Nina Derwael unveils Yurchenko 1 1/2 at Belgian internal Test

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

irichluck21

Staff member
Defender
In a recent tst event, Nina Derwael of Belgium won the AA and debuted a Yurchenko 1 1/2. No video as of yet but reports are that it had height and distance and was landed well albeit a few steps forward. This is huge for her AA efforts come Tokyo.

Last edited:

Rough video of UB…holy hell!!! She is catching the Nabs in mixed grip! She needs to tidy things up a little, but otherwise it looks like a monster routine. Anyone able to work out D score?

Whoaaaaa the mixed grip is wild! The video seems to start after an initial release, judging by the close-bar catch and only 7 D+ skills. I assume she opens with a Nabieva.

Nabieva G
Nabieva 1/2 + Ezhova + Chow + Pak + Chow 1/2 HDDDE .6
Toe 1/1 + DT 1/1 DD .1
HGEDDDDD 4.0 + 2.0 + .7 = 6.7

She’s also training a Mustafina dismount. In isolation it looks good from what I’ve seen, but I haven’t seen video of her doing it after the toe 1/1, nor after a full routine.

Sunisa’s latest routine–unless there’s a new one!–is out of a 6.8. I think Fan would need to upgrade her routine to keep up with them.

Who would have thought, way back in 2010, that the Nabz would basically be the go-to element for bar routines in 2021.

Also - if we see Nabz’ from Stalder or Clear Hip - are we thinking H? Must be, right?

not that FIG follows logic(or even it’s own logic) but a toe on full or stalder full are worth the same as are a khorkina, Van Leeuwen, stalder half so I’m not sure if the entry matters so much?

@tempest well I guess a Ray is D and a Ricna/Hindorf is E. Both are straddled Tkatchev.

Likewise, a Piked Ray is an E but a Shang is an F, I think?

That would suggest going one letter up for Tkatchev releases when they are from a Stalder/Clear Hip.

Likewise, a Piked Ray is an E but a Shang is an F, I think?

That would suggest going one letter up for Tkatchev releases when they are from a Stalder/Clear Hip.
I think that an anomaly though… I’m sure someone else can explain it better but I remember something about why a Ray is only a D is that the description of the skill does NOT require the skill to go to handstand… does that sound familiar to anyone?

Of the ‘original’ close bar entry to Tkatchev elements, only the Hindorff has consistently been given a value of E, since Es entered the WAG COP in 1993. The Ricna was raised from a D to an E beginning with the 2001 - 2005 COP. The Ray entered the COP as a D, was raised to an E for the 2006 COP and subsequently downgraded to a D with the 2013 COP.

Regarding the passing through handstand portion of the skill, this was included as part of the skill description for both the Hindorff and the Ricna until the 2006 COP, but not the Ray. The Ricna also was formerly two separate elements, a version that stated stalder through handstand (Ricna), and simply stalder backward (Kessler). These were consolidated into the same element number beginning with the 1993 WAG COP. In the 1997 COP, Kessler’s variation was dropped and only Ricna’s / the through handstand variation of the skill remained listed.

Last edited:
Speaking of Nabieva’s with alternative entries, Sanne showed a clear hip Nabieva in training in December:

I would think this would be an H. Does anyone else think the Nabieva is valued too high? There was something about Nabieva’s real “pop” technique–the arch, the airtime–that seemed more difficult. It seems so many are essentially doing a Maloney transition with more counter-rotation to grab the high bar. Is the Church harder than the Nabieva? Or am I overthinking this all? lol

I think the Nabz should be a G from a toe on, with deductions for piking (0.3 max) or excessive arch (0.1 Max).

I agree that from a clear hip or stalder it should be an H. I think with the 1/2 turn or catch in cross grip should both be an H too, but I think there should be a 0.1 precision deduction where the turn is clearly initiated on the bar rather than in the air.

That’s my view but others may disagree.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back