MyKayla Skinner Olympic participation

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

2289_2.png
MyKayla Skinner Olympic participation Women’s Gymn
Why wouldn’t she be allowed? It didn’t have to do with gymnastics. Would be the same as if she had a job working register at a pizza place. Like Worley modeling as a kid, they could have jobs and get paid as long as it wasn’t to do with their sport / sport image. ETA: Jordan Chiles’ clothing line is allowed the same way, it’s just selling clothes, not gymn related.
Not true.

If it was mentioned over and over that Skinner was a gymnast, World champion, Olympian, etc. It would not have been allowed. Which shocker …it was.

Especially because in the description, she promotes Home Chef, with a discount if you use her name.

However, July 1 that rule has changed as you can now use your image/likeness until Supreme Court rules on it.

Last edited:
I didn’t think her YouTube channel was monetized? Not that I watch too many of her videos, but i don’t recall any ads.

Same. She had so clearly moved on. To go back after getting on for a three year absence is a huge ask, the sort of thing you’d probably have to be really motivated to want to do. She blatantly wasn’t. I don’t blame her really, much as it looks fun for the younger ones I’m not sure I could’ve been arsed at 25 and married.

Based on her accounts that she was continuously robbed by NCAA judges an that she was not getting 10s like Ross and Nichols when she “absolutely deserved” them and called NCAA rules “stupid”.
I knew she was done with NCAA and figured she would give elite one more go.
She was the BEST NCAA gymnast by “metrics” but was overlooked by UCLA’s less difficult but viral routines.

Last edited:
Yeah, it was hard to see how someone who isn’t a big fan of the collegiate scoring and system in general was going to make a significant effort to go back. The way she evidently likes to do gymnastics has always been somewhat at odds with NCAA.

Yeah. She can likely make enough money to cover her “lost” tuition. And the therapy on her ankle/ foot is painful, I’m not sure she has another year of gymnastics left in her.

I think she will get a lot of attention from the media. Second only to Simone. she has the comeback story from 2016 that the media can hype, she had Covid-19 and an injury plus she is articulate and not shy in front of the camera. And she will be the loudest cheerleader for the other gymnasts. (And it would be nice to watch NCAA gym-style cheering rather the Simone ankle tape show.)

She is one who should monetize/go pro because people know US gymnasts get a gold medal…it could be a couple of weeks before people realize that she is not a garaunteed medalist.

I do also wonder whether Tom felt the pressure to name Skinner in the light of her substantial social media following.
I have also been wondering this. With the need to be non-controversial for USAG PR reasons, I think her vocal reaction to 2016 and her current social media presence add up to some pressure. In a 50:50 scenario it could sway things.

I remember so many comments that said she’d have no chance for the four person team even at her very best. She has improved but it’s incredible how many things aligned so that she almost made it (Hurd injury, McCusker injury, McClain withdrawl, DiCello bar falls, Wong bad beam). There’s always attritional fallout with the US process but in the deepest field since 2004 I don’t think I expected this many to be unviable by selection day(I know there’s an argument for Wong not being on this list as there was still an argument for her on the team).

She’s also said she wants to start a family soon. If they’re fortunate and that goes smoothly for them, I could see her doing very well in the young mother/baby market

Yes she is doing the Gold Tour with Biles.

Also…I would not be surprised in the slightest if Jordan Chiles goes pro following the Olympics.

Skinner isn’t on the tour. I was just at Barclay’s center for a Liberty game and they kept advertising the tour as Simone, Laurie Hernandez and Katlyn Ohashi which I thought was interesting.

I could have sworn it was mentioned somewhere that she joined the Gold Over America tour…I might be wrong.

Nope. The only person who’s joined it this year has been Jordan. The full roster is Simone, Laurie, Morgan, Jordan, Katelyn Ohashi, Peng Peng Lee, and Danusia Francis. (Worth noting that they’re all women of color which may or may not be intentional.)

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back