave, how long you stayed on your board but had no clue. And where are the judges cuz the wave covers the surfer 80 percent of the time. All I take comfort in is that the competitors must agree that the scoring system makes sense or they wouldn't be there.

The Rafael Nadal/Carlos Alcaraz (ESP) dream duo lost their quarter final match. Earlier Nadal was eliminated from singles in the second round. So it's been an underwhelming performance from the clay master.

In Tokyo I got obsessed with sport climbing, especially speed climbing. That’s toward the end of the Olympics so this kayak and canoe stuff is gonna tide me over. I just discovered there’s something called kayak cross and it it’s anything like snowboard cross in the Winter Olympics I cannot wait.
I liked the one where they had to figure it out like it was a puzzle and see how far they got.

I watch everything I can. Couldn't understand the surfing which seemed to take ages for one short ride. Windsurfing up on foils is mad, love triathlon, any cycling, diving, some swimming, bit of rugby. Canoeing is good. Shooting today was great with the Guatemalan lady getting their first ever gold. I remember hand ball was amazing at 2012 must look that up.

I liked the one where they had to figure it out like it was a puzzle and see how far they got.
That one is bouldering. So cool to see them try and puzzle that out. Last time, bouldering and speed climbing were combined into one metal but this time it’s two separate events. Yay for twice rock climbing!

Can someone please explain to me how table tennis is an Olympic sport?

Last edited:
I haven't found a pic but the 10 m platform synchro diver's swim suit looked a lot the British girls leos. Kind of cool to see them unified in their uniforms.

A time-honored tradition of gym fans.

Equestrian doesn’t belong. The horse is the actual athlete.

A time-honored tradition of gym fans.

Equestrian doesn’t belong. The horse is the actual athlete.
Uhmm, yes, the horse is an athlete, but riding at that level? That requires an athlete as well. Cross country, in particular, isn't a stroll down the trail. Neither is training and working with the horse in dressage. How about--since we don't like people suggesting gymnastics isn't a sport since it's highly subjective--we don't gatekeep what counts as a sport?

Nah, this our fun. No one has to agree and none of us have the power to affect anything so it is no big deal.

Sailing (nobody watches it, no one cares who wins
Breakdancing (tentatively, ill make the final call after watching it)
Modern Pentathalon (should have been retired after Atlanta)
BMX (needs a custom stadium for like 4 days of competition)

All saved spots given to gymnastics, of course!

Nah, this our fun. No one has to agree and none of us have the power to affect anything so it is no big deal.

Sailing (nobody watches it, no one cares who wins
Breakdancing (tentatively, ill make the final call after watching it)
Modern Pentathalon (should have been retired after Atlanta)
BMX (needs a custom stadium for like 4 days of competition)

All saved spots given to gymnastics, of course!
omg I love the sailing! The rest I'm with you. Breakdancing eh? I mean if you are going to have dancing you need ballet. Although I could get behind each olympics including a dance relating to their country. France could have a can can comp and we could have Morris dancing lol.

BMX is just big boys on little bikes and belongs in the local park. Sorry. I have made a point of watching it to try and educate myself. I feel skateboarding is pretty much the same. Surfing is just boring as a sport.

To me most of these sports including climbing are a tremendous skill and an all encompassing way of life. A personal and emotional connection to a skill and way of being. Not a sport. A sport pits you against others whereas these should rightly only pit yourself against yourself and the terrain/ waves/ mountain.

I’m going to the RG next week because I believe it will soon be withdrawn from the Olympics.
Although what it is does have going for it is that it’s a sport that’s dominated by Jewish and Muslim women.

I would get rid of team tournament sports. Things like basketball. The number of people(athletes, coaches, support staff, officials) and days allotted for just one set of medals to be awarded adds too much bloat to an already out of control cost to each Olympics.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back